Apple Watch Screen Broken (commence freakout)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iSlanderous, May 17, 2015.

1. iSlanderous macrumors regular

So I have been using my watch like any normal watch. Wash my hands, it's gets a bit wet, but they said thats fine right? Possibly wrong....
    Saturday morning the watch was OK. Ran the brooklyn half on saturday and first noticed the screen was broken (see photos). This morning I noticed it is spreading. Looks like I'm heading to the apple store on Tuesday. Looks like apple care might be a good idea if you haven't got it.

Attached Files:

2. Danny80y macrumors member

Don't think you will need AppleCare to get that replaced....

3. iSlanderous thread starter macrumors regular

Well, you get the free year, but if this is happening one month in....who knows what else will happen?

4. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

There is a YouTube video of the same thing happening to someone else. Wonder how wide spread this issue may be.

5. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Wow that's weird. Is there a gap in the display?

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

7. Eightyone macrumors regular

If there is/was a gap in the display, water would be terribly bad for screen ingress:

H20 is highly damaging to OLED screens.

OLED is also highly susceptible to screen burn in; white backgrounds degrading their overall life; color shifting over time as sub pixel colors degrade and blue pixels having the shortest life.

8. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

This does appear to be a defect with the screen or the lens. That would definitely be covered by warranty.

Only reason you may want AC+ for this instance is to get yourself express replacement. Regular replacement has taken 2-3 weeks in some cases. That's a long time to be without your watch.

9. iSlanderous thread starter macrumors regular

I took it in to Apple store on Tuesday and they said it has to be repaired off site and it would take 5-7 business days. I was afraid they would take it and I would have to wait 3 weeks for a new one. I'm ok with it being repaired, as long as it comes back like new.

10. pulsarhj macrumors newbie

Same here

Hey, u r not the only one.
    Mine's got the exactly same problem, twice, believe or not. And by "exactly" I mean exactly the same black spot on the same place.
    I'm going to the Apple Store this Friday to get it repaired. Probably another week to wait until the replacement arrives.
    If it arrives, it'll be the replacement of this replacement of the watch that I bought.
    What a wonderful thing. I'm kindda regret to buy this 1st gen product.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You might have the first case of water damage. Apple should replace with a new watch. Hope they have one.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

OP clearly says the crystal is "broken" so any other damage (like water or dust) is secondary.;)

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The point is just like the iPhone if there is no sign of impact, Apple has been known to replace under warranty.;)

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you look at the OP's pics you can see a clear sign of a possible impact. The crack is several mm long and runs at an angle (unlike most stress cracks).

15. Varth Dader macrumors member

Where exactly. Not seeing it.

16. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Weird. Those photos almost look like three different watches. The upper seems to be clearly a Sport SG. The middle a SS, and the bottom a SS SB. The most obvious difference, if there is any, is the digital crown. Te lighting seems to make a difference.

17. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

At the very least, two in a million... it sounds like.
    *frets worriedly*

/sarcasm

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If is clear in 2 of the pics. Here is a cut out at full resolution. I can even see it on the small pics in the post.

[​IMG]

19. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Exact same problem in this thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1886386