Apple Watch Screen Nearly Always On

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blancoBronco, Oct 3, 2017.

1. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I'm asking for my girlfriend since she's been having a lot of battery issues with her watch.

I finally got her to check the usage numbers and it was on for over 7 hours, and standby for just under 8 hours.

She has it set to only 15 seconds wake on tap, and has minimal notifications.

She isn't just sitting around playing with her watch for 7 hours straight when she wakes up, why would the watch have that much screen time compared to the standby?

2. TomH TX macrumors regular

Tell her to turn off raise to wake, and to stop waiving her arms around!! LOL Seriously, certain twists of the wrist can activate it. I notice that when I am driving.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The raise to wake might have been the issue prior until it was deactivated by using tap to wake the display. I would also power down the Apple Watch and power it back on as well, that way if there's anything running in the background, it would stop that. And reevaluate the battery statistics after the Apple Watch is fully charged and powered back on.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Usage is not defined as just screen on time. It can be things running on the watch. Usage goes up if you are constantly messaging on your phone as the Apple Watch has to update the iMessage logs to stay up to date. Getting notifications from 3rd party iPhone apps on your watch count as usage as well. There are thousands of things that count as usage. Screen on time is only one of them.

5. blancoBronco thread starter macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

the problem with that is that I do things on my phone just as much as she does (e.g. texting) and my watch usage isn't anywhere close to hers. She had already limited the number of notifications that the watch gets to about the same that mine gets. the watch consistently dies early in the day comparatively and some days she is more active on her phone than others. I'm fairly certain it does have to do with the screen on time when you compare hers to mine as far as background things going on

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It could be one rogue app on her watch that is consuming power in the background. The only thing you can do is delete every app and give it a try, or unpair and repair, and install nothing. Try it for a few days and see if it continues.