Apple Watch screen popped

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Oswal, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Oswal macrumors newbie

Very sad , my Apple Watch series 1 is working but the screen popped off . I called the apple customer care who were prompt enough to reply . But the solution for the repairs was to pay from my pocket , Iam so sad the swollen battery physically damaged my watch and I have to pay to repair the watch from my pocket. I got the watch less than 3 years now. Very disappointed to know that the life of an expensive watch is less than 3 yrs.
    My family uses all apple devices , very sad. ☹️
    Does anyone has any suggestions , please.

2. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Other then complaint to Apple b/c of the swollen battery and it’s consequence, I don’t think you have much of a justifiable claim. The watch has a one year warranty and two if you had AC. You are beyond those time frames.

It might be cheaper to purchase a new watch than get it repaired.

Good luck.

3. Oswal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

4. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

I had Apple repair a GEN 1 watch with this issue for free. I was even upgraded to Series 1. Below is an article about the current program applying for Series 2

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/14/apple-watch-s2-swollen-battery-service-policy/

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

That happened to me on a Gen 1. They denied my replacement because the watch was 3yrs and 3 months old.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

At this point, I would just cut your losses, and upgrade to a different Apple Watch versus even trying to repair it, It probably would cost more than the watch is worth it self.

7. akash.nu, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019

akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Just because it’s called a watch, doesn’t really make it comparable to traditional watches that last for years exactly how iPhone can’t be comparable to traditional phones. The basic idea is that these are electronic consumable devices that are considered to be of use for maximum 2-3 years. Expecting anything more is borderline fantasies.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

It’s most likely from a swollen battery. Take it to an Apple Store. They will probably exchange it for free.

9. bad_robot, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

bad_robot macrumors newbie

Yes - apple series 1 may pop the screen due to swollen battery as a know issue. In aus, apple may sell you a refurbished? watch for over $300. May be better to put that towards a series 3.
    Poke the battery with a pin to release gas will allow you to re stick the screen as the watch should continue to work. If the face drops out completely by separating the 2 leads from the pin contacts, (a dangling face may not be obvious on your wrist) then that will be an unauthorised modification and apple wont replace the watch so make sure you stick the face back reliably. Replacement battery is about $8 and a new glass face complete can be about $60, face seal 5 for $4, all via ebay via china. But do the repair yourself before the face completely falls out. Youtube has videos showing face, battery replacement. One would hope the series 3/4 does not have a swollen battery issue which may be due to leaving the watch on the charger when it is at 100%

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You should not prick the battery with a pin and attempt to charge the device.

Your advice is actually DANGEROUS and should NOT be followed!

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

He lives on the edge.

[​IMG]

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Or...(here me out), allow a certified Apple store to make the repair for you and skip the whole ‘self-repair’ process of trying to do something you saw off YouTube, which in most cases, doesn’t work out the way you think it will.

13. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Do not, I repeat, do not poke the battery with a pin. Seriously incorrect and dangerous advice right there.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

I’m not even sure why that’s being allowed and not moderated, TBH.

15. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Right?

16. phastphil macrumors newbie

My Watch 1 just had the same issue, popped the face, but all else stayed connected. Apple wanted $79 to replace the battery. There are any number of replacement battery available on AMAZON for less than $20. I looked through them, and didn't think there was much downside - I already have a non functional Watch. No soldering needed - battery (as I understand it), plugs in with a micro connector). Really depends on how comfortable and handy you are.....I've been in broadcast engineering for many years and actually miss HOME BREWING equipment from my early days as a HAM RADIO OP. Now I need glasses to see up close, not like the old days with younger eyes.

But here is the good stuff, Amazon has the 42mm Watch 3 on sale for $229, which is the route I have taken and ordered it while sitting at the table at the Apple Store. I'll try to sell my Watch 1 as parts on eBay and maybe recoup $50 toward my new Watch 3. LET ME POINT OUT, this is a NEW Apple Watch with the standard 1-year warranty - be careful, buying on Amazon can have some vendors who are not as reputable as Amazon...look closely for Sold and Fulfilled by Amazon.