Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Account25476

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
Apple Watch SE (2° gen) (2022)
  • 44mm or 40mm case size
  • Crash Detection (High-g accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass Backtrack)
  • Redesigned Compass app with waypoints and backtrack
  • Cycle tracking (WOMEN ONLY)
  • $249 / €349 (Apple website)

Apple Watch Series 7 (2021)
  • 45mm or 41mm case size
  • Certified IP6X dust resistant
  • Always-On Retina display
  • Nearly 20% more screen area than Apple Watch SE
  • Blood Oxygen app
  • ECG app
  • Faster charge Up to 33% faster charging
  • Third-generation optical heart sensor (SE 2° has a "Second-generation optical heart sensor")
  • U1 chip (Ultra Wideband)
  • Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz and 5GHz (SE 2° has 2.4GHz)
  • €409 (Amazon website)
I Would say that the Series 7 is a better product considering a Δ of €60 prices.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I ordered a S7 this morning. $299 on sale, and since I'm a male, I don't need the cycle tracking. The crash detection would be nice to have, but I'm not going to sacrifice all the other features of the S7 just for that. Either one seems like a really good deal though, especially if you're buying your first watch like I am.

Reactions: macsound1

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
Yea does anyone else have any feedback on this? I'm considering getting one for my teenager but not sure which is better.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Yea does anyone else have any feedback on this? I'm considering getting one for my teenager but not sure which is better.
Crash detection but a lot lower end/less features? SE2. More features and basically everything besides the crash detection but otherwise same as the 8? S7. They’re roughly the same price right now, but if you want to go S7, move fast as it has been discontinued so any stock you find is just old stock that’s depleting.

Reactions: addamas and dizmonk

ymarker

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009

I had an older SE watch for my 6 year old. The absence of U1 on the SE (both 1st and 2nd gen) makes the watch a tad more difficult to locate when the kids seem to misplace the item and the watch is in silent mode.

My 8 year old has a used AW6 which does have the U1 chip and is much easier to locate.

Reactions: dizmonk

Spike77777

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
Utah
I ordered a S7 this morning. $299 on sale, and since I'm a male, I don't need the cycle tracking. The crash detection would be nice to have, but I'm not going to sacrifice all the other features of the S7 just for that. Either one seems like a really good deal though, especially if you're buying your first watch like I am.
Where did you get this sale price? I may have to go pick one up.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The fast charging is a big plus. If you’re low after a long run in the morning, you can top it up really quickly while you’re having a shower.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I've never felt like the SE was worth it. You can buy a used watch from last year for less than an SE and still get more features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.