Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has no plans to release a third-generation Apple Watch SE this year, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. In his Power On newsletter today, Gurman said the Apple Watch SE will remain on a two-year upgrade cycle, so the third-generation model can be expected to be released in September 2024.

apple-watch-se-2022.jpg

This means that the second-generation Apple Watch SE should remain a safe buy for customers considering purchasing one, as the device is not expected to be upgraded for over a year still and has plenty of time remaining in its lifecycle.

Previous generations of the Apple Watch SE launched in September 2020 and September 2022, as outlined in the MacRumors Buyer's Guide.

Priced starting at $249, the Apple Watch SE is the most affordable Apple Watch, but it lacks some features available on higher-end Apple Watch models, including the ECG app, Blood Oxygen app, an always-on display, and wrist temperature tracking. It also has thicker bezels and smaller case size options compared to the Apple Watch Series 7 and newer.

New models launching this year will include the Apple Watch Series 9 in two sizes, and a second-generation Apple Watch Ultra, according to Gurman.

Gurman also revealed that Apple tested a dark titanium color option for the Apple Watch Ultra last year, but decided against releasing it.

Article Link: Apple Watch SE 3: New Model Not Expected to Launch Until Next Year

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Honestly considering the price and limitations, and the fact that the Series 8 regularly goes on sale for $279, kind of hard to justify getting an SE, especially once it’s over a year old. $30 more gets you such a better device. I know it’s not the regular retail price but for two years now that’s been the price on Prime Day and it’s regularly on sale for not much more than that.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
"will remain on a two-year upgrade cycle" it was never on a two-year upgrade cycle. Apple Watch SE were released in 2019 and 2022.

The Watch has released a new form factor once every three years. The Watch SE has thus far come in the middle of each release cycle. The next SE will probably be alongside the "series 11"

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I am guessing the main difference for the regular one will be finally updating the chip that has been in use since Series 6 if I am not mistaken? no new sensors?

Sounds like next year will be a great year to finally update Series 6 and iPhone 12 PM.
Saying that "the chip" has been unchanged is somewhat misleading.
The only thing that's known for certain in this respect is that the logical design of the *CPU CORE* is unchanged.
Other things in the watch have definitely changed:WiFi, BT, sensors, presence of U1, screen, amount of RAM, ...

It's possible, for example, that even as the CPU stayed the same, the GPU was upgraded? Or the implementation was improved (ie using say N5 rather than N7)? We honestly don't know.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Honestly considering the price and limitations, and the fact that the Series 8 regularly goes on sale for $279, kind of hard to justify getting an SE, especially once it’s over a year old. $30 more gets you such a better device. I know it’s not the regular retail price but for two years now that’s been the price on Prime Day and it’s regularly on sale for not much more than that.
I came here to say the same thing.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Unlike the iPhone SE, the watch SE is not a hampered product. It just lacks some functionality many don’t need. Always on is something I turn off anyway, and not everyone needs the health functions. We have a cellular watch SE for our son so he has a safety net because he is disabled. Just need to able to locate him, set alarms, call in/out in an emergency.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
The only thing that's known for certain in this respect is that the logical design of the *CPU CORE* is unchanged.
Other things in the watch have definitely changed:WiFi, BT, sensors, presence of U1, screen, amount of RAM, ...

It's possible, for example, that even as the CPU stayed the same, the GPU was upgraded? Or the implementation was improved (ie using say N5 rather than N7)? We honestly don't know.
Well, Apple says the S6, S7, and S8 all have the same performance. Since battery life is also pretty constant, I going to put my money on no material differences, just ancillary stuff like BT or WiFi. However, the next one is supposed to be based on the A15, so it may offer something new in terms of performance or process node/battery life. I’m hoping they can give me a reason to come back (battery life 🤞 ) since my Venu has gotten a lot of abuse doing home renovation.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Unlike the iPhone SE, the watch SE is not a hampered product. It just lacks some functionality many don’t need. Always on is something I turn off anyway, and not everyone needs the health functions. We have a cellular watch SE for our son so he has a safety net because he is disabled. Just need to able to locate him, set alarms, call in/out in an emergency.
If you go through all the specs on SE 2022 (and older AW SEs) vs Series 5, 6, 7, 8 or Ultra, you'll realize that it's far more hampered than you'd gather from just reading Apple's description or from what most tech reviewers proclaim.

Yes, nearly all AWs have barely acceptable to decent battery life. But when you can charge from 0-80% in 45 minutes, the low battery life actually gets bearable.

SE 2022 could have been a great buy. But you'll simply not use the SE 2022 nearly as much a 7 or newer when getting from 0-80% takes 1.5 hours and 0-100% takes 2.5 hours.

If the upgrade from 7 to 8/Ultra seems to expensive then at the very least get a 7.

From the older slow-charging to the new fast-charging is a night and day difference, trust me.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018

Having used an SE 2022 and and a Series 7 and a Series 8 side-by-side, I can (anecdotally) say that 7 and 8 are indiscernible in difference (if there is one).

But SE 2022 does not run as smoothly as 7 and 8.

Whether it's down to the wireless radios being older/slower, or the SiP being different, or something else, type of RAM, etc., I can't say.

But the time for apps to load and swiping around WatchOS is more responsive on 7 and 8 over SE 2022.

*Yes, I know Apple touts the SE 2022 as being on par with 8 and Ultra in terms of the SiP. But it does not quite feel that way when using it.

But that lower $249 price tag isn't Apple being charitable, even if many like to look at it that way.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
For any UK readers for the larger size Series 8 it's currently £349 on Amazon and £299 for the SE - I know the Apple refurb store has cheaper for the SE2 but something makes me less keen on watch pre-owned.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

bookcase

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I have the Series 7, and if rumors hold, there won't be anything new to compel me to update to the 9. Just like the 8. I love the look of the Ultra, but that's far out of my price range and needs.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
"Apple Watch SE should remain a safe buy for customers"

I'd presume for most, there are a handful of negligible hardware abilities between the SE and the flagship line as is.
If you're fine with daily charging, and not enticed by any of the features, you've got a watch that can easily last five or six years with the SE2 for your usual alarms, fitness recordings, phone calls, and message notifications.

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
Got my SE base first gen for $149 at Walmart last year. I love it. Use it only for fitness and setting timers/reminders. It’s a great way to have those features within the Apple ecosystem. I charge it nightly (to give my wrist a break) and it faithfully lasts me through the day (like my base iPhone 13 Pro). I’ll only upgrade out of necessity (breakage), and only for that price again.

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
If you go through all the specs on SE 2022 (and older AW SEs) vs Series 5, 6, 7, 8 or Ultra, you'll realize that it's far more hampered than you'd gather from just reading Apple's description or from what most tech reviewers proclaim.

Yes, nearly all AWs have barely acceptable to decent battery life. But when you can charge from 0-80% in 45 minutes, the low battery life actually gets bearable.

SE 2022 could have been a great buy. But you'll simply not use the SE 2022 nearly as much a 7 or newer when getting from 0-80% takes 1.5 hours and 0-100% takes 2.5 hours.

If the upgrade from 7 to 8/Ultra seems to expensive then at the very least get a 7.

From the older slow-charging to the new fast-charging is a night and day difference, trust me.
Eh. I would hardly call the EKG and the AO must have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.