apple watch serie 0 not lasting a day

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kerouack, Mar 14, 2018.

1. kerouack macrumors member

Hello,
    I have a first edition apple watch updated to last OS.
    I am using it after some months not using it a lot.
    I wake up at 7:30, dont do any workout, and at 22:00 battery is 10% so goes to that saveing battery special mode.
    I remember when i buyed it at 223:00 or 23:00 battery was still 20% or 25%.

Is the problem the OS? or using it two years?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It could be battery degradation. When lithium ion batteries are not regularly used or charged, they naturally will deplete after some time. It’s possible your Apple Watch battery might be in need of replacement.

3. CNebs macrumors member

Sounds like a battery, but it could be something other than that. My wife had a Series 0 that would go to power reserve at 3:30 pm everyday. She’d put it on 6:30 am, no workouts, not a heavy user of the watch either. Thought it was the battery at first, but it was passing remote diagnostics for the battery. Brought it in the store, and no matter what Apple couldn’t connect to run other diagnostics so sent it off for repair. They determined it needed to be replaced. So I’m betting something with the board/Bluetooth since over WiFi at home the watch didn’t go into power reserve at 3:30 when she’d leave it home while at work with her iPhone. So they provided a rose gold Series 1 for $199 (out of warranty). I skipped it, didn’t feel it was worth it, and got her a Series 3 with GPS instead.

I will say she uses the Series 3 even more so than the Series 0.

4. Sean006 macrumors 6502

nah its probably right where mine is...ive had it since launch.
    i leave my place at 10 am get home at 10pm and its about 25%
    used to be maybe 75 % when i first got it...

sounds like just aging of the battery like mine

79.00 to get it replaced or buy a new one but i figured by now ill wait for the next version to see if they update the size or design

5. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

This has happened to mine as well, right after the update about a month ago. Have had no troubles going through the day with 20-30% left at the end of the day. Now it shuts down at 6 or 7 PM.

Hope it’s just a bug and not a big conspiracy

Series 3 stainless is not launched in my country yet so this is utterly annoying!!

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Take it to Apple for service. Depending on model there giving newer models as replacements.

7. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

Sounded like s similar experience with my wife's Series 0. She would put it on before 7am and it was down to 10% before 3 pm on many days. Took it to the Apple Store twice. They ran a battery test and said it was fine both times but didn't take any further action or run additional diagnostics. Finally, about four months later, she has a 38 mm Series 3 Sport w/ LTE. Now, her battery is at 70% at bedtime, after being on her wrist from 6:30 am. I know this is a new watch and battery, but it was never this good when the Series 0 was brand new.

8. Tuba macrumors newbie

Tuba

My series 0 gave me 18-20 hours when it was new 2.5 years ago, but has degraded to 12-16 hours over time. Using third party apps seems to be what hurts the most these days, without them I get ~16 hours consistently. Not too bad for a battery of that age in my opinion. I'm holding out on replacing it while I wait for my phone provider to start supporting eSIM and the Apple Watch 3 LTE (or whatever comes out while I'm waiting).

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a series 0. I downloaded a battery app and it told me that the capacity is down to 200 out of the original 250 mAh, or 80 percent. It's not bad considering that's over three years, but I turned off raise to wake months ago. Mine almost always makes it through the day unless I am using it for GPS directions. I might should turn that off considering it's not super helpful when I can see the phone screen, but I just haven't.

I think a battery replacement is $100. It should improve the life a little.

10. Tuba macrumors newbie

Tuba

Which app did you get? Given the difference in quality (and lack of reviews) for this type of app it would be a useful tip for the rest of us.

11. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, my Series 0 isn't lasting the day. Around 8:00pm, its giving me the low battery warning. I'm assuming its the battery at this point, its given its life to power my watch all these years.

13. robertpatryk macrumors member

Is there any other way to check Apple Watch’s battery health?
    I’m looking for any other options than the app “Bettery life”

14. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Which battery app?

15. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Not a solution, but running an S0 in Theater Mode. Still have about 50% left at end of day. Moderate toward light usage though. Still think it would go all day with heavier usage.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's called Battery Life. It's on version 2.1.6. When I searched for "Battery Life" in the App Store, it was the first one that came up. The title used is "Battery Life - check runtimes." The icon is green with a white battery with a lightning bolt in it.

17. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

But how does it check the battery on the watch?

18. antnee macrumors regular

I would definitely enable theater mode if you can handle not having the raise to wake function.

19. sjjordan macrumors 6502

My wife's 38mm series 0 had the same problem. Was dead by mid afternoon. I turned off "wrist screen on wrist raise" (general-->wake screen), disabled the prominent haptic and checked that she wasn't using a bright background. Now it goes all day. She doesn't mind having to tap it to check the time.

20. AGuerrav macrumors regular

AGuerrav

My series 0 does not last more than nine hours ...
    I have it a year and a half ago.