Apple Watch "Series 0" broken...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleFanBoii, Feb 18, 2017.

1. AppleFanBoii macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

hey everyone,

Just a quick thread to see if anyone else has had this problem with the original series 0,

So I bought my watch day one, Stainless Steel model, been with me since that day, but only this week I believe it's now come to its end, when I was working out I noticed my calories weren't going up, reset my watch and it was stuck on Apple logo, not until I got home and put it on charge it finally booted up, even after numerous hard resets,

It's happened everyday now, but last night seemed to be the final nail in the coffin, the touch screen basically no longer works, it's like the calibration is complelty off, I go to hard press and nothing, I go the app page, doesn't even recognise my finger, it starts going crazy!! And I can't press any of the app shortcuts on my watch, it'll open apps I didn't even presss!!!

I turned it off for a good 8 hours and just booted it back up and it's still doing it, what does everyone suggest? I'm quite partial the Ceramic White one... if I have to upgrade

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm not entirely sure. Being a hard reset is one of these things you did and it's still persisting with the same issues, it could be an issue with display or force touch. I would call Apple, which you will have to send in for repair if you choose. And I'm assuming your Apple care is expired or non-existent.

What kind of water exposure has the Watch been subject to?

3. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

Oh yeah loads of hard resets, even then it wouldn't even come back on for ages, would stay stuck on the Apple Logo boot screen. I don't have any Apple Care no, (I know my bad!!)

The only water exposure I would say is daily sweat from the gym

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

To me, it sounds like a display issue or something wrong with Force Touch, being how it's responding to the touch. Repair wise would be expensive. I think your Watch is done. Let us know what you decide to do. Perhaps that Ceramic edition is looking more promising.

5. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

As a last resort, try unpairing and repairing your Watch.

6. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

The Digital Crown and the Side Button work normally, they to what they're supposed to! Just the screen seems to have completely gone, but yes I figured repair would be expensive due to no cover!

I would wait for Series 3 but I'm assuming that's a long way off

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If the Crown and power button work properly, but the screen is distorted and unresponsive, then it's a display/Force Touch issue in all likeliness.

It's rumored for a Minor revamp for a 'Series 3' fall 2017. Possible LTE, added water resistance, battery improvements.

March 2018 would be the major overhaul if the 18 month timeline serve correctly, which bring a whole new design and other features.

8. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

I just used my girlfriends Apple Watch and I can say I miss having a working one! That's not jus a lag fest!! It was literally having a mind of its own earlier, went to click an app and it thought I was trying to move it and just to watch it move all on it own!

So reckon I should take a trip to my store to get the Ceramic one then? Haha

9. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Just remember, Apple also sells refurbished Series 2....

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If you like the idea of the lighter option with the Ceramic and the added scratch resistance it offers, then perhaps that's for you. Being you had a stainless model with the added weight, which I'm not sure if that's something you like or not over the lighter Ceramic casing.

11. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

Update - So just been keeping it on my wrist and not using it, I use it to track my fitness and luckily I can see the Activity on my iPhone so that's ok, but went to check a notifaction and noticed a nice old blue and black smudge under the screen!

Officially on its last legs for sure !!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2017 ---
    Damn, sad to see it didn't even make 2 years!

Attached Files:

12. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

I think that smudge is sign of water damage...i think...time for costly repair or a new Watch.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Judging from your photo and If I recall correctly, another forum member had a similar exposure on the screen and it turned out to be water. I know you mentioned it was only subjected to the gym, but perhaps something else penetrated it.

14. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

The only exposure to water I can think of is, whenever I shower say after gym, I take it off in the bathroom, could the moisture have gotten into it maybe ? Or who knows it could have been from times I've washed up, and forgotten to take it off !

15. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

Next week will be a serious thinking week!

16. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

I have showered with mine and never takes it off when washing my hands (IF i am wearing my Sport band)...i think that this belongs in the defective seal or something.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The dark areas on the screen in your images are without a doubt water damage. It might be worth trying to take it to the Apple Store and see if they will repair or replace it as many of the first AW units had glue issues that kept the device water tight.

Does not hurt to ask.

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Steam can be a huge enemy to the Watch. Perhaps that was a contributor. I know other forum members have mentioned steam damage on their Apple Watch. The First Generation Apple Watch is rated IPX7, which is only rated for splash resistance.

19. AppleFanBoii thread starter macrumors regular

AppleFanBoii

Thanks for the info, I will be taking it down the store just to see If there is anything that can be done! It is my first point of call before I do buy another !