Apple Watch Series 0 Serious Lag - fixes?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by netdog, Sep 23, 2017.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I've never had a problem with my Series 0 before upgrading to watchOS 4, and while the battery life is still okay, since the upgrade, scrolling through the Activity data is incredibly slow.

Reading other people's experiences, it seems that my problem is a little unusual. Any ideas how I might improve performance? I have plenty of free space on the watch and can't understand why it has gone so wrong when many others seem to feel that their Series 0 got a little snappier under the new OS.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just looked through my activity data and there was a definite lag

I think we S0 owners need to realize we are on the oldest, and slowest processors and with each successive watchOS release Apple is going to be putting more demands on the hardware so performance may be impacted.

I've noticed the lagging in a few areas so far and I just did a fresh install of watchOS 4 because, so its not because of upgrade vs. fresh install.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Or:

1) Attempt to initiate a re-pair with the Apple Watch and iPhone.

2.) Do NOT restore from back up. This Can carry over software glitches . You have the option of setting the Apple Watch up as a new device, which could rectify the situation.

3.) Or use process of elimination, by uninstalling third-party applications one by one, to see if that might be contributing to any unidentified lag.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I said in my post I did a clean install, so its not that.

I've also not used any apps yet so I don't believe its that as well

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I understand what you stated. Every watch install is different, so you can't speak if it's not going to affect the other users Apple Watch or not. And for the fact, the OP has not attempted a fresh install, which may or may not rectify the situation.

6. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That said, there of been quite a few first generation Apple Watch owners that reported positive results. If the OP restores from backup, that could be easily part of the problem. Which is why someone has to initiate setting up Apple Watch as a new device. And every Apple Watch will perform differently, based on what was stored on the watch, and, if there was any previous issues noted with the prior version of watchOS that was transferred over.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    When you set your Apple Watch up, you have the option of restoring from backup or setting up as a new device. That's what you will have to choose from when pairing to the iPhone.

8. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When you're completed setting up your Apple Watch as a new device, give it a few minutes, Then, power off the Apple Watch and then power it back on.

10. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

It has definitely improved so thank you.

It's definitely still laggy, but whereas I was thinking the only fix was an S3 WiFi, now I'm not so sure. I use this thing a lot, but to be fair, I use it more to log exercise than as a device that I explore apps on.

I'd like that Siri functionality and am curious about my cardio recovery time as well. If they'd made a steel WiFi, I'd have probably wandered down to Regent Street and bought one, but I may just make due now.