Apple Watch Series 1: Replacing a broken screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Clown, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Clown macrumors member

Hello Guys,

Unfortunately, my Apple Watch Series 1 screen got broken earlier today.

I thought about trying to replace it by myself, however, I am trying to understand if the replacing
    procedure is the same as of the first Apple Watch, or there is a different method of replacing on the
    series 1 model?

Thanks.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Likely the same, except for a different kind of adhesive.

3. Clown thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. So should I purchase an adhesive of the first Apple Watch or Apple Watch Series 2?

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In my opinion, I wouldn't try repairing anything on your own. Unless you have genuine experience in doing so. If you are trying to save money, this potentially could cost you more if your repair doesn't pan out.

5. Clown thread starter macrumors member

I guess you are right. Therefore, I called a few local stores in my country that offers to fix it.
    There is this one store who gave me two options:

1. Fix the watch with a genuine LCD screen. This will be an expensive solution.
    2. I would need to buy the LCD screen by my own (not a genuine one) and they will charge me only for the replacement service.

Hence, I am asking about what screen type and adhesive should I buy.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If it was me, I would allow Apple to make the repair for you. It could be nearly the same Cost and It's reposted by the actual manufacturer. Call Apple and get a quote.

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

You'd want an official repair center to perform the repair, to maintain your product warranty.

Also, buying pirate parts for your watch does not seem like a good idea, especially if you don't actually even know which parts to buy. Get it wrong, it's money straight down the drain...

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. I would allow only Apple to handle the repair. To much at risk otherwise.

9. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

Even Apple have no way to repair them in store, so can't be an easy process to be fair.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. And it's likely time consuming, which most Apple stores don't have the resources to dedicate to those type of repairs.