Apple Watch Series 2 - Black and Jet Black

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by UnluckyXIII, Sep 21, 2016.

1. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Was anyone else shocked to find that in this years Apple Watch update we didn't see the inclusion of the two new iPhone colours as options?

I've just ordered a Space Grey Series 2 and it was the first thing that came to mind, I found it really strange that Apple have decided to not make this new colour upgrade available in the Watches too.

Was anyone else expecting to see at least a matte black finished Apple Watch in this years launch?

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Space black pretty much will match the matte black.

3. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I bet they'll introduce a matte black for Series 3 next year to replace the space grey.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Isn't the Space Gray AW basically a matte black (at least compared to the light Space Gray found on iPhone that looks basically silver)?

5. iClone macrumors regular

How??? Space black is super shinny.

I like my devices to match, really disappointed to not see the new colors.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I have no idea how you think space black is really shinny. It really isn't

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Probably meant polished vs. matte like what you see on the aluminum.

8. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope so, I haven't seen a Space Grey Apple Watch in person but I was shocked at just how black the actual matte black iPhone is, the photos on the web almost make it look like a slate grey in comparison (possibly done to make the Jet Black appear darker??).

9. iClone macrumors regular

That's what I meant.

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I'm not surprised. They introduced the Rose Gold and Gold in Spring 2016. The Space Gray Apple Watch already resembles Matte Black. And the Stainless black resembles the Jet Black.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd hardly say that Space Black SS resembles Jet Black. We'll most likely get a Jet Black ceramic Apple Watch Edition in one of the mid-year refreshes.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't dislike the space black but it's certainly not as black as the new iPhone. Am I disappointed? Not really.

13. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

From the pictures, The stainless black does not resemble Jet Black, unless you have seen it in person as I had previously owned one, then I disagree with you. Especially on how the light refracts off of it. That being said, I sold my Stainless black for the regular stainless and it's a piece of art in my opinion.

Second, the Ceramic is plasticky looking. Don't care for it. Apple could make a black ceramic, but the stainless is more elegant looking, especially with the added weight.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, the JB iPhone 7 has the same "plasticky look" as the ceramic.

15. Relentless Power, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Which is your opinion. I have seen the Jet Black iPhone 7 and I think it's a sharp color. Comparing the ceramic to the Jet Black iPhone 7 is a poor comparison. The White ceramic Apple Watch looks like a off white Toy Watch in my opinion. If and when Apple creates a black Ceramic, then we can open this up for discussion. Until then, I am not dropping $1200.00 on a plasticky looking Watch, even though the Ceramic is more attune to its true purpose, being highly scratch resistant. Stainless is still my preference.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Well when my space black and 7 plus matte black finally arrive will compare the two colours and how they look next to each other. Too bad got to wait another 2-3 weeks :(

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Jet Black matches Space Black close enough, I suppose Matt Black will pair with Space Grey pretty well too.

18. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I think so too.

Will Apple do 9 layers finish on aluminium watch? Can't see customers won't complain when Apple does that and charge them extra. Beside, Jet Black won't tolerate scratch like Space Black.
    Jet Black Ceramic Edition though, that looks possible.

19. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone got a Space Grey and matte black for side-by-side comparison?