Apple Watch Series 2 In Water

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Futhark, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I own an Apple Watch original from launch day and use it in the shower like a lot of people do even though they do not recommend it.

I find it pretty much unusable when the screen is wet, it's either non responsive to any of my touches or responds to water hitting the watch face.

I find myself having to grab a towel to dry my finger and Watch face to make it work as expected.

Is this the same for the 2nd Generation users with a Watch this is designed to be worn in water or does it work properly? This would be a concern for me and make me not upgrade as yet. I do see there's talk of a new screen coming again so any feedback would be great.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Screens are the same. The S2 Water lock feature 'locks' the screen. The next :apple:Watch/screen will probably be about the same as far as using when wet.

3. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Due to the way capacitive touchscreens work there just currently isn't a feasible way to use them underwater or with water on them unfortunately. The series 2 has a water lock feature like the user above mentioned that locks the screen so it doesn't receive any touch inputs (errant or no), and to unlock the screen you need to use the digital crown.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is why it is somewhat ridiculous to wear your AW in the shower.

But for those who do, enjoy!

5. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

It's ridiculous why?

6. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

So am I right in saying if a swimmer is timing him or herself they may struggle to get the stopwatch to stop?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Having to dry the screen and finger to use while showing is "ridiculous" in my opinion.

Try to remember that opinions are allowed here, so do not get your back up!

8. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

It was a simple question

You've now elaborated on your answer so now I understand what you meant by saying it's ridiculous. And I agree. I want to be able to control my music on my Bluetooth speaker and struggle to as of the screen being unresponsive

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I found out long ago when my watch and hands were wet the Apple Watch is pretty well useless. I would also be concerned about soap scum building up on the watch. People seem to thing it will just wash off. For some reason the soap scum in my shower takes much more to remove.

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

S2 can still be unresponsive when wet. Sometimes buttons work. Sometimes they don't.

I would avoid the shower though as it is tough to avoid soaps and shampoos from getting into the watches ports.

While water resistant, Apple specifically warns against getting soaps in there.

Out of curiosity, what do you use the watch for the in the shower? Controlling music? Timer?

11. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

I was hoping I'd get an answer that Series 2 had better screens that works better with water but it's not looking like it

12. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

It was purely for changing songs on my wireless speaker. I may just buy one of those waterproof wifi speakers that have suction and sticks to the glass haha

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Makes sense. You think Siri would work?

I wonder if some developer could use the Digital Crown to control things. Water shouldn't affect that.

In the mean time, it may be less convenient, but a water proof dry bag may work. But I still wouldn't trust it 100%.

14. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Do you know something I haven't even tried Siri but I'll be sure to let you know, hopefully the background noise of the music and water also won't be too overpowering.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Best answer is there are 2 main types of Touch screens used in personal devices. Capacitive (by far most common used) and Resistive Touch (less used). The :apple:Watch of course uses *Capacitive since it is a much better/accurate/easer way of interacting with a screen. Many sports watches (like Garmin) use Resistive Touch but it is not really suitable for the :apple:Watch's complex interface. Capacitive will always have problems with water since water conducts. So there is really no way (with current technology) to make a Capacitive touch screen that will work well when wet.

*It is actually a combination screen and has Resistive Touch also/aka: 3D Touch/Force Touch*​

You are going to have 2 big problems.

• Background noise is very high in a shower, probably around 80dB or more
    • Water can and will enter/block the mic

16. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Thanks for this in depth answer. Much appreciated

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just got back from the gym and just for kids tried Hey Siri 4 times and even my 'mileage varied'.

1. What's the weather today? worked
    2. What is 357x58? No response
    3. What is 357x58? No response
    4. What is 357x58? 57x58 is (didn't hear correctly)

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Here is a link to the improved screens rumored to be introduced Fall 2017. It appears minor, but is likely cheaper and increasing durability over Glass. But the drawback may have more reflectivity.

http://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/21/apple-watch-series-3-glass-film-touchscreen/