Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
I'm torn at the moment and have been having a battle with myself the last few weeks about getting an Apple Watch Series 2 or waiting to see if 3 comes out this year

I have a reward card that has £200 on it, and I'm torn between putting it to an Apple Watch and selling my Fitbit (so the watch would potentially cost me nothing more than £150 to put towards) or putting the £200 towards the iPhone 8 when that launches

What would people recommend? Money to Watch, iPhone, or wait for a possible Watch 3

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm torn at the moment and have been having a battle with myself the last few weeks about getting an Apple Watch Series 2 or waiting to see if 3 comes out this year

I have a reward card that has £200 on it, and I'm torn between putting it to an Apple Watch and selling my Fitbit (so the watch would potentially cost me nothing more than £150 to put towards) or putting the £200 towards the iPhone 8 when that launches

What would people recommend? Money to Watch, iPhone, or wait for a possible Watch 3

I don't believe a Series 3 Apple Watch will launch this Fall. Even if one does, I don't believe it be that much more advanced over Series 2. I would not hesitate to purchase a Series 2 this point, especially since you practically have it paid for. Even if a Series 3 does launch, you have the potential to sell the Series 2 and upgrade if you so choose.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
I did have a S1 when it came out (but then I went through a crazy phase where I moved to android - we shall speak no more about this phase :p)

How has the fitness tracker improved on the apple watch, particularly how you use it with cycling? I am looking to get more into fitness but hate running, so have thought about the S2 as I'd prefer swimming and cycling

Reactions: Andywalker

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013

What reward card is that?
Retailer John Lewis recently had a clearance for Series 2 Nike Plus for £320 Including 2 Years Warranty.
I think they're sold out now but they still might show a few in stock if you keep checking their website.
Of course that depends on you liking the Nike Plus Silver + Volt design.
I think it looks dope.
They also had/might still have the Silver & Grey Nike for £340

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
What reward card is that?
Retailer John Lewis recently had a clearance for Series 2 Nike Plus for £320 Including 2 Years Warranty.
I think they're sold out now but they still might show a few in stock if you keep checking their website.
Of course that depends on you liking the Nike Plus Silver + Volt design.
I think it looks dope.
They also had/might still have the Silver & Grey Nike for £340
I moved my broadband to BT and they gave me a £200 reward card, accepted anyway that accepts master card so hoping I can use it to get a watch
I'm torn looking at it, between £349 for the Silver Nike+ Series 2 or £259 for the Series 1 in space black

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I moved my broadband to BT and they gave me a £200 reward card, accepted anyway that accepts master card so hoping I can use it to get a watch
I'm torn looking at it, between £349 for the Silver Nike+ Series 2 or £259 for the Series 1 in space black
I'd go for the Series 2.
It has GPS and better battery and full water proof,better re-sale value when you decide to upgrade.

Also it is heavily discounted (that particular model).
so you will get a better deal and more value for your money compared to the normal price of Series 1.

I ordered the Nike + Silver and Volt (yellow) version for £320 while still available.
I have to say I'm not 100% sure whether I want an Apple Watch or not yet,will decide when I receive it but it was a good deal and I knew they will be sold out soon so no time to think.

watch some videos on YouTube and see if you like the style of The Nike + Silver.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

Get the Series 2. I power-walk 5 to 7 miles outside in the summer and the super bright display is really important if you are outside in the sun using dark sunglasses.

And the battery life of the larger battery is amazing!

ilian92

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
It's still a 2-3 month wait until the next event and add to that the inevitable waiting time if a new model is released. Depends how much you want it, but the Series 2 has everything you can ask for apart from cellular, which I don't think is even necessary on a watch.

Buy if you want it now, wait it out if you feel like you can wait. :)

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I did have a S1 when it came out (but then I went through a crazy phase where I moved to android - we shall speak no more about this phase :p)

How has the fitness tracker improved on the apple watch, particularly how you use it with cycling? I am looking to get more into fitness but hate running, so have thought about the S2 as I'd prefer swimming and cycling

There is this app Cyclemeter that has been written by a VERY detail oriented developer with passion.

Excellent app amazing amount of options! Try it and get the elite well worth it.

The watch is a native Watch OS 3.2 app so works great!

Last edited:

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
It's still a 2-3 month wait until the next event and add to that the inevitable waiting time if a new model is released. Depends how much you want it, but the Series 2 has everything you can ask for apart from cellular, which I don't think is even necessary on a watch.

Buy if you want it now, wait it out if you feel like you can wait. :)

I'll tell you a secret. If you have wifi calling enabled on your iPhone your Apple Watch can make and receive calls in any hotspot that your iPhone already has a connection setup in it without the phone being present!

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
I still have my original (series 0). It works just fine. If you find one you want just get it. I don't see the upgrades being that drastic. Mine is about 19 months old and the battery seems to be almost as good as when I purchased it. If you think you may upgrade just go with the sport other wise I think the stainless is worth the extra and would be fine for 2 years or more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.