Apple Watch Series 3 - Composite Back and Charger

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rmarinheira, Sep 16, 2017.

1. rmarinheira macrumors member

Hi all!

Just ordered the AW Series 3 Sports in Space Grey.
    Just have a couple of doubts: while the Series 2 had a cermaic back, with the Series 3, Sport line returned to the composite bac, so I wonder, how sratchable this back would be, teling you antecipatley I am very careful with my gadgets? I, by no means, will be putting it down on a surfec that could scratch it easily, aside being careful enought to clean any dust on the charging base prior to putting it to charge. Being enough careful, will this AW remain presentable for a long time?
    Othe question, now regarding the charging base: is the surface that contacts the back of the watch rubberized or made with some kind of gentle material?

2. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

With as meticulous and careful you describe yourself to be, you'll have no issues. Unless your wrist is wrapped in sandpaper before you put it on....but I highly doubt that's going to happen. The charging puck has just a smooth plastic face on it.

3. rmarinheira thread starter macrumors member

You mean plain plastic, with no ruberry coating at all?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My friends composite back did not scratch but is dull and discolored. Looks bad after only a year.

5. rmarinheira thread starter macrumors member

anyone that may contribute with opinions or experience on the subject?

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The charging puck on the Apple Watch charger will not scratch the back of the Apple Watch. It's a smooth plastic that surrounds the Watch magnetically for contact.

7. rmarinheira thread starter macrumors member

That's good!
    Just worried as I saw ssome reports of the composite back becoming scratched,
    I honestly would prefer the ceramic back just like the Series2 had, but for most european countries like mine (Portugal), the LTE versions are not available (only LTE versions kept the ceramic back, both the aluminum and the SS).
    So, from normal usage, and ensurign there are no debris on the pouck surface prior to attach the watch for charging, no scracthing issues should arise, right?