Apple Watch Series 3 Costs More Than $10/Month on Most Carriers, Can't Be Reactivated Without Fees

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2017.

1. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I pay £8 a month for my SIM only contract (4gb data unlimited texts and minutes) with EE as they are the only carrier in the UK to offer cellular to the watch, as none of the others have the tech.
    I think the 6 months free is due to expire around March and then EE will start charging £5 per month to keep it.
    Anyone else in the UK keeping it, I do find it useful on occasion if I go to the gym or shop that I can get messages and calls. I did find it amusing to send a text in the swimming baths.
    Ironically, I was in Asda and my first call without my phone was from a lady that had misdialled LOL

2. ahargrave macrumors newbie

ahargrave

I was quite shocked to see how much carriers are charging in other countries! I'm in Australia, and the three supported carriers here charge $5AUD (approx $3.85USD) and there are no extra fees or charges, and can be cancelled and added at any time.

One of the only times we actually get something better value here.

3. andresandiego macrumors regular

andresandiego

It's so funny seeing people complain about something that no one is forcing you to get. If you think it is too expensive and not worth it to you just don't get it. Problem solved, you are welcome.

4. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Way to miss the point. Advertised: $10/month. Reality: Not

5. andresandiego macrumors regular

andresandiego

The point still remains, just don't get it

6. Johnny365 macrumors 6502

Johnny365

That's like saying unlimited data for $50, but charging $75 in the end.

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah I’ve found it useful for simply things like just walking to the shops to get some breakfast stuff and milk. All I leave the house with are the keys. Got everything I need on the watch

For a £5 a month you don’t need to use LTE a lot for it to be useful

Just hope apps like pocket cast can make you able to use it to listen to podcasts on the go without the phone

8. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

I guess I'm missing the point. Once the free trial ended, there would be a cost. As for that cost varying between carriers, that's no different than any mobile service plan. People switch for price, coverage, data speeds, etc. If the pricing of the watch plan is a sticking point, then customers will switch. I'd assume that the taxes on the plans could have been calculated at the beginning of these trials but I also assume that many customers didn't do that. Hence the shock at the additional costs. But these state/federal/country taxes are always there. If there are new fees just for the watch that weren't advertised beforehand, then there is a valid complaint and one could sue.

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Man don't EVEN joke about that! I recall being in Gr 5 and my school teacher mentioned one day buying water will be considered normal, here in the Western world where water is clean and free to everyone. When that occured I stopped snickering and looking confused in a state of shock. We already see a LOT of people of a particular culture walking around with medical masks/screens on due to poor air quality outside of their home territories; and it's freaking me out.

Well said.

Funny enough, nothing, nothing at all has been shown as completely NEW for anyone using an LTE Watch or iPhone for data consumption than what we had been using for decades now on the laptop/desktop over broadband wired connections. Sure services, sites, portals are new ... but the data transmitted is pretty much the same, just a little more of our personal lives.

10. cloneofsnake macrumors newbie

One thing I was really impressed with the kindle when it first came out was how Jeff negotiated to have free 3G worldwide for its device! With the LTE Apple Watch, I couldn’t help but think if Steve was alive, he would’ve strong-armed the cell service providers into giving his device worldwide coverage, while Apple charge its customers a flat fee for guaranteed quality service.

11. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I will assume by "the obvious" you mean not reading the article.

Mike

12. EVGabe macrumors newbie

EVGabe

Seems like a pretty big ripoff. Here in Canada, I have my AW3 LTE activated on the Bell network, and it costs me 5 Canadian dollars, roughly 3.5 USD, for the service. Seems pretty reasonable.

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I think, even unactivated, a cell device is required to still access 911. So you could buy an AW LTE for emergencies without paying any monthly fees. That said, I wrote "I think" because I am not sure if that FCC regulation (in the US) applies to a watch with cellular connectivity.

Mike

14. brian3uk macrumors 6502

obviously this wont be the case for everyone but my plan with t-mobile is basically free. i have kickback on my phone plan so if i keep my data under 2GB a month then I get a $10 credit. most of my data usage is music streaming at work (no wifi), so now I stream using my watch instead of my phone and poof a $10 credit every month now. sometimes its close, but so far its been pretty easy to stay under 2GB. in the end i still think $10 for the watch is too high but I made it work.

15. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Funny how we went from "The Apple Watch is useless without LTE" to "LTE on the Apple Watch is useless".

16. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

Was Bezos involved with negotiations for Kindle cellular usage? I hadn’t heard that.

I would guess Amazon is paying the carriers. But I don’t think Apple is willing to subsidize customers’ data use.

17. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

I read the article, thank you for your valuable comments.

18. JackieInCo Suspended

I think a needful of people will find the service useful. I knew going when I purchased my first LTE Apple Watch that I would not use the service. I am two weeks in to my three month trial and have used it only once. I will cancel (I'm with T-Mobile so it is truly $10/month). I knew when I bought the watch that I would not use the LTE service from the past when I had a Gear S watch. I kept the service activated for about 6 months and called to cancel. T-Mobile offered to charge me only $5 for the service. I kept that for 2-3 months and still cancelled.

Now I have three LTE Apple watches that I bought knowing for me, the service is something I just plain won't use. I do have three lines on T-Mobile so I could use the service on all three watches if I wanted to, just no need to use even one.

19. Brent Mcnicoll macrumors newbie

I got Apple watch 3 but have not activated the cell ,just figured buying the 3 would keep my options open.

Using these watches for Emergencies with the elderly should anything happen ,like a fall or heart issues ,having a means to call for help that is wearable seems like a decent option for them . I know there used to be some really clunky options with fee's back in the day :(

20. RF9, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017

RF9 macrumors regular

My wife has one on Verizon and I can call the watch's number directly.
    It has to be on LTE (or Wifi calling I believe) to work, though. If it's connected to the phone via bluetooth then it's just a bluetooth hands free at that point and it's not connected directly to the carrier (LTE is disconnected) so you cannot call it directly
    Put the phone in airplane mode. When the watch goes to LTE, I can then call it directly. I have tested this.
    It's not practical or useful, but the point is that it is it's own independent fully functional line when it's in LTE which is rare.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2017 ---
    Yes it can. Put the phone in airplane
    mode After the phone connects to LTE you can call it to it's own number (not the main iPhone number.)
    When it's connected to the phone via bluetooth, the LTE on the phone is off so it cannot be called.
    It's not practical to use it this way, just technically possible.
    I've tested this in my wife's on Verizon.

21. tdar macrumors 6502a

This point above is super important for everyone to understand. The only benefit you get in a S3 LTE watch is that you can make calls independently of your phone. Like if it's turned off or the battery is dead. These things happen,but how often do they happen? Is that worth $120+ a year to you. For the 2 or 3 times a year when they happen? Sure you might be someplace and really need to make a call, your phone is not with you, it's got no power, you left it turned off, you are somewhere that has no Wi-Fi. Sure that could happen. But how often will that happen. That's the $520+ question.
    It's this thought that has made business suck. Being in business is about providing service to your customers. If you do that correctly you won't have to worry about the money. See Apple.
    Fine. But tell me why they should be allowed to then add a fee to the tax, for collecting the tax, on the service you already paid them to provide.
    You, like others need to go and look at the bills screenshots. There are fees for service, then there are taxes, and THEN there are fees to collect the taxes. THAT is what people are complaining about.

22. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

It sounds like you want the service, but only want to pay what you feel is fair.

Yes. Look at Apple. Charges a premium for a phone that suffers from the same problems as any other phone. You buy it because it’s worth it to you so Apple is doing it right. Same goes for the watch plan.

23. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Exactly. That's how I sold a friend and her husband Apple Watches for Christmas.

She was laying on the couch with her baby napping on her belly. Her phone rang but it was halfway across the house in the kitchen. Don't wake the baby!

I told her that the Apple Watch would let her answer the phone or at least see who was calling to see if it was important.

She ordered an Apple Watch the next day.

And her husband is interested in fitness (step tracking) in addition to the phone capabilities. So he got one too.

It's simple stuff... but it can be soooo convenient. If she's running all over the house... she won't have her iPhone on her. But the Watch will be!

24. truthertech macrumors 65816

There are no fees to collect the taxes.

25. cmaier macrumors G4

People buy the watch because they’re told a certain monthly price. Then they get their first bill and it’s too late.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    Even works if the phone is turned off (if carrier supports WiFi calling)