Apple Watch Series 3 + iMessage

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by scorpio1973, Oct 16, 2017.

1. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded to a Series 3 LTE Apple Watch on Friday, and I had some questions about iMessage. Earlier today I received a message from my Mom (she has an iPhone), but it came through on my Apple Watch as a text message. My phone was on my desk at my office not far away from where I was and my watch was not connected to LTE, but via Bluetooth. Shouldn't it have been an iMessage?

Also, I know that my Apple Watch has a separate number associated with it. In settings - messages - Send & Receive, should that number be listed there, too? All I see is the number for my cell phone.

Thanks in advance!

2. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

No, because it uses the same phone number as your iPhone

3. scorpio1973 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the info!

4. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Ive experienced this same situation on both my old S0 watch and my new S3 watch. I think sometimes, the person sending the text message is in either a poor reception area or has a bad data connection at the time they try to send the iMassage. So the phone sends it as a regular SMS message. This has even happened to me when sending texts to people who have iphones. My phone will struggle to send an iMessage and revert to sending a SMS message.

5. scorpio1973 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've definitely had what you describe happen to me. Not sure if I am experiencing the same thing. I just received a message a bit ago. I was notified on my watch of the message and it appeared in green as a text. But, when I checked my phone, the lock screen said iMessage. The message came from a friend with an iPhone and I'm pretty sure she is at home where the reception is very good. Just seems odd.

6. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Wow that is certainly a different situation going on. Have you tried to reboot both the phone and the watch? If that doesnt seem to help, try disabling iMessages on the phone, waiting 1-2 minutes ,then re-enable iMessaged. If none of that helps then consider calling apple care and explain the strange behavior, hopefully they can get it sorted out.

7. scorpio1973 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried rebooting, but that was my next step. Thanks for your help!

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

This is the most annoying thing. Luckily you can disable "Send as SMS" in iMessage settings and I've not looked back since doing so!

The worst part was when iMessage would fall back to SMS/MMS to send photos! Which my carrier charges about 50 pence (~60 cents) a pop for.