Apple Watch Series 3 LTE Now Supported by Regional Carriers C Spire and US Cellular

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

When the Apple Watch Series 3 launched last fall, United States customers were able to add the cellular model onto a plan offered by AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Over the last few days, supported carriers have expanded to include regional companies C Spire and US Cellular.

[​IMG]

C Spire shared the news in a press release today, confirming it has begun selling the Apple Watch Series 3 in both GPS and LTE, available both online and through a call to customer telesales. Orders placed can be sent to the user's home or picked up at any C Spire retail store, and for a limited time the carrier is marking Series 3 models down by 50 percent when purchased with eligible iPhones on a device payment plan.

Additionally, C Spire offers Apple Watch Series 3 customers a free three-month introductory cellular trial on the carrier's 4G LTE network, allowing them to use the Apple Watch without an extra cost on their monthly plan. After the three months end, the Apple Watch Series 3 plan will run for $10/month -- the average price of Apple Watch cellular plans at most carriers.

On its device and support information page, US Cellular also offers three free months for Apple Watch Series 3 LTE coverage, and afterward the plan will cost $4.99/month if you are on one of the carrier's regular plans. If you are on a Total Plan, there is no ongoing charge for connecting an Apple Watch. Those offers make US Cellular one of the cheapest monthly plans for a Series 3 LTE model, and like C Spire it must be paired with an iPhone 6 or later running iOS 11 or later.
    In terms of coverage areas, US Cellular offers coverage in as many as 23 states and 426 markets with 5 million customers. Comparatively, C Spire is more focused on the southern area of the country, including Mississippi, Alabama, the Florida Panhandle, and the Memphis Metropolitan Area.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 LTE Now Supported by Regional Carriers C Spire and US Cellular

2. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Still not quite sure why companies are charging extra just to use the watch when its already tied to the same phone number.

I was excited for the LTE watch, but the carriers came in and ruined the party. :(

3. jsavvy macrumors member

jsavvy

I’m glad other carriers are supporting the Apple Watch. I wonder if it will help sales. Hope the cost per month fee stays low or drops out altogether.

4. Design787 macrumors newbie

See, I might actual consider a LTE Apple Watch model if it were this cheap to enable the service. Still seems unnecessary to even pay extra for it.

5. biggest father1 macrumors member

biggest father1

I completely agree with you. Although, if companies start charging 4.99 for connectivity, we’re heading in the right direction. Hopefully. :confused:

6. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

If you actually read US Cellular's website, it states that certain plans get to have the watch added FREE. Not just 3 months, FREE indefinitely.... https://www.uscellular.com/watchsupport.html

7. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

i'm sure t-mobile will make this free soon, and in canada they will raise the price to $20/month soon

8. Mr X macrumors member

Mr X

I hope this means the UK exclusive deal with EE is coming to an end soon.

9. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Waiting for TMo to change the industry on this! It costs them nothing so instead of giving me free Netflix or free crap on Tuesdays just give me the freedom to use my number on my iPhone or AW (free of charge).

10. tzm41, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

Makes no sense to charge $10 per month for it, since it shares the same number, call, text and data quota with the plan on our phones we are already paying for... Carriers just made a price cartel to reap more profit.

11. berniefl36 macrumors regular

I’m also hoping that T-Mobile will put the price down to $5 or eliminates it completely , the sooner the better would be great

12. Daku93 macrumors regular

Yesterday Vodafone Germany got added to the list, too.
    They charge the ridiculous amount of 39,99€ for activation of the eSIM, for which at least you get 3 month for free. After those 3 months it's 5€/month

13. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

This is what it should be priced at across the board. I own an LTE watch but I refuse to give AT&T $10 a month to use LTE on my watch for texts and some music streaming, and only when my phone isn’t around. Not happening, especially considering my iPads data plan costs a similar amount but it far more capable of straining their network.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I currently have my LTE watch with Verizon. If Verizon beats T-Mobile with $5.00 a month or free, I will keep the watch with Verizon. If not, I will put the watch on my other iPhone X service with T-Mobile, should they be even more "un-carrier."

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

You can’t just buy a watch and use that right? Need an iPhone...wonder if they would ever change that.

16. CMoore515 macrumors member

I'm with US Cellular so this is good news for me!

17. perryalekna10 macrumors newbie

perryalekna10

How do you like US Cellular? I'm over in the QC, but considering it due to the "free" apple watch and the fact that I can get 6GB for about $41 plus taxes with employer discount. I don't get care about lightning speeds, I just want something with the coverage that Verizon provides. They have coverage everywhere I visit regularly (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin), just curious what its like in Chicago and other areas where you are roaming. Is just data bad? Are calls OK? Do you get charged for roaming calls?

18. CMoore515 macrumors member

It's worked well for me for 20+ years. I live in Iowa and it coverage is great unless you're in the boonies like every other carrier. FWIW, I had tried VZW for about a week and at least to me, calls weren't as clear as they are with US Cellular, but YMMV. Data speeds aren't fantastic, but they're serviceable in a pinch. I never get charged for roaming, but IIRC there's still a data roaming cap of 400MB/bill cycle. So if you roam a lot do research.

19. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

When you’re lost in the woods and the phone is dead.

20. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Have the AW3 LTE and my three months coming up on next bill then it's $15 per month on t-mobile. Looked at my usage and don't find it useful and will not go on further, will disable the LTE or at least until it is reasonable pricing. The LTE version is well worth the 16GB alone to me.

21. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

$5 is the maximum price I’m willing to pay for this.

Especially when you consider that most carriers are treating it as a separate line with additional taxes. It will still be $8-10 for most people.

Will now wait on all the major carriers to drop the price to this point in time for the AW4 release.

22. berniefl36 macrumors regular

I though it’s $10 with T-Mobile with taxes included, it is for me ,,

23. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

US Cellular is fine if you spend the vast majority of the time in their native footprint. Within that footprint I do think they offer coverage right up there with Verizon, especially in rural areas. I have a work phone with them and in Iowa, Eastern Nebraska they are great in this regard. Like others said, data is not super fast, but you should have no issues with normal web browsing, facebook, texts, and even most videos. The problem with USCC is when you roam. Consider that most major cities outside their Midwest footprint will be roaming. This even includes Chicago. Calls and texts are fine when roaming, but LTE data is capped at 400MB per line per month. After that it's 2G. So if you travel a lot outside their footprint, they are not the best choice. Really look at their map before making the switch.

24. CMoore515 macrumors member

This.