Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hArrisburger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
I am running a long race in the coming weeks and I noticed that the battery life with LTE on during a Nike Run and listening to music (not streaming) is not great. Apple advertises "Up to 3 hours outdoor workout with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE," but we all know that is ideal conditions.

If I disable LTE what is the impact on GPS for Nike Run Club? I am hopeful that would get me through my race.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I am running a long race in the coming weeks and I noticed that the battery life with LTE on during a Nike Run and listening to music (not streaming) is not great. Apple advertises "Up to 3 hours outdoor workout with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE," but we all know that is ideal conditions.

If I disable LTE what is the impact on GPS for Nike Run Club? I am hopeful that would get me through my race.

How long is the race, time-wise?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Apple advertises "Up to 3 hours outdoor workout with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE," but we all know that is ideal conditions.

My phone get from 100 to 70+% on an hour run so the number fits. That said, if the connection is spotty you could lose more battery trying to connect.

Disable LTE and your watch is simply a generic S3. Someone used to review S2 running with GPS and he get almost 5 hours before battery completely dies. That should be enough for a marathon.

Last edited:

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
On your watch, Go to Settings/General/Workout scroll to the bottom and you’ll see the option to turn off cellular and heart monitor. This is for really long workouts.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Play around with you watch a bit over the next few weeks. Your goal is to get battery consumption down to under 25%/ hour. The big battery drains are cellular, heart rate, gps, screen & probably music streaming.

Definitely turn off the cellular. Also, you probably want to turn off raise to wake as that will keep your screen off until you tap it, saving battery life. You could also get an external Heart Rate monitor if you want to cut down on battery usage (or turn off HRM as suggested above), or carry your phone in a pocket to allow your watch to use the phone's GPS signal, or play your music on another device.

I think that just turning off cellular, keeping your headphones at a moderate level (around 50%) and turning off raise to wake, you have a good chance of making it through your race without any other changes, but definitely try a few things to see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.