Apple Watch Series 3 With LTE Connectivity Launches in Denmark, Sweden, India, and Taiwan

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE connectivity today became available for purchase in Denmark, Sweden, India, and Taiwan. Apple first announced plans to expand availability in those countries in April, and began taking pre-orders for LTE devices on May 4.

Cellular connectivity is available through "3" in Denmark and Sweden, while in India, Reliance Jio and Airtel will be offering support for the LTE Apple Watch. Neither Reliance Jio nor Airtel will charge Indian customers an additional monthly fee for an Apple Watch, with the device able to use the same number, data, and minutes from an existing prepaid cellular plan.

[​IMG]

In Taiwan, carriers offering support for the Apple Watch Series 3 include APT3, Chunghwa Telecom3, FarEasTone3, and Taiwan Mobile.

The Apple Watch Series 3 models with LTE connectivity first launched in September of 2017, but availability was initially limited to a handful of countries. As of now, the cellular Apple Watch can be purchased in United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Puerto Rico, Switzerland, Singapore, Hong Kong, the UK, Denmark, Sweden, India, and Taiwan.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 With LTE Connectivity Launches in Denmark, Sweden, India, and Taiwan

2. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

That’s tough. 5 month away they will read about the new series already, with rumors starting even earlier.

3. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

4. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If they are always 8 months behind the leading markets, then how does it matter?

5. agsystems macrumors 6502a

"Neither Reliance Jio nor Airtel will charge Indian customers an additional monthly fee for an Apple Watch"
    the way it should be with US Carriers

6. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

And so does many other first world countries carriers.
    We guys live in premium countries so we pay premium to use the same service?

7. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

The standard watch without LTE was released on time. I guess now that the provider support infra is there, we will see LTE series 4 releasing at the same time and not months later.

8. kstotlani macrumors 6502a

Only the LTE version is behind in these markets

9. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

The $5/mo plan that Bell offers in Canada is the sweet spot for LTE on the Watch. Any more and it’s too much for a feature that is only seldomly used.

I’ll go running or walk down to the gym and leave my phone at home and it’s nice to remain connected. I’ve had times when my phone battery died and my Watch keeps me connected.

10. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

It's only $1.5 per month in China... US wireless companies have minimal competition and charge the heck out of subscribers.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Yeah. The price in the US is BS. Costs them basically nothing, as the total data used on a Watch is measured in MB, not GB. But I guess enough people pay it, so...

12. ggt macrumors regular

Can we have it it on “3” in the U.K. too...

13. rickpmg macrumors newbie

rickpmg

14. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

In Sweden it is limited to one carrier as well

15. foxcub6 macrumors regular

Apparently the reason it’s EE only it’s because the other networks don’t have the technology for LTE to work , I googled the question , as iam a vodafone customer and it won’t work on my network so thinking about upgrading my series 0 watch to a 3 gps only we will wait and see

16. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I don't know why carriers are waiting to introduce the Watch here. They could charge 5 or 10 euro a month for the service and it would have little impact on the network in terms of traffic.
    I'm not sure I'd subscribe to the plan though. It would be great for outdoor activities like jogging or cycling, I never carried the phone while cycling because it was inconvenient.
    Ever since I moved to the city I'm more of a gym person, the iPhone is on a locker only 10 meters away and the Watch is receiving notification so LTE is basically useless to me. I still walk a lot, but have the iPhone with me all the time.
    For 2 or 3 of euro a month I could subscribe to a plan, "just in case" but I couldn't justify an higher price.

17. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Does anyone know it the watch uses the same LTE band in all countries?
    Like I can use it with the country specific carrier no matter were it is purchased?

18. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Correct. Also, you're not likely to be on your phone and your watch at the same time, so total usage with the LTE watch on your plan shouldn't be significantly higher anyway.

At any surcharge of more than a couple-o-bucks-a-month, we're being gouged, imho.

19. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

20. konqerror macrumors 6502

Right now, the Apple Watch is available on exactly one carrier in China. The whole country has only 3 carriers. All 3 are owned by the Government.

The US has 4 national, plus minors like US Cellular, right now, so your argument is flawed.

The issue is they have to implement VoLTE with multi-device/Wi-Fi calling. AFAIK, none of the carriers in Italy have done the latter.

21. Pupi macrumors 6502

Pupi

This is usually only true for first-generation devices, in this case for 1st gen LTE Apple Watch, so that the infrastructure and everything else is in place, with the following generations being out in a timely faction. In fact the Apple Watch 3 non-LTE itself was out by the launch window, and the same will be true for AW4, this time with LTE versions included.

22. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

Can’t wait for the lte to be activated in mine.

23. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Forget it...We dont even have Applepay. And Im sure once its on its gonna be 1 bank..like DnB or something.

24. Dualica 01 macrumors regular

Dualica 01

25. Aniruddh, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

Aniruddh Contributor

Aniruddh

No, you guys have very limited options that's why this happens. Here, we have tons of options to choose from, no carrier can charge premium here anymore.

3 years ago, we used to pay premium for data, the pricing were ~$5/GB. It is ~$0.25/GB after Reliance Jio came into existence.

When you have limited options, companies charge premium because they have monopoly on business.