Apple Watch Series 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bikerblue, Feb 6, 2017.

1. bikerblue macrumors newbie

bikerblue

Seen some rumors that a possible watch series 3 may be released this fall? I really want to get the Nike one but do I wait and see if they do come out this fall?? Curious on your opinions.

2. pedrowerner macrumors regular

pedrowerner

Maybe only in September together with the new iPhone, since has been like it on 2016.

3. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I'm in the same boat. I actually just returned my refurb AW2 today (it has a chip out of the bezel which pushed me to just returning and waiting).

I unfortunately have to carry two phones (1 work 1 personal) so I have an android & an iPhone. I have a Moto 360 first gen watch now i've used since release. I plan on upgrading my personal phone to an iPhone 8 and pairing it with an AW3 when they hopefully both release in the fall.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If they release an Apple Watch three this fall, it will likely be the LTE model. That's my guess.

5. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

If you were asking in August, I'd say wait. But it's February. Go get the Nike watch. If the 3 comes out in Sept. or thereabouts and you want it, sell the Nike and buy the 3. Or give the Nike to someone in your family, close friend, romantic interest, etc. If you are always waiting for the next version because you think it's going to be better, you'll never get to enjoy what's available now.

6. pedrowerner macrumors regular

pedrowerner

I don't think we will have an LTE model later this year, Apple is going to focus more on battery life and the backbones of the independence of the watch before that last step of cellular data because is such a battery drainer.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Not necessarily. With the efficiency of the S2 processor and the larger battery in the Series 2 (30% larger over Series 1), we don't know if LTE would be a "Battery drainer."

And the other question is, is LTE exclusive to the Series 2 model, being the Series 2 has the advantage of the larger battery To support LTE with the processor. And the rumor remains if Apple improves the processor again to maintain LTE.

None the less, LTE has been rumored for quite some time and requested.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/03/apple-watch-3-fall-2017-improved-battery-life/

8. GoSUV macrumors member

If other vendors start putting LTE into their smart watches, and in the end if their products don't suffer from excessive battery drain, then it is a good indication the next AW would incorporate LTE. But, the other question is, the billing aspect has to be resolved first, I mean, customers would be reluctant to add another monthly bill on top of their mobile phone bill if you get what I'm saying. This arguably is a tougher problem to solve than any technical ones regarding battery drain and size of such LTE chips being squeezed into an already tight space.

9. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

I reckon data will be baked into the price, like the Kindle with cellular.
    Seeing as you can't really use a lot of data on the watch, it makes sense to me.

10. esaelias macrumors regular

esaelias

11. julesme macrumors regular

If you really want an Apple Watch (especially for fitness), and you don't have one yet, I'd say buy one today. It's such a game changer for the things it does well, like fitness, that I think you can get a great value out of it from now until September.

Of course, we don't even know that a Series 3 will come out in September. It could just as easily become available in Spring of 2018, and then you will have waited an entire year!

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If Apple doesn't release the rumored LTE version in September, then March 2018 would be the 18 month cycle for next version, which will be a complete overhaul, which is what I believe. I'm not entirely confident we will see a September 2017 release. If it does, it's likely battery and LTE improvements, incremental at best.

13. madfelon macrumors member

I'm actually holding off to see if the series 3 will have LTE. I want to have stand alone apps along with the ability to call and text in case of emergencies when I'm out jogging or hiking. Im not worried about battery life on LTE since I would only use it in those situations.

14. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

Maybe it won't be called Series 3, it will the be new all redesigned Apple Watch 2.