Apple Watch Series 4 Front Panel Depicted in Alleged Leaked Image

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With anticipation mounting ahead of Apple's imminent product announcements later today, Slashleaks has shared an image of an alleged front panel belonging to the upcoming Apple Watch Series 4, which a leak this morning revealed will come in 40mm and 44mm sizes.

[​IMG]

Although it's hard to verify from the image alone, we do expect the new model to feature a display that's 15 percent larger than the one on the Apple Watch Series 3, a change implemented through a reduction in the size of the bezels of the device.

The larger display sizes will provide more room on the screen for apps and allow more space for watch faces. Apple is expected to introduce at least one new watch face with support for up to nine complications.

The resolution of the new 40mm Apple Watch is still unknown, but data found within a beta version of watchOS 5 suggests the 44mm version will feature a resolution of 384x480, up from 312x390 in the current 42mm Apple Watch models.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes all Series 4 models will feature rear case ceramic, and potentially come with electrocardiography (ECG/EKG) functionality.

A leaked marketing image suggests the Apple Watch Series 4 will look similar to the Series 3, with no major design changes. As far as we know, that should ensure Apple Watch Series 4 models will continue to be compatible with existing Apple Watch bands.

Apple's "Gather Round" event will kick off today at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time, with Apple planning to live stream the product unveiling on its event website and through the Events app on the Apple TV.

For those unable to watch, MacRumors will have live coverage both here on MacRumors.com and on our MacRumorsLive Twitter account, along with continuing coverage throughout the rest of September.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 4 Front Panel Depicted in Alleged Leaked Image

2. ke-iron macrumors 65816

I need a new watch since my first gen stainless steel finally died from constantly going into the pool with it.

3. joelhinch macrumors member

joelhinch

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

To say the least, surprised to see these last-minute watch leaks with the new display sizes and now the front panel image leaked. But definitely appears legitimate.

5. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Hmm, really hard to tell by the picture. The beezles still looks huge and don't look that much smaller than on my 42mm series 2. But I guess it's hard to tell when you only have the glass to go by.

I wouldn't call this "edge-to-edge" by any stretch. I know "edge-to-edge" phones are not truly edge-to-edge either. But as the displays are normally 5,0+ inches large the narrow beezle doesn't take up a huge percentage of the display so it almost feels like its edge-to-edge. Judging by this the beezles are still taking up a rather large % of the screen and considering it's a watch and watches before smartwatches didn't really have much of beezle to begin with this doesn't resemble "edge-to-edge" for me in the clock world.

I appreciate smaller beezles, don't get me wrong!

6. Marzel macrumors member

That's because usually Apple makes sure that their keynotes are close to product mass production and initial shipping out of China. They know it's impossible to keep these products from leaking so at least they make sure that they don't do the keynote days after everything has been leaked. What changed this year is that as well as the usual CAD designs and leaked parts we got leaked promotional material which is a big and rare misstep.

7. slcpunk Suspended

slcpunk

I’d like to be able to order both a new watch and iPhone 6.5 and have them delivered on launch day. Guess we will find out in 5 hrs

8. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Loving the thinner bezels. This will be a great watch, first gen devices issues notwithstanding.

9. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

10. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

With the number of people investigating what Apple is planning and since those people are willing to pay insiders at Apple or any of the companies involved with making Apple products enough money to find someone who will talk I think that Apple should quit trying to hide what they are releasing and instead try to release conflicting information so that people don’t know which leak or analyst is correct.

Things like available colors and product names could be leaked to either people, companies or rumor sites that wouldn’t affect the actual product but could cause doubts about who is right and about what and allow for a few surprises when Apple has events like today. Even if some of the rumors are true people wouldn’t know for sure especially if usually reliably analyst A says one thing, while analysts B, C and D say something else.

Features that partner companies are involved in are probably beyond keeping secret anymore, but colors, names and even availability can be fudged by a small amount, especially availablity if rumor has it releasing in 2 weeks and the official announcement reveals it will be available in one. Better make the earlier date if you do that though.

11. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

If these leaks are true... it looks like the screen will finally extend into the corners of the rounded-edged bezels (instead of being confined to a rectangle)

These renders might give us a clue:

[​IMG]

12. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    The bezels still look pretty large (which isn’t a big deal to me) IMO. Looking forward to pre-ordering the 44.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Hours away for the real McCoy but still peddling speculation.
    But I like it.

14. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Yup. This is pretty much how it will lay out based on the original case design and rumored pixel dimensions, with up to an extra mm on the top and bottom to balance out the bezel symmetry -- which also gives them two more mm inside for battery and stuff.

[​IMG]

15. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

Five OS versions in and still no custom watch faces. No wonder nobody is developing for this. Yes, Yes, I know there are lots of apps on the store that have "app support" but are they better? Or they are just like websites for "Fish n Chip" shops in the mid-90s, a selling point with no real need.

Still waiting for the killer app on the apple watch.