Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If a person can wear the S3 the only difference it the tiny titanium contact on the S4.

I guess people can be allergic to titanium but it is successfully used in inside the human body on a regular basis in orthopedic surgery.

The radiation thing does not make sense.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
London
I am pretty sure that glass and ceramic can not produce any reaction.
I am a general watch "aficionado" and do see occasional issues on forums
Metal allergies are not uncommon and in rare cases people can be allergic to certain metals, or ones with certain alloy mixtures, particularly including Nickel.

I would assume that the aluminium alloy would potentially have more allergic reactions then the 316L steel.
I recommend getting a alcohol lenses cleaner wipe (the Zeiss sachets are good) and giving the back and front of the watch a good clean.

Also try seeing if there is any difference if the watch is on airplane mode. It could be a sensitivity to electromagnetic and microwave radiation.

If nothing helps and you have tried Alu and 316L watches then we'll have to petition Apple for solid gold or ceramic watch :D

Comment

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Glad I'm not the only one... I wore the series three this past year with no issues. I got the new S4 LTE, but I've been noticing it's leaving a red patch of skin under the sensor. It doesn't really hurt, or itch, but it's pretty cherry red and only under the sensor. The S3 left no such marks, but also wasn't LTE so I don't know if that factors in.

same issue, i get irritation and redness over long periods of wear (over 10+ hours)

Comment

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I have problems with the S3. SO I crocheted a very thin cover to go between my skin and the watch. I was wondering if people who had problems before were experiencing them now...

I did try one on for a bit in the store. I think I have problems with the ceramic/glass. On the S3 I was wondering if it is the difference between the glass and the metal - just made it irritating.... I very much have a problem with metals on my skin - does not matter the jewelry....

I have the watch more for activity tracking, water reminder etc.

Comment

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
Same here with the redness on the wrist where the sensors rest. It doesn't happen all the time and sometimes it is more pronounce then other times.

Comment

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I get a rash on my wrist (Series 2) when I get soap trapped between the watch and my skin. If I forget or don't notice and I don't rinse my wrist and the watch off, I get a little rash.

I have to be more careful when washing my hands or the dishes.

It took me a few months to figure it out and pinpoint soap as the problem.

EDIT - fixed a few typos

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple
Comment

Sg6216

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2019
I am facing the same issue as well. Initially when I wore it, I did not feel anything amiss. However, after updating the OS to the latest 5.1.2, I start to have tingling sensation on the skin below the crown. Since then, every time I wore it for more than an hour, rashes would occur on my skin under the crown.
Subsequently I tried playing around a little bit more. One thing I have tried is wearing the watch with the phone turn off. Pretty much nothing happen.
However, as mentioned earlier, when I wore it while turning on, rashes would develop in about an hour or so.
Anyone faces similar issue and have tried experimenting with tuning off the watch while wearing it?

Attachments

• 3B72C748-897E-4421-8859-6AA4484DC9AC.jpeg
    3B72C748-897E-4421-8859-6AA4484DC9AC.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 337
  • AEB7CD45-0321-4298-8DB7-6AA1AC7F5177.jpeg
    AEB7CD45-0321-4298-8DB7-6AA1AC7F5177.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 349
Comment

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am facing the same issue as well. Initially when I wore it, I did not feel anything amiss. However, after updating the OS to the latest 5.1.2, I start to have tingling sensation on the skin below the crown. Since then, every time I wore it for more than an hour, rashes would occur on my skin under the crown.
Subsequently I tried playing around a little bit more. One thing I have tried is wearing the watch with the phone turn off. Pretty much nothing happen.
However, as mentioned earlier, when I wore it while turning on, rashes would develop in about an hour or so.
Anyone faces similar issue and have tried experimenting with tuning off the watch while wearing it?

Turning it off while wearing it will not be a popular choice.

Have you worn a watch prior to getting the Apple Watch?

Some have super sensitive skin, if you do, you should already know that from previous rashes.

There have been a few threads on this, might want to search and see if any were resolved.

Keep us posted!

Comment

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I had the rash with my series 1 until I switched from the sports band to a nylon band. Then all my problems went away. It was super itchy - not where the band lay on the skin but where the sensor was located.

Comment

deadcantdance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Fortunately I have no problems after returning the Nike+, went for SSSB and the rash went away.

Comment

Krahnin

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2019
Glad I'm not the only one... I wore the series three this past year with no issues. I got the new S4 LTE, but I've been noticing it's leaving a red patch of skin under the sensor. It doesn't really hurt, or itch, but it's pretty cherry red and only under the sensor. The S3 left no such marks, but also wasn't LTE so I don't know if that factors in.

I have exactly this. Even after the redness has faded, it seems like the skin there is still not quite the same texture as the surrounding area. Anyone found a resolution for this? What's odd is I had no issues for several months after I purchased the series 4. Once it started happening, though, I switched to the other wrist and got the same thing almost immediately. I wash and dry the watch at least once a day, sometimes more if needed.

Comment

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I have developed a slight red rash. Sometimes there is almost a burning sensation.
At first I thought it was soap or moisture.
I’ve had Watches since the series 0 and the series 4 SBSS is the only one that has had this issue

Comment

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
I have exactly this. Even after the redness has faded, it seems like the skin there is still not quite the same texture as the surrounding area. Anyone found a resolution for this? What's odd is I had no issues for several months after I purchased the series 4. Once it started happening, though, I switched to the other wrist and got the same thing almost immediately. I wash and dry the watch at least once a day, sometimes more if needed.
Same issue here. It does come and go. I just switch the band out and give the watch a good cleaning. The texture skin is weird but goes away after a day or two.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Series 4's sensor portion has a titanium contact points for EKG. I suspect that could cause mild skin irritation.

Titanium is non reactant to people - this is why puns for bones are made of it.

I think this is just due to lack of reverse osmosis, I’m a sense the skins inability to perspire under heavy need due to contact with the watch on the skin. This also means the skin on contact area may not breathe as well. Or maybe heavy exfoliating once in a. While may help - try showering without the watch on for a few days and place watch on only when ready to leave your hut. That may give more time for your skin to breathe and perspire more and less irritation. Just a thought.
[doublepost=1554943677][/doublepost]
If a person can wear the S3 the only difference it the tiny titanium contact on the S4.

I guess people can be allergic to titanium but it is successfully used in inside the human body on a regular basis in orthopedic surgery.

The radiation thing does not make sense.

You beat me to this.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Comment

davidpablo

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2019
Titanium is non reactant to people - this is why puns for bones are made of it.

I think this is just due to lack of reverse osmosis, I’m a sense the skins inability to perspire under heavy need due to contact with the watch on the skin. This also means the skin on contact area may not breathe as well. Or maybe heavy exfoliating once in a. While may help - try showering without the watch on for a few days and place watch on only when ready to leave your hut. That may give more time for your skin to breathe and perspire more and less irritation. Just a thought.
[doublepost=1554943677][/doublepost]

You beat me to this.
[doublepost=1558035949][/doublepost]Hello i am from SPAIN, New Apple Watch 4 irritate and burn my skin
Series o from Years works fine

I try two S4 and same problem i returned and buy S3

No apple coments in any Country about that?

I have all apple products
I love but this problem stops my love

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As simple or silly as my reply may sound:

Why is the irrational only one one side of using S4 when the he contact leads on the bottom are on both left/right side of the watch time face?

The irritation looks to be lack of skin breathing and on one side due to pressure to me.

Comment

lclev

Contributor
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have had the problem of skin irritation with the S4 too. I have owned an S0, S2, and S3. None of the previous models ever bothered my skin. I could wear them snuggly on my arm and no issues.

I do not shower with my watch and I do not sleep with it on. I have two titanium hips so I do believe I am not allergic to it. I have found that if I wear the watch really loose on my wrist, and make sure to put lotion on where is contacts my arm, that helps - a lot.

Lisa

Comment

Dotan05091

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2019
Hey,

I've worn a SG Series 2 for two years now, without any problem. Last week, my Series 4 Nike+ was delivered and now I've a little rash (even not visible, but it feels itchy) where the sensor touches my skin.

Anyone else with this problem? I don't won't to return the new watch, but seems possible that I have to keep my Series 2 a little longer.

Yep, I’m having the same issue. Apple just told me to go to a physician and basically to go and f*** myself.

Attachments

• 1B665E40-28A4-4520-8DE7-C24DD69A8CF8.jpeg
    1B665E40-28A4-4520-8DE7-C24DD69A8CF8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 276
Comment

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yep, I’m having the same issue. Apple just told me to go to a physician and basically to go and f*** myself.
Well did you? See a physician, not F yourself.

All jokes aside, the rash is likely caused by sweat or moisture ... possibly lotions or sunscreen.

In my experience, soap is what makes me rashy. If I get a little bit of soapy water or suds in between the watch and my wrist, I have issues. When I wash dishes, I make sure I rinse my wrist and watch afterwards. If I forget, 100% rash is guaranteed.

Sweat isn't usually a problem for me, but after a workout/run, I like to wipe down my watch and my wrist if I don't catch an immediate shower.

Also, mowing the lawn can be an issue. I gotta wash off immediately afterwards as the grass and dust, mixed with sweat, gets me itchy.

Hope you figure out your deal.

Comment

Dobbel

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2018
Netherlands
There are millions of AW sold.....and only a few of these mild complaints...

BUT what do those who have “rashes” want Apple to do?

Comment

lclev

Contributor
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have said before in previous posts - my S4 gives me a round red area if I wear it normally on my wrist. I have to wear it really loose so it slides around and make sure to apply moisturizer on the area the watch touches. I never had this issue with my S0, S2, or S3 which I wore tight enough so they did not slip around.

And as for allergic to the titanium back? Well I have two titanium hips that have been doing great for the last 15 years.

I am not sure what is causing the problem ( I suspect the sensor) but it is not moisture - IMO

Lisa

Comment

appleapple11997

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2019
I’m also extremely annoyed with the Series 4. It gives me a red rash on my wrist under the back casing. This never happened with previous models. It happens regardless if I sweat or not. I’ve tried placing a Apple Watch case on the watch, new bands, disinfecting with an alcohol wipe, but nothing does the trick. Apple doesn’t have any answers for me either despite them telling me to try testing for metal allergies. Any tricks or tips? Would clear nail polish or a thin clear film work?

Comment

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Classic. It’s particles sweat and other residue from daily live. You shave your wrists? It’s most probably that. Wearing it too snug will make the problems even worse.

Comment

appleapple11997

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2019
Classic. It’s particles sweat and other residue from daily live. You shave your wrists? It’s most probably that. Wearing it too snug will make the problems even worse.
I don’t shave my wrists but even if I’m not being active and have the watch on for an hour or more, the rash appears.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.