• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

JTitleist12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2019
Good morning all.

I am new here to the site and recently purchased a brand new Apple Watch Series 4 44mm Space Black Stainless Steel and have noticed that the screen display appears to be crooked and almost tilted to the right toward the crown. It seems to be most prevalent while looking at the locked screen code when you first pick up the watch, but I am noticing it with all the faces.

Also, the colors seem to be off. Reds such as the notification dot and activity ring appear to be hot pink. The lock at the top of the display before entering your pass code which has traditionally been a dark blue is now a pale blue.

Is all this normal or did I get one with issues?

Thanks in advance.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Good morning all.

I am new here to the site and recently purchased a brand new Apple Watch Series 4 44mm Space Black Stainless Steel and have noticed that the screen display appears to be crooked and almost tilted to the right toward the crown. It seems to be most prevalent while looking at the locked screen code when you first pick up the watch, but I am noticing it with all the faces.

Also, the colors seem to be off. Reds such as the notification dot and activity ring appear to be hot pink. The lock at the top of the display before entering your pass code which has traditionally been a dark blue is now a pale blue.

Is all this normal or did I get one with issues?

Thanks in advance.

As an alternative, you could go in and compare your watch to an ‘in-store display model’. Or if you live next to an Apple store, have them take a quick look at it.

Comment

JTitleist12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2019
I tried to take some pictures with different faces and to me each one looks turned a little to the right towards the crown. Is it just me or is that the case? The activity ring also shows as hot pink instead of red.

Attachments

• 7FCCA200-3995-4201-8C15-37B87CA599D3.jpeg
    7FCCA200-3995-4201-8C15-37B87CA599D3.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 5F4FC69A-0857-4DF1-BC8F-5067E3C5B151.jpeg
    5F4FC69A-0857-4DF1-BC8F-5067E3C5B151.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 61DC4A82-1F12-42C5-9B1D-8C004E20A72C.jpeg
    61DC4A82-1F12-42C5-9B1D-8C004E20A72C.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 147
Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t understand why the color of the stainless steel case matters.

Comment

JTitleist12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2019
I don’t understand why the color of the stainless steel case matters.

I don’t think it does...I just feel like this display is crooked. I’m hoping someone can tell me I’m wrong and that it’s just me!

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t think it does...I just feel like this display is crooked. I’m hoping someone can tell me I’m wrong and that it’s just me!

It’s Like you want someone to tell you something that is wrong with your watch. Like I said, perhaps you should take your watch in person to an Apple-store for inspection. Otherwise, return the watch and be done with it. Your pictures are not clear enough to specifically see that kind of detail if the display is faulty or not.

Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
OK. It's just you. You paid extra money for the beautiful space black stainless steel and then you put that silly yellow plastic case on it! The watch display is perfectly straight. What's happened is that the case is not square on the watch, which makes it look off. Take off the case and you'll see what I mean. Or...move the watch around until it's square in the case.

Comment

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I tried to take some pictures with different faces and to me each one looks turned a little to the right towards the crown. Is it just me or is that the case? The activity ring also shows as hot pink instead of red.
It’s the case that is crooked. If you plan to keep that case on you should have saved some money and got the aluminum watch. You don’t need that case on a SBSS Unless you work in an environment that’s hostel to the watch.

Comment

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
The colors on the display are not right. Things that should be red look pink to me in your photos. That alone is justification for getting it checked out or returning it/swapping it.

Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
Take away the yellow case and the color will look better. There is nothing hardware-wise that would generate wrong colors.

Comment

JTitleist12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2019
I apologize about the case :oops:...I had this one from a previous watch and wanted to protect it in case I ended up swapping it so it stayed in perfect condition.

There is no screen saver on the watch so my concerns about the colors might be confirmed...It's tough to photograph the face to get accurate colors but the red activity ring does appear hot pink and the notification dot at the top of the face is not a true dark red in person.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Was mainly trying to figure out if it was just me or if this was a legitimate issue. I have a Genius Bar appointment for later this week but they will probably think I'm crazy. Don't want to get into Apple Watch roulette either and the next one could be worse.

Comment

Itada

macrumors member
I don't think there's anything wrong with your watch.

The Activity Move ring isn't pure red, it's a gradient of hot pink/magenta to red. Compare it to the "MON" on the calendar complication, which is actually red, or check out any of the many images on Apple's site: https://www.apple.com/watch/close-your-rings/

Create a Color face and set it to red and you'll see the reds are fine.

The Space Black Stainless model is the most scratch-proof Apple Watch, so you can lose the terrible case, too.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.