Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I just bought my AWS 5 last week and immediately I synced some of my Apple Music playlist to the watch.

I've had quite a bit of stretch with my playlist. Probably thousands of songs at about 10Gb (just a rough estimation). Apparently my 32GB AWS 5 couldn't handle my playlist size and the Watch app on my iPhone shows that my "Apple Watch storage is almost full" notification inside the Music tab

I am confused, I have 32GB of storage while my music is just a one third of that. Is there a limit or something? Just for music? It's like the old android days when it deliberately limit the storage for apps.

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
I just bought my AWS 5 last week and immediately I synced some of my Apple Music playlist to the watch.

I've had quite a bit of stretch with my playlist. Probably thousands of songs at about 10Gb (just a rough estimation). Apparently my 32GB AWS 5 couldn't handle my playlist size and the Watch app on my iPhone shows that my "Apple Watch storage is almost full" notification inside the Music tab

I am confused, I have 32GB of storage while my music is just a one third of that. Is there a limit or something? Just for music? It's like the old android days when it deliberately limit the storage for apps.
EDIT: The 2 GB was when the watches came with only 8 GB of storage (old video I watched).

I read (or seen in a video or something) that you are limited to 2 GB for music. I could be wrong but I'm 99% sure I'm correct.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I read (or seen in a video or something) that you are limited to 2gb for music. I could be wrong but I'm 99% sure I'm correct.

Good lord.. so basically it allocates 25% of storage for music? So Series 5 would get 8GB dedicated for music. That's a bummer when you have 32 GB of storage, you'd expect to use it as you want.

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Good lord.. so basically it allocates 25% of storage for music? So Series 5 would get 8GB dedicated for music. That's a bummer when you have 32 GB of storage, you'd expect to use it as you want.
After I posted that I found out the 2 GB was for the 8 GB AW and could not find an actual limit on the Series 5 so I'm not really sure.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Yeah, the Series 5 music limit is pretty close to 8GB. I have a 10GB playlist that won’t fully load.

Although, I couldnt get more than 4GB on my Series 4 so maybe I’m doing something wrong.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Have 2GB on my series 4. The watch doesn’t even play all of the songs in the playlist though. It plays maybe half on shuffle.

If you scroll with shuffle on, a lot of the songs aren’t even there.

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
Yeah, the Series 5 music limit is pretty close to 8GB. I have a 10GB playlist that won’t fully load.

Although, I couldnt get more than 4GB on my Series 4 so maybe I’m doing something wrong.

7gb used up by music on mine. I noticed it refuses to add music - just going in endless circling - at this point.
Apple increased the storage to 32gb - anyone know why they did it? Surely cant be for running apps et all as they dont take much space

MacDuggy

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2019
Wasted my money on a series 4 and luckily got a good price on
eBay. Admittedly got “gimmicked” but lesson learned.o_Oo_O

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I'm pretty new to this Watch things.. Series 5 is my first Apple Watch and I had no idea that Apple would limit our storage for keeping music. So much for "32GB storage upgrade" buzz.

I thought I was able to manage my own storage just like I could with any iPhones or iPads.

This is NOT cool at all... prior to Series 4, I understand that Apple needs to put some restriction into the measley 8GB storage, but with 32GB? At some point it's a mid-tier for iPhone and iPod storage which primarily used for offline listening.

Last edited:

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
Its frustrating all right, and its like having a 8gb mp3 player on your wrist.
There is no equalizer to play with on the watch but the APPs sound good with the AW. The sound is balanced at least in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.