Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began selling certified refurbished Apple Watch Series 5 models for the first time in the United States. Refurbished models are discounted by around 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new models.

apple-watch-series-5-refurbished.png

A wide selection of GPS and GPS + Cellular models are available in aluminum or stainless steel, with various bands to choose from. A refurbished 44mm Apple Watch Series 5 with GPS + Cellular and a Stainless Steel Case with White Sport Band is available for $639, for example, a savings of $110 compared to Apple's regular price of $749.

Apple says all refurbished Apple Watch models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged with a new box and all manuals and accessories, including a magnetic charging puck and a power adapter. In our view, Apple's refurbished products are generally indistinguishable from brand new ones.

Any refurbished Apple Watch comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the device is delivered. The warranty can be extended to up to two years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for Apple Watch.

Keep in mind that third-party resellers frequently offer better deals than Apple's refurbished prices, so be sure to monitor our deals roundup.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 5 Now Available Refurbished

ct2k7

macrumors 604
Aug 29, 2008
London
Still not available in the UK yet :)

However, a $60 Discount seems like it could be a nice present.

Comment

anshuvorty

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I will just wait for the series 6 because I heard anecdotal reports that with the always-on display feature, the series 5 still suffers from bad battery life. As such, I am hoping that the series 6 fixes this issue.

Reactions: arefbe and bhodinut
Comment

bernoulli

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
England
I will just wait for the series 6 because I heard anecdotal reports that with the always-on display feature, the series 5 still suffers from bad battery life. As such, I am hoping that the series 6 fixes this issue.

I guess the battery life will only change dramatically if there is change in battery capacity (possible), chemistry (unlikely) or change in screen technology (maybe).

More efficient chipset will save battery but going from already efficient chipset, it’s unlikely to see a massive difference.

Comment

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2003
New Orleans, LA
Might sell off my Series 4 and pick up a Refurb Series 5 with the hopes that the battery has been improved on the new models. Kind of a bummer when my watch dies before I can fill my stand ring.

Comment

kanki1985

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
Awesome, nice deals, however, buy them and plan to sell when AW6 comes up, you will get $100 back on these devices.. Wait for AW6 before moving on AW in general.

Reactions: bhodinut
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I guess the battery life will only change dramatically if there is change in battery capacity (possible), chemistry (unlikely) or change in screen technology (maybe).

More efficient chipset will save battery but going from already efficient chipset, it’s unlikely to see a massive difference.

Apple already increased the battery thickness for the Series 5. You can only change lithium-ion battery technology so much. What needs to become the non-obvious points for battery longevity/prolonged use, would be the implementation of migrating to micro LED, which Transitions into less power draw, but also introduces a wider-color gamut/increased brightness over OLED. But that transition probably isn’t likely until at least the Series 7.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Mine (40 mm with cellular) always lasts though the day. Sometimes it’s close if I used it heavily, but it’s never died before I go to bed, and it’s never off my wrist during the day. I guess if you want sleep tracking then maybe the battery life isn’t enough, but I couldn’t care less about that.

Reactions: KeithBN
Comment

stevegut78

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Apple already increased the battery thickness for the Series 5. You can only change lithium-ion battery technology so much. What needs to become the non-obvious points for battery longevity/prolonged use, would be the implementation of migrating to micro LED, which Transitions into less power draw, but also introduces a wider-color gamut/increased brightness over OLED. But that transition probably isn’t likely until at least the Series 7.

What makes you come to this conclusion that it isn't likely until at least the Series 7?

Comment

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2003
New Orleans, LA
Mine (40 mm with cellular) always lasts though the day. Sometimes it’s close if I used it heavily, but it’s never died before I go to bed, and it’s never off my wrist during the day. I guess if you want sleep tracking then maybe the battery life isn’t enough, but I couldn’t care less about that.

I wish I knew the secret sauce you were pulling off to make this happen. I always get the "10% battery remaining" at almost the 12 hour mark on the dot.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I wish I knew the secret sauce you were pulling off to make this happen. I always get the "10% battery remaining" at almost the 12 hour mark on the dot.
I don't know… I have noise monitoring off, vibrations on, always-on on, brightness at half. My default watch face is fairly basic, white on a black background. I don't do anything specific to try to conserve battery life. I'd say I tend to have between 10 and 20% left after 15-16 hours, depending on what exactly I did that day.

Comment

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Nice, another 10% off with the military discount as well. I’ve always liked the SBSS version, but decided to keep my SS S4.

Comment

coachgq

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Might sell off my Series 4 and pick up a Refurb Series 5 with the hopes that the battery has been improved on the new models. Kind of a bummer when my watch dies before I can fill my stand ring.
Are you using LTE a lot? I have a 4, and I usually do an hour workout sometimes using gps/lte, get notifications all day and can sleep with it on at night. Charge it up while I’m doing my morning routine and the battery is full before I leave for work.

Comment

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
Can I stream Spotify over cellular without my iPhone when I exercise (with the cellular version of course)?

Comment

incoherent_1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2016

I was worried about this too, but have no issues at all. I wear my Series 5 to bed and all day long and have gotten more than 24 hours battery life routinely. I do at least one intense workout a day and use it to control my home, so I’m not a light user, either.
[automerge]1587520990[/automerge]
Can I stream Spotify over cellular without my iPhone when I exercise (with the cellular version of course)?

Spotify just released a new version of their Watch App (within the last 1-2 weeks). I can’t confirm this for sure (I have a cellular model but it’s not activated right now), but I believe you can. The reviews of their newest app should give specifics.

Comment

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
i might bite when watch 6 refurb goes on sale
yet ive been saying i'll bite on a-watch for last 4 years

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.