Apple Watch series 5 optimal setting for battery life

randytusk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
As an owner of a new 42mm series 5 watch I thought I would share this to help others..

Currently on 6.01 firmware -

Numerals Duo face & California with preferred complications

Background App refresh OFF (apart from a few select Apps as complications)
Uninstalled Noise, Breath and monthly cycle app.
Turned off reporting and diagnostics

Set the screen to minimum brightness and also turned off raise to wake.
I've left the Always On setting.

With cellular and wifi left on it averages 2-3% usage at idle per hour when in proximity to my iphone. I'll report back after I've a tried a few days without having my phone with me.

Most effective setting so far is to turn off diagnostics and reporting - it soaks up a lot of power in the background.

Reactions: tunastink

Cruz3LT

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Seattle, Washington
As an owner of a new 42mm series 5 watch I thought I would share this to help others..

Currently on 6.01 firmware -

Numerals Duo face & California with preferred complications

Background App refresh OFF (apart from a few select Apps as complications)
Uninstalled Noise, Breath and monthly cycle app.
Turned off reporting and diagnostics

Set the screen to minimum brightness and also turned off raise to wake.
I've left the Always On setting.

With cellular and wifi left on it averages 2-3% usage at idle per hour when in proximity to my iphone. I'll report back after I've a tried a few days without having my phone with me.

Most effective setting so far is to turn off diagnostics and reporting - it soaks up a lot of power in the background.
All you really need to do is just turn off raise to wake/ crown up and the Noise app. You will get 1+ days of battery life without sacrificing anything. As one other member said, no need for "potato mode".

Reactions: Kimjongjohan

randytusk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
All you really need to do is just turn off raise to wake/ crown up and the Noise app. You will get 1+ days of battery life without sacrificing anything. As one other member said, no need for "potato mode".
I thought it would be helpful - I’ll refrain from posting further on the subject

Reactions: Kimjongjohan

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Actually, I appreciate the effort and input, so thanks OP. My Watch which I got yesterday is dying quickly, so scouring these boards to see if anything is useful.