Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saltura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
I wore my watch for about an hour and while at work I felt a burning sensation on my left wrist. When I removed my watch the casing was warm to the touch and saw that the watch sensor burned my wrist. I got a blister and round red mark from the incident. Apple support said that their engineers found no defect with the watch (without inspecting it in person) and suggested I wash my watch band because I might have a skin irritation and to buy a plastic casing for the watch itself. WTF!

Attachments

• 2925108F-DCD0-475E-8E0B-320F2D4834D1.jpeg
    2925108F-DCD0-475E-8E0B-320F2D4834D1.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 866
  • 40326D8B-1DB0-4FCF-B767-09B20CD6718E.jpeg
    40326D8B-1DB0-4FCF-B767-09B20CD6718E.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 304
  • F0B96326-25F7-48C4-A786-4C37CAAB9429.jpeg
    F0B96326-25F7-48C4-A786-4C37CAAB9429.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 284

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
There are other threads with people allergic to the watch against their skin. I believe nickel allergies is listed as a common cause.

JWGold

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
United States
Is this a brand new watch and first time wearing it? If so, it could be an allergy. If you’ve had this watch for awhile and have worn it with no issue for some time and this happened, maybe a short in the electronics or something caused it to overheat internally?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I can’t remember which watch I was wearing when I felt as if I had a burning sensation. I want to say it was the series 5 black stainless.
the feeling wasn’t as if it was just warm but a mild burning sensation leaving a red circle.
having stopped wearing the watch for sometime.
the series 6 ceramic didn’t bother me as much.
I’m not sure what has changed but now, neither watch poses any skin irritation

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I wore my watch for about an hour and while at work I felt a burning sensation on my left wrist. When I removed my watch the casing was warm to the touch and saw that the watch sensor burned my wrist. I got a blister and round red mark from the incident. Apple support said that their engineers found no defect with the watch (without inspecting it in person) and suggested I wash my watch band because I might have a skin irritation and to buy a plastic casing for the watch itself. WTF!
My Apple Watches have only felt warm, very warm sometimes, when I’ve first taken them off the charger. Warm won’t leave marks like that unless you have something on your skin that is causing a reaction with the increased temp. However that warmth that I mentioned quickly goes away once it’s off the charger. What your pictures look like is heat not warmth which should have been obvious, looking at the pics, very obvious. Any of these devices can overheat due to some runaway or stuck process - computers, phones, even these watches, which would also quickly deplete the battery. Normally a restart or a forced shutdown/restart kills that process and brings everything back to normal. Fortunately I’ve never had that happen on any of my Apple Watches, but I have had it happen on an iphone and even once or twice on my mac over the years, but I wasn’t wearing them at the time🤷‍♂️

BruceT354

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2023
I have the same issue. I have been wearing my watch for 2 years and 2-3 days ago, it started to burn my skin under the sensors. It is not too tight. What is causing this? After googling this, I now see I am not alone and there is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. I have discussed with Apple Support and I am waiting for them to get back to me. They are aware of the problem and I hope they come back with a solution or updated replacement.

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
I have the same issue. I have been wearing my watch for 2 years and 2-3 days ago, it started to burn my skin under the sensors. It is not too tight. What is causing this? After googling this, I now see I am not alone and there is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. I have discussed with Apple Support and I am waiting for them to get back to me. They are aware of the problem and I hope they come back with a solution or updated replacement.
Apple is not a medical institution. The first thing you should do is get an examination by a doctor. You then submit the doctor's assessment to Apple support and await Apple's reaction.

jamface

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
Their solution will be to say that there’s nothing wrong.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
I have the same issue. I have been wearing my watch for 2 years and 2-3 days ago, it started to burn my skin under the sensors. It is not too tight. What is causing this?

If it’s been more than a few days since you washed your watch, it’s all but certain that it’s a bacterial infection. Clean the watch (including the band!) and your wrist well with soap and water. Apply a very thin schmear of over-the-counter antibacterial ointment (such as Neosporin) around your wrist. If reasonable, don’t wear your watch for a day or three to let the wound heal (or wear it on the other wrist).

And, in the future, be sure to wash your watch at least a couple times a week, especially at even the slightest first hint of itchiness. And if anything is even a very little bit red or itchy, use a bit of antibacterial ointment.

Another possibility, though relatively unlikely, is that you could have gotten something you’re allergic to trapped under your watch. For example, if there’s an ingredient in a soap at a public restroom that you’re very mildly allergic to and you splashed a bit high enough on your wrist and didn’t rinse underneath, that’s had enough time in close contact with your wrist for the mild reaction to build, little by little unseen underneath your wrist, to something nasty.

But it’s probably just the wrist equivalent of athlete’s foot: a nice, warm, sweaty environment that the worng kind of bacteria took up residence in and went crazy.

After googling this, I now see I am not alone and there is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. I have discussed with Apple Support and I am waiting for them to get back to me. They are aware of the problem and I hope they come back with a solution or updated replacement.

There’s nothing worng with the watch that a good scrubbing (with something non-abrasive!) won’t fix.

b&

TAZ911

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Unfortunately, while folks can have allergic reactions to watches or components in them that are contacting the skin, they are a minority of users. Doesn’t make it less of a PITA for those dealing with it. Also doesn’t mean that Apple or any company owes anyone.

First step will be to go to a doctor and find out what you’re dealing with. Is it an allergy to something like Nickel (used as an under plate in lots of materials) or do you have some other issue.

Then you can go to Apple with a diagnosis instead of a picture. They are t a doctor and will/should not make any diagnoses. I’m the army of lawyers would, rightfully, jump down anyone’s throat who did. They might be nice and offer a refund/return or something. Or not, especially if it’s a device that has been used for years.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Could not have been the sensor that burned your wrist as the “irritations” seem to be in the areas surrounding the sensor. Looks like maybe you got soap or some other irritant between you and the watch. Hard to believe you did not remove it quicker as that is one of the worst irritations I have seen on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
Doesn't look ridiculous. Looks like the battery and watch might of been defective.

What did the apple say about all of this?
People do get burned from MacBooks, an apple watch could do this, more so the series 3 and earlier which run quite hot.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Doesn't look ridiculous. Looks like the battery and watch might of been defective.

People do get burned from MacBooks, an apple watch could do this, more so the series 3 and earlier which run quite hot.

Why does it look like the battery in the watch was defective?

How do Macbooks burn people?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
My Apple Watches have only felt warm, very warm sometimes, when I’ve first taken them off the charger. Warm won’t leave marks like that unless you have something on your skin that is causing a reaction with the increased temp. However that warmth that I mentioned quickly goes away once it’s off the charger. What your pictures look like is heat not warmth which should have been obvious, looking at the pics, very obvious. Any of these devices can overheat due to some runaway or stuck process - computers, phones, even these watches, which would also quickly deplete the battery. Normally a restart or a forced shutdown/restart kills that process and brings everything back to normal. Fortunately I’ve never had that happen on any of my Apple Watches, but I have had it happen on an iphone and even once or twice on my mac over the years, but I wasn’t wearing them at the time🤷‍♂️
Its imperative to use the apple charger. Most docks cannot regulate the change and will not stop. Hence a hot watch all the time while on the charger.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
Don't use cellular unless you need to.

Turn off AOD.

Reduce background apps and sensors.

Turn off notifications.

Don't text or check email on it constantly.

(Now you don't have much of a smart watch so I'm not sure what the point is lol but it will help battery life)

No its ridiculous that people believe the pictures are even of a wrist, and equally ridiculous that it caused burns.

Reactions: Jackbequickly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.