Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
I just bought myself an Apple Watch series 6, 44 mm, in graphite.
I’m very happy with its look. It both looks and feels premium.
It came with the graphite Milanese loop. But, after having read some previous threads on this forum, I’m scared to use it, because it might scratch my new watch. Which is a pity, as I think it looks great.
So, I have a couple of questions. Is it really THAT likely to scratch my watch? Or is it just that I have to be careful while inserting it and removing it? Or does the watch get scratched from regular use?
And what are your favorite bands to go along with it? I have only had my watch since yesterday, so I haven’t got around to try very many bands yet. But, so far I like the plum sport band, the kumquat and vitamin C bands, and of course I would love to enjoy a true black one, but it feels like both my regular black sport band and the Nike black/anthracite band looks a bit “dull” when paired with the stainless steel..
What are your favorites, graphite owners?

Reactions: redman042

1CaesaR1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2020
I don't have a ton of bands, but I really like the midnight blue with it (currently my daily pairing). I got bored with the black and Nike black/anthracite band quickly. I have yet to try to the blue horizon band which I am using with my S5 Silver SS. I think that will look good with graphite as well.

Reactions: Telesmurfen

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
3D104BFD-4C42-4F99-9775-57F049F77D2D.jpeg

I’ve found that it looks very nice with colorful, contrasting colors too.. such as this Surf band. I’ve also tried it with Vitamine C and Ginger (yellow). Looks quite good ? as for the milanese loop, should it be avoided because it scratches the watch, or is it ok to use it occationally (when not working or working out)…? Also, I would really love to see more pictures ??

Reactions: bricktop_at

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Of course you can wear the Milanese Loop, you just have to be careful putting it on and off. I have the Graphite Milanese myself and use it with the silver Steel Watch occasionally; no problem and no scratches.

Also, why don‘t you just search in the „Show off your Apple Watch“ thread and/or the „Every Apple Watch band … ever“ thread for „Graphite“? You‘ll find tons of pictures with all kinds of bands. Such as this one:

img_0255-jpeg.1726704

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
As far as the Milanese Loop is concerned, I’ve wore one for years, without it causing damage of any kind. I prefer the Leather Loop now for comfort, but still put the Milanese on now and again.

My watch though, only ever goes from my wrist, to a charging stand. So there’s not a lot of opportunities for the band to cause damage. I would have thought that allowing the band to rub against the case, screen, or back, would cause scratches in the same way rubbing any metal on it would.

I clearly need to peruse some threads though, I just don’t see where the damage is coming from. Beyond, as I say, if someone were allowing the metal strap to rub against the case in some way.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
The new Graphite is a better match for the black link bracelet than the older space black watches. The only downside is that they are freakin expensive.

You could buy a style very similar to the link for a fraction of the cost. I got myself a SS which unless you took it off and inspected it closely you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between an Apple one or this. But you are right, the combo looks great.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I'm curious about this as well. I've only owned natural (uncoated) SS Apple Watches and exclusively use a Link Bracelet that I purchased way back in 2015. Love the combo but the darker option of graphite, better adjustability and breathability of the Milanese, and the scratch resistance is appealing to me and I'm considering it for my next upgrade to Series 7.

But graphite only works for me if it isn't prone to bad scratching from the Milanese Loop itself. I've heard the complaints, but if the scratches are relatively rare and minor then I'm fine with it. I don't stress over scratches that require close inspection to see. I just want the watch to continue to look great overall. I do occasionally bump into door handles and such so I just want to know that it will resist damage reasonably well in those scenarios.

Hoping more who have had this combo can chime in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.