Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The ban on imports of Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 models has today been temporarily paused, meaning that the devices can now go back on sale for a short while longer in the United States.

Apple-Watch-Series-9.jpg

Apple filed an emergency request to the United States Court of Appeals following President Biden's decision to decline a veto on the sales ban, allowing it to take effect earlier this week. The Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit today accepted an interim stay while the court reviews Apple's request for a full stay for the length of the appeal, effectively pausing the ban on Apple Watch imports for a brief period.

The International Trade Commission (ITC) now has until January 10 to file its response to Apple's request for a full stay while the appeal plays out. The ITC initiated proceedings against Apple after Masimo accuses Apple of hiring away its employees to steal technology related to blood oxygen monitoring in the Apple Watch.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 Sales Ban Paused by US Appeals Court

Last edited:
Reactions: SurferPup

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Can anyone explain why this case was only heard after the ban came into effect?

Surely it would have been better before sales were disrupted?

My guess is Apple could not file an appeal until the President formally declined to strike down the import ban by 25 December. So they had to wait until at least the 26th to file (assuming the Court was open for business on that day).

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
i'm buying one and not opening, it will be a collector's item..
The ban on imports of Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 models has today been paused, meaning that the devices can go on sale for a short while longer in the United States .
Damn you, US Appeals Court. You ruined Bigkool2inSC's and others' plan to turn Apple Watch into a collector's item. 🤣

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The appeals court’s temporary block on the ITC’s order will allow the U.S. Customs department to consider Apple’s redesign of the offending Apple Watch models, a fix that is expected to take place by January 12.

the news this morning are a bit confusing but it seems Apple now has a couple weeks to show that their SW "fix" adheres to ITC guideline to permanently stop the ban?

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
The appeals court’s temporary block on the ITC’s order will allow the U.S. Customs department to consider Apple’s redesign of the offending Apple Watch models, a fix that is expected to take place by January 12.

the news this morning are a bit confusing but it seems Apple now has a couple weeks to show that their SW "fix" adheres to ITC guideline to permanently stop the ban?
Apple has not immediately started selling the watches again. As of today Dec 27 at 12PM EST the watches are NOT on sale at apple.com. Not sure what the stores are doing.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Apple has not immediately started selling the watches again. As of today Dec 27 at 12PM EST the watches are NOT on sale at apple.com. Not sure what the stores are doing.
yea, I was wondering about that, they might think that stopping, starting and potentially stopping again an a couple weeks might look more ridiculous, who knows

Reactions: Wags and surfzen21

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
yea, I was wondering about that, they might think that stopping, starting and potentially stopping again an a couple weeks might look more ridiculous, who knows
That's probably true as well. I want to read the decision but i'm also being lazy 😂

Reactions: jz0309
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.