Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its "Wonderlust" event in 2023, alongside the Apple Watch Series 9, Apple announced the Apple Watch Ultra 2. The Apple Watch Ultra is a relatively new kind of smartwatch from Apple with a focus on withstanding extreme environments, a high level of durability, extended battery life, and additional features to aid activities like diving and exploration.

Apple-Watch-Series-9-vs-Ultra-2-Buyers-Guide.jpg

Both the Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra 2 feature the S9 chip, a second-generation Ultra Wideband chip, an Always-On Retina display, IP6X dust resistance, and more, but there are significant differences between the two devices.

With as little as $50 between the 45mm stainless steel Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra, some prospective customers will be weighing up whether it is worth spending a little extra to get the 49mm Ultra model. While there is a $400 difference between the 41mm aluminum Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra, the high-end model offers a set of features to address specific challenges, so it may even be worth it for some of these buyers.

Apple Watch Series 9Apple Watch Ultra (second-generation)
Aluminum casingAerospace-grade titanium casing
Front crystal curves at edges onto shaped aluminum casingLighter, corrosion resistant case with raised edges to protect the flat sapphire front crystal
Digital Crown with haptic feedback and side buttonDigital Crown with haptic feedback, side button, and customizable Action button
45mm or 41 mm case size (vertical)49mm casing size (vertical)
10.7mm thickness14.4mm thickness
Weighs 31.9 grams to 51.5 gramsWeighs 61.4 grams
Ion-X front glass (aluminum) or sapphire crystal (stainless steel)Sapphire crystal front glass
Curved display with refractive edgeFlat display
904 sq mm (41mm) or 1,143 sq mm (45mm) display area1164 sq mm display area
352 by 430 pixels (41mm) or 396 by 484 pixels (45mm)410 by 502 pixels
Up to 2,000 nits brightnessUp to 3,000 nits brightness
Exclusive Wayfinder and Modular Ultra faces
Night Mode for low-visibility conditions
Single speakerDual speakers
Single microphoneTriple-microphone array with beamforming and wind noise mitigation
GPS (L1)Precision dual-frequency GPS (L1 and L5)
86-decibel Siren to attract attention
Water resistant to 50mWater resistant to 100m
SwimproofSwimproof and recreational dive to 40m
Tested to MIL-STD 810H
EN13319 certification
Water temperature sensor, depth gauge, and dive computer app
Up to 18-hour battery life, up to 36 hours in Low Power ModeUp to 36-hour battery life, up to 72 hours in Low Power Mode
Available in Midnight, Starlight, Silver, Pink, and PRODUCT(RED) (aluminum) or Silver, Graphite, or Gold (stainless steel)Natural titanium finish only
Starts at $399 (aluminum) and $699 (stainless steel)Priced at $799

The Apple Watch Ultra offers specific capabilities to address the requirements of those who need their Apple Watch to provide assistance in challenging environments. If you need a more durable Apple Watch with features like a brighter display, louder speakers, a more reliable GPS, better water resistance, and more, the Apple Watch Ultra is undoubtedly the best choice.

The Apple Watch Ultra is also the largest and most feature-rich Apple Watch option available, not to mention that it offers the first true redesign of the device since its introduction in 2015. For technology enthusiasts, Apple Watch Ultra represents a way to get a new Apple Watch experience with the top specifications. Features like longer battery life and a larger, brighter display are also highly accessible, and will be beneficial to all users. As such, some customers may still be inclined to choose the Apple Watch Ultra 2 over the Apple Watch Series 9, even if they do not need it for use in challenging environments.

As the largest Apple Watch model to date, the size of the Apple Watch Ultra will not be for everyone. If you already prefer the 41mm Apple Watch casing size, the Apple Watch Ultra may be far too large for you. If in doubt, it may be worth heading to an Apple Store and trying on the Apple Watch Ultra in person to get to grips with the size and determine if it is too big and bulky for you.

Similarly, the Apple Watch Ultra's look may not appeal to some buyers. If you prefer the stainless steel Apple Watch and are looking for a more fashion-focused smartwatch that pairs well... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 9 vs. Ultra 2 Buyer's Guide: 25 Differences Compared

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm stuck on the Ultra for the foreseeable future. The battery life is just too good (Though in my watchOS 10 testing, I've been draining way faster, used to go 80->45 or so in a day, now 80->25) and the flat display makes interacting with the screen much easier (especially for tapping out a text reply.)

And now with the Modular Ultra watchface, I can't go back to only 6 (counting the date) complications 😂

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I'm not a pro user, I'm not a diver or mountain climber; but I did get the Ultra 1 last year. Why? I like the bigger screen. I love the battery life. I love the brighter screen. I see the "original" Apple Watches now and I can never go back. It's like going from a Ford to a Tesla back to a Ford. I highly recommend spending the extra $$$ on the Ultra if you wear your Apple Watch daily.

elimporta2

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2022
The Ultra is too big for the short battery life it offers. I Got the 9th as my daily and use conventional watches for special events and when traveling. The Apple Watch is really good for Nike running.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I actually thought about going with an ultra, but I don’t do any intensive sports. The extra battery life would be nice, but other than that, I’m not sure if I should get one.

VTGuy79

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2023
The Ultra is too gaumy and too much money for a watch. I'll probably end up testing a series 9. In all honesty, I may even end up returning the 9.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

At its "Wonderlust" event in 2023, alongside the Apple Watch Series 9, Apple announced the Apple Watch Ultra 2. The Apple Watch Ultra is a relatively new kind of smartwatch from Apple with a focus on withstanding extreme environments, a high level of durability, extended battery life, and additional features to aid activities like diving and exploration.

Apple-Watch-Series-9-vs-Ultra-2-Buyers-Guide.jpg

Both the Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra 2 feature the S9 chip, a second-generation Ultra Wideband chip, an Always-On Retina display, IP6X dust resistance, and more, but there are significant differences between the two devices.

With as little as $50 between the 45mm stainless steel Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra, some prospective customers will be weighing up whether it is worth spending a little extra to get the 49mm Ultra model. While there is a $400 difference between the 41mm aluminum Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra, the high-end model offers a set of features to address specific challenges, so it may even be worth it for some of these buyers.

Apple Watch Series 9Apple Watch Ultra (second-generation)
Aluminum casingAerospace-grade titanium casing
Front crystal curves at edges onto shaped aluminum casingLighter, corrosion resistant case with raised edges to protect the flat sapphire front crystal
Digital Crown with haptic feedback and side buttonDigital Crown with haptic feedback, side button, and customizable Action button
45mm or 41 mm case size (vertical)49mm casing size (vertical)
10.7mm thickness14.4mm thickness
Weighs 31.9 grams to 51.5 gramsWeighs 61.4 grams
Ion-X front glass (aluminum) or sapphire crystal (stainless steel)Sapphire crystal front glass
Curved display with refractive edgeFlat display
904 sq mm (41mm) or 1,143 sq mm (45mm) display area1164 sq mm display area
352 by 430 pixels (41mm) or 396 by 484 pixels (45mm)410 by 502 pixels
Up to 2,000 nits brightnessUp to 3,000 nits brightness
Exclusive Wayfinder and Modular Ultra faces
Night Mode for low-visibility conditions
Single speakerDual speakers
Single microphoneTriple-microphone array with beamforming and wind noise migitation
GPS (L1)Precision dual-frequency GPS (L1 and L5)
86-decibel Siren to attract attention
Water resistant to 50mWater resistant to 100m
SwimproofSwimproof and recreational dive to 40m
Tested to MIL-STD 810H
EN13319 certification
Water temperature sensor, depth gauge, and dive computer app
Up to 18-hour battery life, up to 36 hours in Low Power ModeUp to 36-hour battery life, up to 72 hours in Low Power Mode
Available in Midnight, Starlight, Silver, Pink, and PRODUCT(RED) (aluminum) or Silver, Graphite, or Gold (stainless steel)Natural titanium finish only
Starts at $399 (aluminum) and $699 (stainless steel)Priced at $799

The Apple Watch Ultra offers specific capabilities to address the requirements of those who need their Apple Watch to provide assistance in challenging environments. If you need a more durable Apple Watch with features like a brighter display, louder speakers, a more reliable GPS, better water resistance, and more, the Apple Watch Ultra is undoubtedly the best choice.

The Apple Watch Ultra is also the largest and most feature-rich Apple Watch option available, not to mention that it offers the first true redesign of the device since its introduction in 2015. For technology enthusiasts, Apple Watch Ultra represents a way to get a new Apple Watch experience with the top specifications. Features like longer battery life and a larger, brighter display are also highly accessible, and will be beneficial to all users. As such, some customers may still be inclined to choose the Apple Watch Ultra 2 over the Apple Watch Series 9, even if they do not need it for use in challenging environments.

As the largest Apple Watch model to date, the size of the Apple Watch Ultra will not be for everyone. If you already prefer the 41mm Apple Watch casing size, the Apple Watch Ultra may be far too large for you. If in doubt, it may be worth heading to an Apple Store and trying on the Apple Watch Ultra in person to get to grips with the size and determine if it is too big and bulky for you.

Similarly, the Apple Watch Ultra's look may not appeal to some buyers. If you prefer the stainless steel Apple Watch and are looking for a more fashion-focused smartwatch that pairs well... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 9 vs. Ultra 2 Buyer's Guide: 25 Differences Compared
There's a lot to like about the Ultra.
However for me, I don't like the size, the sharp edges around the watch face and the Titanium finish, in truth the only feature missing for me from the 9ss is the battery life as I use the cellular often, but apart from that, I much prefer the stainless steel option

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
I'm stuck on the Ultra for the foreseeable future. The battery life is just too good (Though in my watchOS 10 testing, I've been draining way faster, used to go 80->45 or so in a day, now 80->25) and the flat display makes interacting with the screen much easier (especially for tapping out a text reply.)

And now with the Modular Ultra watchface, I can't go back to only 6 (counting the date) complications 😂
I agree about my Ultra as well and I hope battery life in 10 gets better with future updates.

6 complications Ewwwwwwww 😂

I use and actually use all 8 and I think I could maybe get rid of 1 but not happily.

mattyeahoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2018
I have never come so close to buying something then deciding not to. I have a series 6 in blue and I’m going to wait another year for the series X. As much as I want it, the ultra is just too big for my 165mm wrist and I have no need for cellular(my carrier doesn’t even offer it). There’s not much in terms of upgrades that I’d use that either the 9 or Ultra offer over my 6 so I’m going to wait. It wasn’t easy and I truly hope next year will be an exciting year for the watch.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I'm upgrading from the S6 to the S9 stainless steel. I considered the Ultra 2 and almost went with it, but the biggest issue for me is using my large collection of existing bands. Some of the non-Ultra bands look ok on the Ultra, but many don't.

Obioban

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Ultra 2 ordered.

For me, all my watches have ended with a broken screen-- the raised edges around the screen should hopefully prevent that from happening.

The battery life has gotten annoying on my other watches as they got old. I only need one waking day of battery life, but the extra buffer of the Ultra should let it have that for years to come. I'll start out only charging it to 80%, until it starts getting into the teens when I go to bed-- then allow it to charge to 100.

Coming from a series 5. I expect this ultra 2 to get more years of service than I got from my 5. The 5 will likely become a dedicated sleep tracker now.

I'm 6'4, so don't think it'll be overly large on me. The Max phones have never seemed large in my pockets 😛

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I'm not a pro user, I'm not a diver or mountain climber; but I did get the Ultra 1 last year. Why? I like the bigger screen. I love the battery life. I love the brighter screen. I see the "original" Apple Watches now and I can never go back. It's like going from a Ford to a Tesla back to a Ford. I highly recommend spending the extra $$$ on the Ultra if you wear your Apple Watch daily.
Tried it and it’s great all around in terms of functionality and battery, build, etc.

But the size and style just doesn’t fit me (or hardly anyone else, imho).

It takes AW from being something that could be mistaken for a timepiece to something that’s obviously a mini iPhone/iPod/iPad strapped to your wrist.

I also cannot get used to sleeping with it because of its protruding edges and size.

I hope Apple makes a smaller one or just gives the standard AWs a ******* battery upgrade after all these years so we don’t have to compromise and pay double just to be able to go a full day without charging 1-2 times.

If Apple can fit 300-ish mAhs in there then surely they can fit 400 or 500?!!

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
We’re a dying breed, but I’m still a stainless/sapphire guy. If I didn’t have incredibly tiny hands that make the Ultra look insanely goofy on me, I might consider it, but it’s a non-starter on size alone for me.

And aside from battery, not a single extra feature over the base models is applicable to me. My one major fitness activity is cycling and I have a dedicated computer for that already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.