Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I’m not too familiar with Apple Watch life cycles but I wanted to get some opinions on this.

My Apple Watch SE’s screen cracked a while back. Out of AppleCare+ (I’m dumb, I know) and I think it’s about $250 to replace. For reference, this is the larger, cellular version.

Should I go ahead and get it repaired or wait to see what the fall brings? Maybe the repair costs decrease since it’s older? Maybe there’s a new SE with better features (then what do I do with mine)? Anything else to consider?

I currently have an S0 I’m using daily so it’s not THAT important but I hate seeing it sit there. Along with missing some of the features and speed.

appleiPhUser12

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2021
There is a new SE I've been hearing about, but not sure if it's out yet. The latest right now is the AW Series 7. They're working on AW 8 as well. Idk when that will be out.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Rumours has it that the SE2 comes out this year.

But you know how rumours work...

I don't anticipate it becoming cheaper to repair, I don't recall that ever happening.

Reactions: appleiPhUser12

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Thanks everyone. I might just go ahead and get it repaired. I just wish I would be able to add AppleCare+ to it. I guess I'll get a little case thing for it.

Reactions: appleiPhUser12

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
In my opinion, Apple Watches are rarely worth it to replace when you crack the screen (or frankly any real damage). They depreciate in value very fast, and because "repairing" it usually just means Apple gives you a new refurbished one, Apple prices the repair costs pretty heftily.

Couple that with the fact that the AW SE is now approaching 2 years old (released Sep 2020), but still being sold at full price at Apple, paying $250 to repair it, honestly, I think you'd be better off buying 1) a new one from Apple for not that much more, 2) a new one from Amazon (at least get a discount), 3) used AW5, 6 or 7 on the secondary market.

Especially for option 3, you could get a better watch than the SE for basically the same price as the repair. If you're interested in #3, I've had good experience with Swappa.com, which is basically like an Ebay for electronics, but more community-based / less scammy. Take a look - for $200-250, you could easily get a good condition AW6.

Reactions: arkitect

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
In my opinion, Apple Watches are rarely worth it to replace when you crack the screen (or frankly any real damage). They depreciate in value very fast, and because "repairing" it usually just means Apple gives you a new refurbished one, Apple prices the repair costs pretty heftily.

Couple that with the fact that the AW SE is now approaching 2 years old (released Sep 2020), but still being sold at full price at Apple, paying $250 to repair it, honestly, I think you'd be better off buying 1) a new one from Apple for not that much more, 2) a new one from Amazon (at least get a discount), 3) used AW5, 6 or 7 on the secondary market.

Especially for option 3, you could get a better watch than the SE for basically the same price as the repair. If you're interested in #3, I've had good experience with Swappa.com, which is basically like an Ebay for electronics, but more community-based / less scammy. Take a look - for $200-250, you could easily get a good condition AW6.
Thanks. I’ve been weighing on option 3 since it broke.

Any ideas on what to do with the broken one? I don't want to just let it sit in a drawer.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Thanks. I’ve been weighing on option 3 since it broke.

Any ideas on what to do with the broken one? I don't want to just let it sit in a drawer.
I shattered the screen on my old Series 2 before I bought my current Series 5. I just gave it to Apple to recycle for me... You could try to sell as-is for cheap, someone may pick it up for parts?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I shattered the screen on my old Series 2 before I bought my current Series 5. I just gave it to Apple to recycle for me... You could try to sell as-is for cheap, someone may pick it up for parts?
So maybe I wait. It's a couple of months away anyway. If anything, I can pick up a newer model or something for about the same price. And I'll definitely get AppleCare+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.