Apple Watch & Shopping Lists

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sarcasticon, Jun 24, 2015.

?

Should lists stay available until you clear them?

1. Yes! Fix this!

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Meh, other things should come first.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. You can make shopping lists?

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Sarcasticon macrumors newbie

Sarcasticon

I was really looking forward to checking off items from a list while shopping for groceries. I've tried Evernote, Wunderlist and Clear. The problem? The lists all disappear and you have to click through 2-4 steps to get it back so you can check off the next item.

This disappearing act has GOT to be fixed in an update. Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

2. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Isn't there a setting for this?

Something to do with displaying the last app (which would be your list-making app) instead of the watch face whenever you "wake" the watch.

3. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

You have 2 choices, either change watch setting display the last app instead of watch face or double click the digital crown to show the last app used.

I use Clear when I'm shopping and the double click is handy.

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I use Evernote and double click if I have to get back to it.

5. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yep, it's on the watch itself: Settings icon ---> General ---> Activate on Wrist Raise ---> Resume To = Last Used App.

The one thing I don't like about this method is that an unintended wrist raise later in the day will activate your list app and you may check things off without even realizing the screen is on.

6. groovyf macrumors 6502

That setting actually makes no difference on my watch. It *always* shows last app, even if set to show Clock Face.
    Same thing on a friend's watch too.

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Interesting. It looks like there's a 25 second "holding period" for your app, even if you have it configured to display the clock face.

Here's what I'm seeing. If I have an app up when the screen darkens and I wake the screen within 25 seconds, the app reappears. If I wake it after 25 seconds, I get the clock face.

I guess it's designed that way so you can work "continuously" with an app - albeit with small interruptions (less than 25 seconds)

8. groovyf macrumors 6502

Star man! That's spot-on. I hadn't thought about there being a "timer" on it, but it does make sense that it works that way.

Thanks!

9. Sarcasticon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sarcasticon

Dang! I didn't know about the double-click on the crown! I wonder what else I'm missing!

10. Haxley macrumors regular

Haxley

I changed my settings to "display last used app" because of this. Completely worth it, have never looked back. Last used app is usually my watch face anyway and if I'm not there, it's easy enough to get to.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Try force-touch in random apps. There's all sorts of goodies hidden away in there :)

12. sarasera, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

sarasera macrumors newbie

I use Buy me a pie. It dosen't disappear while shopping.

13. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

But $24.99 for a shopping app? I can find work arounds with other apps before I would even think about that price for an app.

14. gadgetjunkie1 macrumors newbie

gadgetjunkie1

Just get the free version

15. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Thanks for the reply, however it seems that the free app has lots of ads.

16. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Now, I'm not trying to promote my own app here, I'm just mentioning it as it's what I use for my own shopping lists. The fact that I make it is just coincidental. I mean I could make a separate account to post as just me, but that would be worse than being open and honest about these things, but I digress.

That out of the way, I use Easily for my shopping lists these days, the latest update improved on shopping lists by adding a tally feature that keeps track of your spending as you go round checking off what you've picked up.

There's a thread about it in the Apple Watch apps section with much more information.

But regardless of the app you use, I'm loving the fact that I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket to check my list or make changes to it. It's the simple things like that I really like the Apple Watch for.

17. Glenn.eu macrumors member

Glenn.eu

I wish the iOS app "shopshop" would update with an apple watch update...
    I also found "Idealist" free app to test out with a max of 20 items in your list and 2$ for the full version, much lower then 25$ for "Buy me a pie!" :)

18. sarasera macrumors newbie

Sorry I bought it in janurary for 19 dkr, that is 2.9 USD.