Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjc22us

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2017
Hi everyone,

My Apple Watch will no longer take a charge. I think it is called the Apple Watch Snake Charging Error. It keeps flashing up.

I've held down the power button for 10 seconds and even the Digital Crown and the button for 10 seconds and nothing changes.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
3 main possibilities and troubleshooting steps.

• Wall wart/adaptor not working - Plug into a different USB power source to check
  • Puck or cable defective - Try another charging puck to check
  • :apple:Watch defective - Try charger puck on another :apple:Watch to see if it works

sjc22us

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2017
3 main possibilities and troubleshooting steps.

• Wall wart/adaptor not working - Plug into a different USB power source to check
  • Puck or cable defective - Try another charging puck to check
  • :apple:Watch defective - Try charger puck on another :apple:Watch to see if it works

Thanks for the reply Julien. I have another Apple Watch and use the setup in the video to charge it without any issues so I'm 100% sure it's the watch. I'm not sure I fancy trying to replace the battery myself and a replacement trough apple looks like it could be close to £100.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Thanks for the reply Julien. I have another Apple Watch and use the setup in the video to charge it without any issues so I'm 100% sure it's the watch. I'm not sure I fancy trying to replace the battery myself and a replacement trough apple looks like it could be close to £100.
DO NOT attempt any repairs on the watch yourself. I'm an experienced repair technician about to open my own shop, and even I refuse to service the Apple Watch. They are simply not designed to be repaired.

I would try to test your luck with apple anyway, even though it's out of warranty. If there's no physical damage to it apple he been known to be pretty generous. No harm in trying.

sjc22us

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2017
DO NOT attempt any repairs on the watch yourself. I'm an experienced repair technician about to open my own shop, and even I refuse to service the Apple Watch. They are simply not designed to be repaired.

I would try to test your luck with apple anyway, even though it's out of warranty. If there's no physical damage to it apple he been known to be pretty generous. No harm in trying.

Ok thank you for your professional opinion. I'll book an opponent and see what they say.

I looked at videos online but I'm guaranteed to mess it up. I've repaired iPhones in the past but it does look like a pain removing the screen.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If it is a Gen1/Series 0 watch, Apple may still take care of it under the warranty extension. Apple extended the repair period for First Gen Apple Watches with battery issues to 3 years. While this program may be specifically targetted to deal with those who have battery swelling issues, it can't hurt to see what they say.

sjc22us

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2017
If it is a Gen1/Series 0 watch, Apple may still take care of it under the warranty extension. Apple extended the repair period for First Gen Apple Watches with battery issues to 3 years. While this program may be specifically targetted to deal with those who have battery swelling issues, it can't hurt to see what they say.

Thank you for the reply. Do you know if I would need my original receipt? I paid cash and cannot find it

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thank you for the reply. Do you know if I would need my original receipt? I paid cash and cannot find it

I am not sure. I would think not, if they were going to cover it under the extended warranty, since they all still fall under that umbrella of coverage. But that would be a question you would have to ask them.

sjc22us

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2017
I am not sure. I would think not, if they were going to cover it under the extended warranty, since they all still fall under that umbrella of coverage. But that would be a question you would have to ask them.

Thank you for your help on the matter :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

If the Apple Watch was purchased directly from Apple, you do not need a receipt and they can look up the transaction without the receipt. If it was purchased from a third-party retailer, some do require receipts, but they also have the method of looking up the transaction without the receipt.

Reactions: SDColorado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.