Apple Watch Space Gray or Stainless Steel?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by boombox15, Jun 30, 2015.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

I am thinking about buying an Apple Watch (42mm for sure) but I am stuck between two choices. My first choice is the Space Gray Sport. I love the look of the space gray and I think it would look great with other bands. The second choice is the stainless steel with the black sport band. The only thing that is preventing me from deciding is the ION-X Glass vs the Sapphire display. I don't want to get one with glass that breaks easily but I don't know how strong the ion-x glass is.

Thoughts?

2. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Go with Sport. It's 40% lighter. Screen has lesser reflectivity.

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

I got the sport and spent the extra money on AppleCare+

4. radiohead1075 macrumors member

Have you tried both on? For me, I do not like the feeling of being weighed down by a heavy watch ... so I am quite happy with my space gray sport. It's low key and looks great ... again, personal opinions!

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Do you care about how it looks? Then get stainless steel

6. boombox15, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I have not had a chance to try them on. I don't live near a store. Is the ion-x glass durable enough to not require a screen protector? Also, I am not a fan about how easily the stainless steel scratches

7. xraytech, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

xraytech macrumors 68020

Stainless Steel is more scratch resistant than anodized aluminum and if you do manage to put a scratch on Stainless it is really hard to see.

If you're dead set on Aluminum, Space Grey is probably the worst color to get because scratch the surface on a Space Grey case then the Aluminum underneath shines bright reminding you "Damn!!! Should have got Stainless Steel". Remember ScratchGate with the Space Grey iPhone 5.

[​IMG]

As for Ion-X vs Saphire Scratch Resistance

BUT HOLD ON!!!

Ion-X vs Saphire Impact Resistance

The above test are pretty extreme but for my money and everyday use without any type of protection, Stainless wins Hands Down.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

huh? You should be a fan of stainless steel scratches because the scratches are easily buffed out with a polishing cloth. Aluminum on the other hand. you're SOL.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have had the Space Grey for nearly two months now. No scratches. I did get a screen protector for it, but that's brcause I'm rather clumsy, and it gives me peace of mind to have screen protectors on my devices. If you use the iPhone without a screen protector, well, the glass on the Sport watch is basically the same type of glass.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Go with the SS as it is more durable and I have seen many posts here where users have moved from the Sport to the SS and been very happy. The choice is yours, both are very nice.

11. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

I think if you are asking yourself whether you should get a SGS over a SS then get the SS. If in doubt buy the Stainless Steel.
    I've had both and I ended up with the SS. I do agree that the SGS outdoor visibility is better than the SS though.

12. Tanmay macrumors newbie

Definitely get the steel. It looks more premium and actually looks like a watch. The sports just feels like a gadget. Plus the steel matches really well with metal bands, 6 months in when you decide to get that milanese loop, the steel is the one that will complement it the best.

13. dr34mc4st3r macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

Go for stainless steel for more options on bands

14. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Has there been any documented proof that the space gray will scratch as easily as the iPhone 5 did? You'd think Apple would learn from that experience.

15. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I had a Space Grey Sport, Upgraded to Stainless Steel with Sport Band, then bought an Aftermarket Milanese Loop, and will probably end up with Apple Care+ again (had it on the sport).

So, my all in went from
    432 + 55 for apple care .. would have bought a band too so +162= 649 (tax included)
    to
    652 + 162 + 65 = 879 (tax included) Assuming I buy AC+ again.. currently i'm invest 814.. still a lot.

I love the watch and I just didn't feel like the space grey looked a whole lot like a watch, and the SS looks and does feel much better.

Weather it's nearly 230 better is up to the buyer. I'm not stressing about it and i felt like treating myself. love it :)

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I keep saying this -- I have Space Grey Sport, two months, no scratches. And you are right that it's a very different finish than the one on the 5S.

17. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

I originally bought a Sport but upgraded to the stainless steel. The Sport was okay but it just didn't give me the wow factor I was looking for plus it felt bulky on my wrist. I have the stainless steel with the stainless strap and it just has a classier look and is more versatile, especially in a professional work environment. I thought about going with black but opted for the more classic look. It's really all about your personal preferences coupled with budgetary considerations.

18. starbot macrumors regular

What's with your handle if you hate aluminum so much??

Sport gray looks great, so does stainless.

I much prefer the sport's weight for, you know, sports, but I don't mind a heavier watch. For me, my traditional mechanical time pieces fill this void well.

Very tough anodizing- no scratches in the aluminum despite numerous collisions with walls, etc. (I've owned my watch for exactly two months now.)

I would be surprised if the Sport's anodizing wasn't both harder and thicker than that of the iPhone 5!

19. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

my iPhone, iPad, iMac and macbook are all aluminum and I love it :)

I've run 10k races with my SS Watch and it doesn't bother me 1%, like most watches, the weight is NULL after a few minutes of wearing it, it's not even considered a slightly heavy watch in the watch world.

Wear your watch everyday? then it makes sense to be able to have something that can fit any occasion, hence the watch band switching and the sport model looks terrible with leather and steel bands. Sport looks like a gadget/toy with not versatility

20. starbot macrumors regular

Agreed on all points (except I think the blue leather loop does look great on the SG).

That being said, I don't think the AW SS can substitute for a proper round analog watch in many, dressier situations. I still wear my other watches ~3 days a week, but if it's your only watch, SS may make more sense.

The 200$ premium is a lot IMHO.

21. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Update: Ordered the Stainless Steel Apple Watch 42mm with a black sport band last night. I was given an estimated delivery date of July 16-20, however, it is going to be delivered on July 6. Apple really needs to change their dates online.

22. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

This has been the trend for shipment dates; Apple's estimated delivery is a worst case date. Enjoy your watch!

23. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

I think they overestimate shipping to cover for any issues that may happen (so you can't question ship time unless it's past July 20th). I'd be happy with faster ship date, rather than the other way around.

Congrats on your Apple Watch! I went with Sport/aluminium, but it's all personal choice. I prefer the light weight and style of Sport (no mirror finish).

24. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

If you can comfortably afford the SS go for it. You'll be happy you did!!