Apple Watch SS cracked sapphire glass

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nigels0, May 14, 2018.

1. nigels0 macrumors member

hi,

I managed to drop my SS series 1 Apple Watch - only a couple of feet but onto tile, and the screen cracked diagonally right across the display.

As I didn’t have AppleCare, I took it into a third-party repairer and they changed the screen over to a new one. I don’t think it was a sapphire screen, but I was OK with the look.

Strangest thing though, the RFID didn’t work - even after completely resetting and restoring from backup. As I use that function a lot to pay for things, I had to get the old screen put back - crack and all.

Just wondered if anyone else knew a way of getting around the problem and replacing the screen and have the RFID function working?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My advice is to avoid third-party repair when it comes to the Apple Watch. If you truly want it repaired to have normal function, then I would opt for Apple to do it or simply upgrade to a newer model if applicable.

3. nigels0 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your advice.

Does anyone have any experience of repair and whether the RFID worked afterward?

4. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

I am with Relentless Power. Third party repairs always use the cheapest replacement parts known to man and something never works.

I think google may be your friend here :)

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you take it to Apple for repair or replacement, there is no doubt your watch will function fully.

6. nigels0 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your advice, I have tried google. I’m asking a different question.

7. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

If Apple can’t even repair the watches on site how is a third party doing it?

8. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

First of all call me stupid if I'm mistaken, but Apple never made a SS Series 1. The SS only came in the original (commonly referred to as Series 0), Series 2, and Series 3.

In terms of the real problem, if the RFID works like on the iPhone, I remember there were issues when there were aftermarket replacements on iPhones and TouchID stopped working because of security measures where the enclave and parts didn't match. That might be whats happening here. Since the watch only unlocks with the screen or thru the iPhone, there might be a security fail check which disables the RFID for Apple Pay to keep your CC info secure.

Like others have said, go replace or fix it at Apple or an Apple Authorized Repair facility. Seeing that they didn't replace a SS with a sapphire glass or the OLED thats laminated on that, the watch must be failing a security check or something

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Correct, they never made a stainless steel Series one, it was only offered in aluminum for the Series one. The first generation Apple Watch (Series 0) was offered in stainless and aluminum.

10. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If you have a Series 1 (2016), the NFC chip is located on the display.

When you replace the display, the NFC data need to be cleared. You will need to delete the Apple Pay data and enter it manually again. You cannot use restore.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I've never had good results using third party repairs for any Apple device.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Because they don’t use always OEM specification parts and they are not trained directly from Apple either. Those are the two reasons why most third-party repair shops are not preferred.