Apple Watch SS scratch on screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by robertpatryk, Nov 23, 2016.

1. robertpatryk macrumors member

Hi,

how is it possible, that I have a scratch on my Apple Watch SS version? I don't really have any diamonds around me, so how? I'm calling Apple tomorrow, but what will they say? Did you have such an issue with the sapphire screen? :(

Attached Files:

2. AGamble macrumors regular

3. robertpatryk thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately that is not available in my country.

4. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

Unfortunately sapphire might be scratch resistant, but is not scratch proof. Good luck with calling Apple, hopefully they will resolve it in your favor.

5. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I had read somewhere that pure sapphire isn't used on an AW, a few proved it by using certified instruments to scratch an AW when it shouldn't scratch. I think Apple even responded to that video.

6. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Actually, that video was regarding the Sapphire cover of the dual camera lenses on the iPhone 7 Plus. The scratch in this case, is most likely in the oleophobic coating and not the Sapphire, itself - at least, that's what I've seen claimed elsewhere on these forums.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Even if he got apple care, he would have to pay the fee for the repair right? Apple wont fix it for free right?

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is the first post I have seen with a scratch on the Saphirre display. Saphirre is the second hardest material next to diamond. That said, how do you think you scratched it?

9. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the correction on that. Would not be happy paying that much extra for scratch protection and still getting a scratch.

10. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

I could be another material left on the screen, rather than a scratch in the sapphire itself. So when something rubbed against it, say a painted door knob, paint is left on the screen. Have you tried buffing it out?

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I had a drunk friend who fell against a stucco/brick wall and it scratched his screen way more than yours. So it takes less than diamonds to scratch the screen.

12. ZipZap macrumors 603

I have owned sapphire crystal watches for years. Never a scratch. Apple uses a low grade sapphire and also coats it. Not the same in my book.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Looks like a scratch in the oleophobic coating rather than the glass itself.

It will probably buff out with something like Polywatch if apple won't fix it.

14. robertpatryk thread starter macrumors member

Last year I had the Sport version, this taught me to be carefull, while wearing the Watch. And still despite buying a SS version I'm really carefull not to bang my wrist agains bricks, metal, walls etc., so I have no idea how this came up. I've contacted Apple support recently, they told me to send few pictures of the scratch and now I'm waiting for any answer since Friday...

15. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Prepare to get crucified for this comment. I fell last April and scratched the hell out of my SS screen. I had to send it off to be replaced. And total strangers on the internet found it within themselves to tell me that I must have fallen on diamonds, or that I didn't know what really happened.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Your friend was Hung over the following day and to find out they scratched the Saphirre display, shapes up to be a very bad day.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Oh yes, I am sure that will just buff out!:rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2016 ---
    Just loyal Apple fans protecting their purchase.

18. robertpatryk thread starter macrumors member

Okay guys,

I've just received an information from Apple:

it's a cosmetic damage, so it won't be covered by warranty.

:(

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

Not surprised. If it was scratched, you had to have bumped into something. Yes, sapphire is hard to scratch, but it's not impossible. You bash something hard enough into it it will scratch! Even something softer than Sapphire can scratch Sapphire if slammed into it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2016 ---
    Lol fell on diamonds. :D

Again, you bash something hard enough it will scratch. Diamonds or no diamonds!

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's unfortunate. The situation could have been worse though.

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Cheers for the sarcastic response, I *was* actually trying to help you.

The scratch is most likely in the coating, not the glass. Stuff like polywatch will remove the coating, and thus remove the scratch.

22. robertpatryk thread starter macrumors member

Well, I hope so!

23. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

What happens to the Watch face after the coating is removed? Will it be easier to scratch again? Will you be able to tell where the coating was removed?

I am asking because I just bought a SS model and it may happen to me one day.

24. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

This may not apply to the OPs case, but recently my sport model bumped into a white metal fan and had what looked like several small scratches on it. I started wiping at them and it turned out to be some of the paint from the fan.

25. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I did it to remove a tiny scratch on my (sports) watch - the only time I even notice is if the watch gets wet, water doesn't "repel" from the area with no coating like it does from the rest of the screen.

In theory, that little area will technically show fingerprints more - in reality, the damn thing is always covered in fingerprints anyway.

It's not a "fix all" solution, and won't work in all situations, but if the scratch is only in the coating it should get rid of it. It shouldn't affect the scratchability of the screen as the glass is unchanged.