Apple Watch stuck in boot loop!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by smithandrew1993, Apr 30, 2015.

1. smithandrew1993 macrumors newbie

Went to turn on my apple watch this morning and it got stuck in a boot loop. I had to hard restart it and re-pair it like it was a new watch. Anyone else had this problem?

2. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Why did you feel the need to turn it off in the first place? (Assuming this isn't the first time you have turned it on)

3. smithandrew1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

I turn it off every night. I get two full days of battery out of it that way

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

You really should just leave it on and charge overnight. The watch has been designed for this and there is zero risk of overcharging the battery. Because this is 1.0 software you run the risk of exactly this when you turn it off and on constantly.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

So I assume you have charged it overnight in sleep mode then used it as you normally would the next day and only got the standard 15-18 hour battery life?

6. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

This confuses me... The amount of battery life is based on the amount of charge it has when it leaves the charger. If it is at 100% why would it matter if it had been on or off overnight? How would that add time?

----------

As to your actual issue, definitely call apple...

7. Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

Well that's a new one.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

What is so difficult to understand?

If he turns it off overnight, he can get two full days worth of battery life. If he doesn't, he has to charge it overnight (because being on standby still uses a considerable amount of battery).

Why he wants to not charge it isn't of concern. Ultimately, you should be able to turn a product off without it breaking.

9. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Obviously he should, but the watch (like the phones) are not expected to to be turned on and off much, so i expect there are edge cases in those code paths that haven't been fleshed out in V1.

But the "why" question does matter... If he is doing this senselessly it would be best to make that clear so it can be avoided in the future (and others reading this avoid it). The only way his experience could be true is if a night's charge (while the watch is still on) is insufficient to charge it to 100%... Which would indicate a battery fault anyway.

10. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Okay… LOL I think I get it. I thought he was saying that he turns it off, charges it, and then when he turns it on in the morning the resulting charge lasts 48 hours straight.

But he is saying that he charges it once then runs it down to 50% on the first day, turns it off and doesn't charge it, and it starts the second day at 50% and runs it down to 0%.

Okay I still don't get it ( seems just as fast plug it in ), but I guess to each his own. In any event call Apple.

11. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Lol... I think you're overthinking it:) He charges the watch to 100% and wears it for a day, then he turns it off and doesn't charge it and goes to sleep. In the morning he wakes up and turns it on and uses it for a second day. Then he'll charge it again that night.

12. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I don't get the reason for turning it off either. Put it on the charger at night and just leave it. That's how it was designed. Turning it off at night and not charging can't possibly help battery life.

13. smithandrew1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clarify, I charge it overnight (while switched on), wear it for the day, come home and it still has 50-65% battery, turn it off over night and turn it on in the morning and get another full day from one charge. No point in wasting energy. I've had it on all day now and still have 77% battery remaining at 18:17 which is excellent.

Either way, this isn't the point. Has anyone experienced the bug? And under what circumstances did it occur?

14. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I know this isn't the point of your post, but I don't see where energy is wasted if you charge it every night. It just uses enough power to bring it to 100% and then keeps it there. Any additional energy used by leaving the watch on overnight is negligible. Depending on how I use the watch, I can often get the battery down quite low by the end of one day, so I think you're going to find that doing things this way will sooner or later leave you with a dead watch before the day is done.

It's definitely not a normal thing, and not something I've heard of. But the thing is that most people don't ever turn their watches off, so if that's what has to be done to trigger it, then few people will have experienced it.