Apple Watch Support for Key Fobs

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ipedro, Jun 9, 2018.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

watchOS makes AppleWatch's NFC chip compatible with Student ID Cards.

[​IMG]

I really hope that this gets expanded to general RFID tags like condo or office access fobs.

I can see the security issue with allowing AppleWatch to copy fobs. So instead, Apple could act as a fob in itself. AppleWatch would only have to make itself available as a unique ID number and access managers in your building would be able to tap your watch on their terminal and then give that number appropriate permissions/access like any other fob.

I stopped carrying keys after converting my condo locks to August smart locks but I still have to carry the fob to gain access to the building. This isn't a high level task and can be easily solved.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I don’t think car manufactures will allow it.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I believe the ONLY car right now with RDIF or BT is Tesla M3. Car Fobs use a radio at 315MHz (not in the Watch). Don't think the OP was talking about cars anyway.

4. Ivanovitchk macrumors regular

Ivanovitchk

Far from only tesla, RFID/NFC, BT/BLE are standard on a shitton of cars for quite a few years now. Be it in the keyfob or in the car itself. Also 315M is far from the only frequency used for the so called RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) function. Plus there is LF (100kHz range) for the Passive Entry / Passive Start pings, key localization, anti relay attack, etc...

5. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I HATE keyless cars. When I get stuck with them as rentals they make my (and my dog's) life miserable.

The last two times I bought a new car I had to go to the bottom package level to get an actual key. Even then, my most recent car I had to hack the ECU to turn off the damn NFC detecting module in the driver's door.

There is way too much BS electronic crap in cars these days, money wasted when it could have been utilized in tires and suspension and brakes. Don't even get me started on the horror of electric steering that is killing people, and causing the uptick in highway deaths.

Self driving cars are definitely coming. The majority today would rather play with electronic toys than actually freaking drive.

6. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Some cars can be unlocked and started via watch, seems a natural next step.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

So, what’s the relation to any of this and the OP’s thread regarding Apple Watch supporting key fobs? Seems your own tangents Derailed the Actual thread topic over nothing.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2018 ---
    The Bentley Bentayga actually had WatchOS Support where it could Control the functionality of the heating, ventilation and massaging seats.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/05/bentley-apple-watch-app-controls-passengers-wrist/amp/

8. kjmff5 macrumors regular

What’s the process, let’s say if Apple goes for this, to get the watch to become a “key fob”?

9. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Yeah it’s been like this for a while. Came standard with my 2015 Prius.

10. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Why do you dislike keyless cars?

11. inkahauts macrumors regular

inkahauts

Yeah love to know how the convince makes his life miserable? And his dogs???

12. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

A key fob is nothing but a dumb number transmitter. When you touch your fob to the pad, it powers the fob which uses that power to transmit the number which the pad captures then checks to see if that number has permission to unlock that door.

An iPhone would only have to emulate this by transmitting a number when receiving an RFID power signal from a fob pad. That’s it.

You simply take your phone to the security desk, ask them to validate your phone as a fob, they’d touch your phone to a pad, receive the number then grant that number access.

13. troy14 macrumors 6502a

You have to touch the door handle to open up your car no matter what how does not having to use the fob to unlock make it harder or annoying?! That makes no sense to me...

I also don’t know what you mean by way too much electronic crap?! My car is absolutely loaded with crazy amounts of tech and it’s awesome. Automatic high beams? Adaptive cruise control? Lane keeping assist? Heated/cooled seats / steering wheel? The list goes on and on and every feature I use the crap out of and it makes everything safe and better.

The keyless entry/start really baffles me though on how one thinks that can be a hassle?

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would never own another car that uses a key to start it. The keyless system is far to convenient, I love all the "BS electronic crap"!

15. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

So you're the one person left in America that Ford is making car keys for ?

16. Ivanovitchk macrumors regular

Ivanovitchk

10 years ago, yes.

Nowadays keyfobs do an uber shitton of things. Speaking way more than 10k lines of code in them. They do amongst other, multiple channel rssi measurements, time of flight measurements, anti relay attack strategy enforcement, blacklistings & anti tamper mechanisms, accelerometer handling, ultra-granular battery management and sleep modes, environmental condition monitoring, advanced diagnostics modes, multi layered symetric & asymetric encryption schemes, secure enclave management, etc...

keys cannot be emulated by phones with something as simple as code TX/RX. The phone as a key function takes the form of extensive and complex SDKs given to car Mfg. to embed in their own smartphone apps. Those SDKs replicate a good bit of the functions present on fobs but are still far from the technology freedom that comes with the use of custom radios & hardware present in fobs.