Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Thought I'd share a little usage experience I had last weekend.

I took a field trip for a class to Sapelo Island off the coast of Georgia. It's a remote place only with a few visitors, not your typical touristy beach. Anyway, we were doing some class stuff to learn about some things and get practical experience.

I wore my watch the whole time using my blue leather loop instead of the white sport band I got originally with it. I honestly haven't put the sport band back on since I got the blue leather one. It fits so much better and doesn't get quite as hot.

Despite doing some hole digging, picking up some shells, taking photographs, getting down in the dry sand to look at some stuff in our holes, can't find a single blemish on the watch. After whacking my watch again tonight against something at work it still takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the durability of the Watch model. I'm guessing I would've murdered a Sport version by now.

The great thing was tracking my steps and activity. We took a night walk the previous night and so I got all those rings filled from walking so damn far. I had never gotten 48 exercise minutes before. I almost had two of my rings filled by 1 a.m., so damn. It felt good to see a record of all that instead of just knowing I walked a damn long way.

The only drawback I had was my battery died at noon on our day we spent mostly out on the beach and near a relict marsh. I'm guessing it had to do with the watch automatically turning on when you make the motion to move your wrist up. I didn't have my charging cable in the field so I couldn't use my awesome 10,000 mA battery pack to charge it. I used that thing to keep my phone powered since I used it for photos and video. But the watch just had to die for a few hours. The next day I turned that function off and the watch lasted much longer and almost as long as normal.

I also liked having access to a quick heartbeat check to make sure I wasn't going to pass out or whatnot if it got too strenuous. Some extra sensors on future models might help on that as well. But overall I loved having it. I didn't get a chance to compare it to a friend who had one of the latest Fitbits, but I know I was glad to have this little watch despite my awesome watch tan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.