ncsmith4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I’ve got the Series 3 and when I stray far from my phone, I get the X on the top of the watch and it seems to take forever to switch to cellular. Anyone else? Shouldn’t this be like... quick and automatic? I feel like I’m checking control Center to make sure it switched. I shouldn’t have to worry.

tman1425

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Mine does the same. I just turn airplane mode on and then off. It will usually connect to cellular pretty quick after that. Not sure why it takes so long though. It should be much more seamless.

Reactions: DotCom2

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
It is seamless, as in you don't have to anything and it will automatically "eventually" connect to cellular. I see the same behavior daily. Initially I used the Airplane mode toggle to make it switch to cellular quicker.

After a couple of days I determined that I could live without connectivity for the short time it took for the watch to confirm that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi were gone and fire up the LTE modem.

My personal opinion is that this behavior is Apple's working as designed to allow the watch to conserve battery. The watch really does not want to turn on the LTE modem. I was grateful that they added the Wi-Fi Toggle to the watch Control panel in watchOS 4.1 so I could force my watch to give up on a very weak Wi-Fi signal and move on to a great LTE signal.

Dave

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Maybe it’s “as intended” but it needs to work quicker.
I agree that it takes too long to notice Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are not available and fire up the LTE radio quicker. I would expect an improvement to address this less than desiderata behavior. Just like adding the Wi-FI SSID information in the Control panel and the Wi-Fi toggle in the Control center to manage the Wi-Fi radio.

Just for completeness, I wish they would a Bluetooth Toggle in the Control panel to allow more control. They trust us to use these features on the iPhone, why not trust us to manage the granular control of the various radios on our own.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.