Apple Watch Threat??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brett1203, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

So do you all see when Android releases Android Wear 5.1 this summer with the new feature of iOS compatibility that this will hurt Apple Watch sales? This is all assuming of course that Apple even allows the Android Wear app onto the app store, which to me I would be shocked if Apple approves it due to the risk of sales being lost to the Android watches out there.

The Moto360 and the LG watches are pretty sweet. I gave a lot of thought of holding off on the Apple Watch because of this but went with the Apple Watch :)

2. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't like the 360. In renderings way before release I liked it a lot, but once I saw it on people's arms, and then in real life, I thought it was enormous. The LG looks a little nicer, but I don't think they'll be useful enough to use with iOS.

3. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

The Apple Watch still has more features and that I do not think can be disputed, but the various options out there when it comes to the Android Watches is decent, with many different styles and most are priced below the 42mm Sport.

4. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

I think if anything, a little competition is good.

It'll force Apple to continue to be innovative with the watch - and open up the API's to the developers (otherwise Android apps will have greater functionality).

5. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Very good point, I read yesterday how Apple will not allow any 3rd party watch faces due to they then can not guarantee the time accuracy of the time that Apple advertises, but I hope Apple then comes out with more faces, so we can keep our watches fresh.

6. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Agreed! I'd love to see "skins" :) Yeah...I know...I can dream. :) That's not Apple's way to give that much to the Dev's. *sigh*

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Apple isn't stopping 3rd Part Watch faces because they can't tell the time acurately. They are stopping them because they don't want to watch to be ugly.

Sure they should leave it up to the customer to decide what is beautiful, but that's not the Apple way, and if you look at 3rd Party Android Wear watch faces, 80% are hideous.

Apple will definately introduce new watch faces though, perhaps in partnerships with other companies, and maybe one day change their stance on 3rd Party watch faces completely.

As for Android Wear coming to iOS, that's great, competition is always good. However, iOS isn't particularly open to these things, Pebble has always been crippled on iOS due to Apple's limitations. Of course Apple opens up more API's each and every year, so these limitations may go away.

However, a phone by one manufacturer and a watch by a different manufacturer are never going to be as cohesive as one company controlling both.

Exciting times ahead though :)

8. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203