Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harshw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
I used the Apple trade-in link to trade my Apple Watch 3 (it's 7 months old and in pristine condition) when I got the Apple Watch 4. The link states Apple will pay up to $225 for a AW3 - but on reading further, I see this is done via a 3rd party - the order page states the 3rd party is shipping out the trade-in kit

Anyone have any experience with this? Is this 3rd party reliable?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I used the Apple trade-in link to trade my Apple Watch 3 (it's 7 months old and in pristine condition) when I got the Apple Watch 4. The link states Apple will pay up to $225 for a AW3 - but on reading further, I see this is done via a 3rd party - the order page states the 3rd party is shipping out the trade-in kit

Apple uses Brightstar for Apple Watch Trade In’s. They are a third party affiliate that does not work directly with Apple. I have personally not used them as a service, others have and had negative experiences with sending their devices in. There is at least 3/4 the threads similar to your thread, with some sharing their experiences, both good and bad. It’s really at your own risk, make sure you take pictures of your Apple at all angles and of the Watch Powered on for documentation.

harshw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
The trade-in kit I got was from Phobio and not BrightStar. I read some reviews online for Phobio and wasn't too impressed with them either. In any case, I walked into the Apple Store and did the trade-in - they gave me $225 on an Apple Store gift card and didn't want the charger or the wristbands. Hopefully the new iPad Pro comes out soon so I can use that gift card ...

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
The trade-in kit I got was from Phobio and not BrightStar. I read some reviews online for Phobio and wasn't too impressed with them either. In any case, I walked into the Apple Store and did the trade-in - they gave me $225 on an Apple Store gift card and didn't want the charger or the wristbands. Hopefully the new iPad Pro comes out soon so I can use that gift card ...

They don’t give you a gift card. And they were very reliable. Once I mailed my trade in to them, they got it in about two days, inspected in two days, got the final confirmation last friday and then I got my refund processed Monday morning. No issues there.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I just did it in-store as a walk-in. They were able to refund directly to the credit card I’d bought my new watch with earlier that day.

2-3 days later my visa account showed a refund.

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
i used it and just had my refund of $225 applied to my credit card. I also took ample pictures and video of the watch before I sent it in just in case they pulled any shenanigans.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I just did it in-store as a walk-in. They were able to refund directly to the credit card I’d bought my new watch with earlier that day.

2-3 days later my visa account showed a refund.

That was our experience (x2). Great service and a decent price, when you consider the bands and charger as extra/retained value.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I did it on the Apple Store app, and Phobio sent me a box. It took a couple of weeks, but I got my $250. It was worth it.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL

Apple is now using Phobio for Watch, as you know.

I just sent 3 in for trade in. A week after they received them I got 3 refund notices from Apple in the full amount.

I took photos of my watches front and back, and powered on showing the serial number on the screen just in case, but I didn't need to use them.

The Phobio booklet says to return the bands, but that is incorrect.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
Apple is now using Phobio for Watch, as you know.

I just sent 3 in for trade in. A week after they received them I got 3 refund notices from Apple in the full amount.

I took photos of my watches front and back, and powered on showing the serial number on the screen just in case, but I didn't need to use them.

The Phobio booklet says to return the bands, but that is incorrect.

Same, I had a good experience too. My refund came within a few days and was quoted the correct amount. I had a bad experience with Brightstar but so far I like Phobio better.

Jason Hensley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2018

I used them for my S3 and just got my $225 gift card in. They're legit.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I did the online order trade-in thing this week for the a series 3 to a series 4, and my trade-in kit should be here next Wed. The more I think about it, though, the more I think I'm just going to ditch the kit when it arrives and just keep my series 3 too.

iLoveYosemite

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
I posted this on another thread by mistake, so reposting here:

I ordered a 44mm silver aluminum S4 on launch day and opted to trade in my S3 for $175. When I got my S4, I mailed the S3 back. Before my 14-day return window closed, I decided I really wanted the space gray, so I started the return process, which also cancelled my trade in. I was able to order the space gray on 10/6 and the estimated trade in for my S3 was still $175. My S3 was returned to me today, so I went into the Apple Store to return my S4, hoping that they'd have a space gray S4 in 44mm, but they didn't. I asked and the estimated trade in for my S3 has now dropped to $150!

On the new order for my space gray S4, my estimated trade in for the S3 still shows $175, but my S4 isn't scheduled for delivery until Nov 5-12. I'm just wondering if the delay in receiving the new S4 will change the trade
in value of the S3 since it has decreased after I placed my order? Has anybody had experience with this? I'm still considering trading it in at the Apple Store if I can find the S4 I want in stock even though the trade in is now $25 lower.

On a side note, when my S3 came back from Phobio today, it clearly had a small dent in it that was NOT there when I mailed it to them. I don't think it's noticeable enough to affect the trade in value, but I was not happy about that! I really should have taken photos of it before I sent it in, as some of you mentioned doing above, because now I have no proof that it was in pristine condition when I mailed it in. I can't see it when I'm looking directly down at the watch, but it sure shows up on a zoomed-in photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    816.7 KB · Views: 233
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.