Apple Watch Turns Itself Off

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aml216, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I noticed yesterday that my Apple Watch Series 1 turned itself off. Initially, I thought my watch had died completely or broken somehow (thankfully not). I turned the watch back on, and it reported 64% battery which is what I would have expected since the last I checked it was in the mid 60's. So low battery is not the issue here. Also for some context, I was simply sitting and reading a book, not doing anything that would have caused the watch to shut off.
    Has anyone had this happen?
    iOS 10.0.2, WatchOS 3.0

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

OS crash? Mine has crashed several times since OS3, with different symptoms during the crash.

3. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

What symptoms are these? I've never experienced anything like this.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Well, one time was a total crash and reboot. Another time it would not respond to either side button. I pushed them repeatedly. Then, it suddenly responded to all of the button pushes in rapid succession, followed by a crash/reboot. And, another was just a mysterious turn-off, like yours. Prior to wOS3, my watch probably only crashed two or three times since last year.

5. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

First time this has happened to me between WatchOS1,2,3. I just hope this doesn't become a regular thing.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Mine did the semi-crash thing again today. The crown button stopped bringing up the app screen. And the other button would not bring up the dock. I had to hold buttons a long time to turn it off. It was fine after reboot. Methinks wOS 3 has issues.

7. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

My watch has turned off a couple of times recently during workouts. I've also had low battery warnings as well, though when I set the watch on the charger the battery percentage instantly jumps up to about 75%. I may try reseting the watch to see if that helps. Most of these issues have been since watchOS 3 was released.

8. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Same thing happened on my Series 0. I just turned it back on and haven't had an issue since.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Same thing happened with my Series 0 and my GF's Series 0. Turns out that we inadvertently enabled low-power mode. watchOS 3 has made the screen a lot more sensitive, and this has happened quite a few times now.

10. ifarlow macrumors regular

ifarlow

So yeah, looked down and noticed that my watch was not responding to me lifting my arm and turning my wrist. Nothing but a blank screen. Hm... Got the watch to restart, and after a minute or so of showing the Apple logo (which flickered a few times), the watch came back to life. Nothing appeared amiss, as in my health data was intact and the battery level was where I expected it to be.

Then I got an alert on my iOS devices that "Your phone number is now being used for FaceTime on a new Apple Watch." Um, no. I don't have a new Apple Watch.

I guess my watch crashed. The question now is what might have been reset as a result considering that my iOS devices think I have a new watch?

Apple Watch Series 2 space grey running watchOS 3.1.

11. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Since new 3.1 os my watch has. Reset itself, powered itself down and given me a flash status bug type 176.
    All over a period of weeks.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Which Watch are you using? Gen 1 or Series 1/2?

13. Teride macrumors regular

Teride

My Series 2 SS has done this a few times while initiating a workout & this morning when responding to a text message. I hope this gets fixed it's annoying. Has anyone checked the Apple forums and/or reported this issue to Apple?

14. Ffosse macrumors 65816

I've had one crash in a year, on series 0. Apple Watch 2 has been faultless so far.

15. hog_hedge macrumors newbie

hog_hedge

Mine turned itself off for no apparent reason today. I just switched it back on and I still had 96% battery left.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Interesting. I have never had any of my Apple Watches crash. Wonder what would cause this.

17. pattarasai macrumors newbie

pattarasai

Me too! My ss2 nike+ has a same problem. It's battery was dropped suddenly from 27 to 6 percent and noticed low power alert.
    Thus, I decided to turn it off because I thought that battery was really low. However, I turned it on again after that but it's battery came back to 27 percent ridiculously.
    I returned it already as I was in 14-days returnable period. Now I'm wating for my new watch and I hope this problem would not occur with it again!!

18. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

Mine just did the same, been wearing it for about 6 hours and it's barely at 97% and I check the time and my watch is completely off. Happened yesterday too. Debating resetting everything again.

19. hog_hedge macrumors newbie

hog_hedge

My watch hasn't done it since. It has restarted a couple of times on its own but never turned off completely apart from that one time.

20. Birddog1 macrumors member

Birddog1

Mine did it once earlier this past week, it hasn't happened since and I also had plenty of battery left

21. angelofioren macrumors member

angelofioren

I had this happen to my new Series 3 watch I got a few days ago. This happened with my Series 0 watch a few times in the first year I had it, but then it didn't happen since. Hopefully it's just a software issue because it does seem to be a semi-common thing.