Apple Watch Turns Itself Off

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I noticed yesterday that my Apple Watch Series 1 turned itself off. Initially, I thought my watch had died completely or broken somehow (thankfully not). I turned the watch back on, and it reported 64% battery which is what I would have expected since the last I checked it was in the mid 60's. So low battery is not the issue here. Also for some context, I was simply sitting and reading a book, not doing anything that would have caused the watch to shut off.
Has anyone had this happen?
iOS 10.0.2, WatchOS 3.0

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
OS crash? Mine has crashed several times since OS3, with different symptoms during the crash.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Well, one time was a total crash and reboot. Another time it would not respond to either side button. I pushed them repeatedly. Then, it suddenly responded to all of the button pushes in rapid succession, followed by a crash/reboot. And, another was just a mysterious turn-off, like yours. Prior to wOS3, my watch probably only crashed two or three times since last year.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Mine did the semi-crash thing again today. The crown button stopped bringing up the app screen. And the other button would not bring up the dock. I had to hold buttons a long time to turn it off. It was fine after reboot. Methinks wOS 3 has issues.

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
My watch has turned off a couple of times recently during workouts. I've also had low battery warnings as well, though when I set the watch on the charger the battery percentage instantly jumps up to about 75%. I may try reseting the watch to see if that helps. Most of these issues have been since watchOS 3 was released.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Same thing happened on my Series 0. I just turned it back on and haven't had an issue since.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Same thing happened with my Series 0 and my GF's Series 0. Turns out that we inadvertently enabled low-power mode. watchOS 3 has made the screen a lot more sensitive, and this has happened quite a few times now.

ifarlow

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
So yeah, looked down and noticed that my watch was not responding to me lifting my arm and turning my wrist. Nothing but a blank screen. Hm... Got the watch to restart, and after a minute or so of showing the Apple logo (which flickered a few times), the watch came back to life. Nothing appeared amiss, as in my health data was intact and the battery level was where I expected it to be.

Then I got an alert on my iOS devices that "Your phone number is now being used for FaceTime on a new Apple Watch." Um, no. I don't have a new Apple Watch.

I guess my watch crashed. The question now is what might have been reset as a result considering that my iOS devices think I have a new watch?

Apple Watch Series 2 space grey running watchOS 3.1.

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
Since new 3.1 os my watch has. Reset itself, powered itself down and given me a flash status bug type 176.
All over a period of weeks.

Teride

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
My Series 2 SS has done this a few times while initiating a workout & this morning when responding to a text message. I hope this gets fixed it's annoying. Has anyone checked the Apple forums and/or reported this issue to Apple?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I've had one crash in a year, on series 0. Apple Watch 2 has been faultless so far.

pattarasai

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Me too! My ss2 nike+ has a same problem. It's battery was dropped suddenly from 27 to 6 percent and noticed low power alert.
Thus, I decided to turn it off because I thought that battery was really low. However, I turned it on again after that but it's battery came back to 27 percent ridiculously.
I returned it already as I was in 14-days returnable period. Now I'm wating for my new watch and I hope this problem would not occur with it again!!

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
Mine turned itself off for no apparent reason today. I just switched it back on and I still had 96% battery left.
Mine just did the same, been wearing it for about 6 hours and it's barely at 97% and I check the time and my watch is completely off. Happened yesterday too. Debating resetting everything again.

hog_hedge

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
England
My watch hasn't done it since. It has restarted a couple of times on its own but never turned off completely apart from that one time.

Birddog1

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Ohio
Mine did it once earlier this past week, it hasn't happened since and I also had plenty of battery left

angelofioren

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2015
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, QC
I had this happen to my new Series 3 watch I got a few days ago. This happened with my Series 0 watch a few times in the first year I had it, but then it didn't happen since. Hopefully it's just a software issue because it does seem to be a semi-common thing.