Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the Apple Watch Ultra 2 is advertised with up to 72 hours of battery life in Low Power Mode, compared to 60 hours for the original Ultra model, there is a catch.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-2-hero-230912.jpg

According to fine print on Apple's website, the testing parameters for the Ultra 2 in Low Power Mode were different than those for the original Ultra.

The fine print for the original Apple Watch Ultra said:
Multi-day adventure battery life is based on the following use while in Low Power Mode and with workout settings enabled for fewer GPS and heart rate readings: 15 hours of hiking workout, over 600 time checks, 35 minutes of app use, 3 minutes of talk, and 15 hours of sleep tracking, over the course of 60 hours.
The fine print for the Apple Watch Ultra 2 says:
Battery life in Low Power Mode is based on the following use: 360 time checks, 360 notifications, 180 minutes of app use, and two 60-minute workouts with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 72 hours.
Given these very different testing parameters, customers should keep in mind that the Ultra 2 does not simply offer 12 hours more battery life than the original Ultra in Low Power Mode, which is something that could be easily misconstrued.

It's possible the original Ultra would also get around 72 hours of battery life in Low Power Mode based on the new testing parameters, but this is not proven yet.

We've reached out to Apple with a request for comment, and we'll update this story if the company provides a response.

Article Link: Apple Watch Ultra 2 Advertised With 72-Hour Battery Life in Low Power Mode, But There's a Catch

Last edited:

coolaaron88

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada

While the Apple Watch Ultra 2 is advertised with up to 72 hours of battery life in Low Power Mode, compared to 60 hours for the original Ultra model, there is a catch.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-2-hero-230912.jpg

According to fine print on Apple's website, the testing parameters for the Ultra 2 in Low Power Mode were different than those for the original Ultra.

The fine print for the original Apple Watch Ultra said:The fine print for the Apple Watch Ultra 2 says:Given these very different testing parameters, customers should keep in mind that the Ultra 2 does not simply offer 12 hours more battery life than the original Ultra in Low Power Mode, which is something that could be easily misconstrued.

It's possible the original Ultra would also get around 72 hours of battery life in Low Power Mode based on the new testing parameters, but this is not proven yet.

We've reached out to Apple for request for comment, and we'll update this story if the company provides a response.

Article Link: Apple Watch Ultra 2 Advertised With 72-Hour Battery Life in Low Power Mode, But There's a Catch
Itll be misconstrued lol

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I wonder if Apple looked at the metrics of how the Ultra was being used and revised their estimates accordingly.

I think that's it, Apple is not known for artificially inflate testing metrics and their battery estimates are usually accurate, they might hype features and marketing but battery estimates are usually on point.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If your checking the time 22 times per hour you need to find a better job. :rolleyes:
I might obsessively check the time pretty frequently when I'm catching a train or something. Ten times an hour? Fifteen? I have no idea. It's sort of an ambient thing with a boring old quartz watch that knows not one bit how often I absentmindedly look at it -- as much a time security blanket as anything else.

But after four decades of having one, I feel like if I had an Apple Watch I'd find myself kind of weirded out by the blank screen and probably checking it more often than necessary just out of mystery. Does Apple Watch have an hourly chime or vibration or something? That could be useful.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
The fine print for the original Apple Watch Ultra said:
Multi-day adventure battery life is based on the following use while in Low Power Mode and with workout settings enabled for fewer GPS and heart rate readings: 15 hours of hiking workout, over 600 time checks, 35 minutes of app use, 3 minutes of talk, and 15 hours of sleep tracking, over the course of 60 hours.
Alright, who does 15 hours of hiking workout over the course of 60 hours? That doesn't seem like real-world usage to me for your average Apple Watch owner.

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
As an Apple Watch Ultra (1) user, I can confirm it’s possible to get 72 hours of use. I usually get 48-60 hours of use with normal use, and if I take a few power-saving precautions, can easily last a whole 3-day weekend.
I have been needing to charge every 3rd night, and even then it's usually just under 30% triggering the "charge before bed" message. I don't have cellular enabled and haven't been actively tracking workouts with it, AOD off, but no other low power mode options enabled.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Not an Apple Watch user but I'm cheap, have a$30 Walmart Wyze watch and it does the time and custom faces and view notifications and the ability to reject phone calls without breaking out the iPhone. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.