Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Was very excited about the Ultra 2 but having run with it 4 times now I notice that for between 20 to 50% of my runs I am not getting HR readings. This is important because 1. it should work and 2. I do training based on HR. This does not tend to happen with my Series 7 watch. (Also, and this is less important to me, but the altimeter is often way off. Yesterday until a restart I was living below sea level!). Anyone else seeing this issue with heart rate? I will search for a fix but I fear I will have to return it.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Was very excited about the Ultra 2 but having run with it 4 times now I notice that for between 20 to 50% of my runs I am not getting HR readings. This is important because 1. it should work and 2. I do training based on HR. This does not tend to happen with my Series 7 watch. (Also, and this is less important to me, but the altimeter is often way off. Yesterday until a restart I was living below sea level!). Anyone else seeing this issue with heart rate? I will search for a fix but I fear I will have to return it.
Mine has been accurate so far for the bike workouts I have done with it (compared to a Garmin chest strap monitor).

Reactions: Alhagar

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Mine has been accurate so far for the bike workouts I have done with it (compared to a Garmin chest strap monitor).
I can't speak to accuracy (since I only have the one device at a time) but for me the issue is consistency. I'm just not getting a reading at all for large stretches of time). I called Apple Support and was told to make sure there is a gap between my wrist bone and the watch. it is also true that I have the digital crown facing left (on my right wrist), so tomorrow I will try to wear the watch a bit further up on my arm and see if that makes a difference.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I can't speak to accuracy (since I only have the one device at a time) but for me the issue is consistency. I'm just not getting a reading at all for large stretches of time). I called Apple Support and was told to make sure there is a gap between my wrist bone and the watch. it is also true that I have the digital crown facing left (on my right wrist), so tomorrow I will try to wear the watch a bit further up on my arm and see if that makes a difference.
Have definitely not seen any issues with getting readings in the workouts I've done so far.

Reactions: Alhagar

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I get the occasional drop out on my S8 if the strap is too loose and/or if the watch is too far down my wrist towards my hand. Starting the heart monitor and letting it find my heart rate immediately before starting the exercise seems to help too.

Wrist tattoos can be another issue.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Just biked to work and there were no issues. Continuous HR reading. Maybe it is an issue of the arm motion of running and the heavier watch.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
I ended up returning the watch. I may be tempted again in November as I have a half marathon then and I don’t think my S7 will make it (though maybe if I turn cellular off it will).

Reactions: MARobinson

MARobinson

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Several times a day the heart monitor on my ultra 2 says “measuring” but shows only dashes where it should show the number. My ocean strap is not too tight or too loose; it is fastened in the same hole every time. I called Apple support but got no help. Has anyone had this problem but fixed it! Thanks.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland

If you're training by zones I suggest a chest strap for accurate readings. It's a must, for me anyway.

Reactions: webbuzz

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I had issues over the winter when it was colder and would experience frequent dropouts. Drove me crazy. I feel like the last update or two has fixed those issues, but it could be that fact that it's warmer too. I have brown skin so it's slightly more challenging (allegedly) but overall it has worked fine for me. Next winter, I will buy a chest or arm strap for winter training.

d3vp0ll

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022
NY
If you’re serious about HR training buy a chest strap, regardless of the watch type you’re wearing. Wrist based sensors just aren’t that accurate. My Series 4 would often either drop or just not take a reading at the start of a workout more frequently the older it got.

I see this reported frequently on the Ultra and my guess is it is too big for your wrist. It has to sit square on your wrist with enough surface area on both ends to fit snug without being too tight or loose. The sensor dome is also not as protruding as the standard Series watches which is why many say they work better for them.

Reactions: webbuzz

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
My Ultra 2 will lose HR for a minute or so, I just reposition on the wrist and all is well again. Does not happen often but it does happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.