Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPolo1106

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
So I bite down today and bought awu today, and I’m still deciding but so far impressive device but now I’m wondering are they planing to release an ultra every year or have a gap cycle like AirPods Pro or something because 800 is not cheap though I understand the reasons behind the price what have anyone heard or think about this?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I don’t think any one has a crystal ball to answer that question. I suspect that there won’t be a new version of the Ultra next year primarily because the current one is already a huge jump from the other models. Plus after 8 or 9 years of there being an Apple Watch I’m not sure what major improvements they can make. If anything there will probably be a new version of the Ultra in a couple of years time.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Sales seem to be healthy and Apple are encroaching a new market with the Ultra. I think that they will improve it with new sensors, reduced bezel and hopefully new colours. As it’s a chunkier watch, they have more room to play with hence better screen brightness and a bigger battery.
It may just be that they were testing the market for a bigger watch in general so we may yet see an enlarged standard Apple Watch with the improvements that I have mentioned…who knows lol

yepp

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2018
I would expect a new AWU every year. Rumors suggest new faster SiP for regular watch series 9.
AWU 2 would at least get that upgrade.

Reactions: sorgo †

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
Cost wise it is worth remembering a stainless steel series 8 can come in at very near the same price as an Ultra.

Reactions: AsherN

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I would be happy if they just brought back the Edition models but like others say, who knows.

We are sliding into a recession and not sure how much updating will occur if sales slow.

Reactions: satchmo

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
The Ultra is, far and away, the most significant upgrade in Apple’s watch lineup ever. Hands down, so to speak. Nothing even remotely compares to the S7 -> Ultra change

As such, you can bet your bottom dollar that the next version of the Ultra will be a trivial upgrade by comparison.

So, if the Ultra isn’t exciting enough for you to want because you want to wait for something even better a few years down the road … you’ll never stop waiting.

Two suggestions, then: get an Ultra and plan on wearing it until it dies, knowing it’s going to be an amazing watch that should still be going strong several years from now. Maybe if there’s a truly radical upgrade, or some minor upgrade that’s enormously significant to you (such as blood glucose monitoring if you suffer from diabetes), then get the upgrade; otherwise, just enjoy this truly glorious piece of technology. That’s the path I’m personally on.

The other option: budget $10 - $20 per week for a watch upgrade fund, and spend it every year or two on the latest-and-greatest.

(Your other option, of course, is to never buy any new technology. That’s a perfectly valid option, and it’s the one you’re implicitly choosing already. I’d just suggest being upfront with yourself if that’s the case so you can let go of some of the angst.)

b&

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Tim: “The SAT numbers were through the roof. But our users did have one request. So today, we’re launching the Apple Watch Ultra Mini.” 😄

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
The Ultra seems cool but also like a waste since I would probably notice little difference in day-to-day use (aside from maybe battery life) compared to my Series 6, which basically has the same chip. The thought of upgrading only to have a sequel next year with a faster chipset and Lord knows what else is annoying enough to make me hold off.

I’ll probably just end up getting a Series 9 though. :)

Bacasable

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2021
France
My guest is Apple can improve SIP, bigger screen small bezels, and new workout’s software.

But the ultra is the best of Apple, as the iPad Pro from iPad and AirPods Pro from AirPods.
The renewal will be in 1 year and half when they will already experiencing new 3nm chip on regular watch 9

OnlyHereSoIDontGetFined

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
Truthfully, they need to focus on the software first while improving battery life second. Maybe Apple will capture just enough of Garmin's market with the Ultra as is and they won't care, but if they REALLY want the "ultra" crowd they need to improve fitness analytics and keep all the data together. Also, HR every 3 mins and HRV only during mindfulness sessions or by turning on AFib is (every 15 mins)... not good. The non-ultra AWs hardly look different from the first, so I wouldn't expect any major changes with a v.2.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Apple typically 'sticks' with a design for 3-4 revisions so I don't suspect any physical exterior changes for the foreseeable future.

However, they could possibly make a smaller version of the same design.

Reactions: usmaak

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I got the Ultra, only thing that would make me consider upgrading at this point is more health senors.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
you can bet your bottom dollar that the next version of the Ultra will be a trivial upgrade by comparison.

Yeah, it will be an incremental update, which is always “less exciting“ than a completely new model. IMO the only reason to wait would be if you‘d really prefer a black Ultra (which I assume will be coming next year).

The thought of upgrading only to have a sequel next year with a faster chipset and Lord knows what else is annoying enough to make me hold off.

There was a lengthy discussion about this in another thread. The Ultra never feels slow - so why is a new chip important?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Don’t see the next Ultra coming out with new sensors. The temp sensor was pushing it as far as usefulness for many but it is all,they had ready. We are still a few years off from truly new useful sensors like blood pressure and glucose.

Reactions: Howard2k
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.