Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I understand about batteries degrading but it was great not having to charge it everyday. Now it will not completely last 2 days so now charging it everyday. It just sucks and now I am done venting lol.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Well my Ultra 2 I been charging everyday but I discovered that the dang optimized charging was turned on and the watch would not go past 80%. I wish that Apple would would not turn that on by default every update it is really annoying. Every update of watch os 10 has done that. They will not leave that setting alone I turn it off then after an update it is turned back on optimize charging. Leave the settings alone. Rant over

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Well my Ultra 2 I been charging everyday but I discovered that the dang optimized charging was turned on and the watch would not go past 80%. I wish that Apple would would not turn that on by default every update it is really annoying. Every update of watch os 10 has done that. They will not leave that setting alone I turn it off then after an update it is turned back on optimize charging. Leave the settings alone. Rant over
I turned off "optimized charge limit" in like Oct last year on my Ultra2 and it has stayed off. and always charges to 100%. I didn't think you can turn "optimized charging" off anymore

Reactions: delsoul

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I turned off "optimized charge limit" in like Oct last year on my Ultra2 and it has stayed off. and always charges to 100%. I didn't think you can turn "optimized charging" off anymore
It’s an option on the watch in the battery setting now after the recent OS update.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I just did turn off the optimized charging limit feature in settings on the watch. You just to find it in battery section of settings it is there

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Not for Ultra2 and I think S9, I think it is on with no option to change.
I think you have that option on older models
Looking at my AWU2 right now in the battery section and I have the option to turn optimize on or off.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Looking at my AWU2 right now in the battery section and I have the option to turn optimize on or off.
Not me
IMG_5816.jpeg

Reactions: StoneJack

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I understand about batteries degrading but it was great not having to charge it everyday. Now it will not completely last 2 days so now charging it everyday. It just sucks and now I am done venting lol.
Launch day AWU, and I can say the same. Barely a day and a half now. 91% health.

Reactions: xDKP

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Launch day one also battery down to 93. I find that if I am at work and I usually end up walking 3 to 5 miles a day just doing my job the battery drains pretty fast on those days . When I am at home just hanging and not doing much it will last longer.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Launch day AWU, and I can say the same. Barely a day and a half now. 91% health.
Same here - The WatchOS 10 took a pretty significant chunk of the overall battery for me. So yesterday 100% in the morning with an WatchOS update - and after a 10K run yesterday and a 16K today, it died around 4.30 pm - so barely over 24 hours.

I also had it next to my bed between 8am and 3pm while wearing a mechanical watch so didn't use it at all.

deadlock

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Optimised charging seems to have got a lot more agressive since the last update. Both me (U2) and my parther (S9) have been in the habit of doing a "top-up" before bed and wearing overnight, which allows us to get to charge to 100% before heading out in the morning. Pretty much every charge in the last week we've found the watches "paused" due to Optimised charging.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Mine is at 93% now. Bought it soon after launch. I still get through a day very easily, but it would probably barely make 2 whole days.

I’m a little worried about how long the battery will last as it gets nearer to 80%. I would be super annoyed if it got anywhere close to the normal Apple Watch battery life.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
AWU2 was charged to 80% at 2pm Friday. No use aside from checking the time every once in a while, already dropped down to 32% by 9pm Saturday. 31 hours and dropped nearly 50%. Not sure what Apple screwed up, again, but wish they’d quit with it already. Seriously on the verge of getting a non-Apple smartwatch because I can’t trust Apple to be reliable anymore. They ‘fix’ one thing while breaking another. Before the recent update, I would average about 1% loss per hour. Not even close anymore.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Does your watch have anything running in the background?

Also, as of the most recent update my series 9 drops about 1% every 90 minutes.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I don’t have anything at all running in the background. It’s really frustrating to be honest. I’ve tried powering off/on the watch and phone, etc. nothing’s helped.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
AWU2 was charged to 80% at 2pm Friday. No use aside from checking the time every once in a while, already dropped down to 32% by 9pm Saturday. 31 hours and dropped nearly 50%. Not sure what Apple screwed up, again, but wish they’d quit with it already. Seriously on the verge of getting a non-Apple smartwatch because I can’t trust Apple to be reliable anymore. They ‘fix’ one thing while breaking another. Before the recent update, I would average about 1% loss per hour. Not even close anymore.
I have U2 since launch, and my usage pattern is that I wear it for ~ 38-39hrs ~6am on day 1 til ~8-9pm day 2 so full 2 days for me and a workout each day of ~ 70-80 min. at the end of day 2 I charge it overnight to 100%, then the dame thing over again ...
My battery is somewhere in the low 40% range at the end of day 2, has been like that since launch. Compared to my Ultra1 that I had for 1 year: U1 was in the high 20%.

So call that 55-60% over 39 hrs - compared to your "31 hours and dropped nearly 50" seems pretty close to me.

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I bought my Ultra 1 launch day weekend. Checked my battery health this past Sunday and it's at 94% It seems like OS10 is a little more power hungry. It's went from a 60+ hour battery life to 48 hours. The only major change was updating to OS10, same watch faces and same complications as when using OS9.

bobby68

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
Ultra 2 here.

I charged every 3 days, but suddenly couple moths ago it could only hold charge for 2 days.

The new update 10.4 has turned it around, now it holds charge 3 days again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.