Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
My SO works in the Operating room daily and has managed to wreck the screens on a watch 4 and 6 within 6 months. During Covid, watch care wasn’t a priority. Screen protectors dont help. Lots of things to scuff them up on a daily basis. So I was looking at getting an Ultra due to the sapphire screen. It seems their damage has been mainly on the screen on prior watches, probably from lamps/beds/equipment and the housings have been pretty much sparred from damage.

my question is for those who have ultras, how the screens hold up to metal objects and scratches. I’m not talking impact damage, more so scuffing and scratching damage. the key is to have the watch last more than 2 years, especially at a $800 price point.

I am still using my 4 year old watch 5 with a mint condition screen, looking to upgrade for the blood oxy sensor myself But probably not the ultra due to wrist size.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
My SO works in the Operating room daily and has managed to wreck the screens on a watch 4 and 6 within 6 months. During Covid, watch care wasn’t a priority. Screen protectors dont help. Lots of things to scuff them up on a daily basis. So I was looking at getting an Ultra due to the sapphire screen. It seems their damage has been mainly on the screen on prior watches, probably from lamps/beds/equipment and the housings have been pretty much sparred from damage.

my question is for those who have ultras, how the screens hold up to metal objects and scratches. I’m not talking impact damage, more so scuffing and scratching damage. the key is to have the watch last more than 2 years, especially at a $800 price point.

I am still using my 4 year old watch 5 with a mint condition screen, looking to upgrade for the blood oxy sensor myself But probably not the ultra due to wrist size.
Not indestructible, scratches can happen to sapphire screens but mine is flawless.
my SBS4(sapphire screen) had a mini scratch barely noticable, my S7 Ti flawless. I smashed my S0 screen (ionx).
I’m rather rough with my watches.
I think there were a couple posts here who reported some very minor scratches…

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
You don't need to buy an Ultra to get the sapphire screen (sapphire crystal in watch parlance). The stainless steel version of the series watches have it too.

Despite taking care, my old aluminum series 5 with ion-X glass had a few scratches that were definitely noticeable in bright sunlight, my SS series 9 with sapphire is perfect. (albeit only six months old)

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
My pre-ordered first-version Ultra still has a flawless screen, despite regularly wearing it while gardening — including getting elbow-deep in the dirt pulling up Bermuda grass roots. And generally being a klutz around doorknobs and the like.

The titanium case, at normal viewing distances, is also in perfect condition. If you look very closely or with a magnifying glass, you can see a tiny nick here and there. Also, the very outer sharp edge of the bezel is now polished shiny, whereas it was the same matte finish when new. Worth noting is that the shine is uniform, so it doesn’t look like wear — it’s just a knife-edge highlight around the outside of the bezel.

But don’t take my word for it:

Short version: anybody whose Ultra sustains noteworthy damage while wearing it normally is going to wind up in your SO’s operating room, and leave it an amputee.

Cheers,

b&

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.