Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I haven’t seen ocean band in person, but it looks like it might be too stiff to thread it over the narrow bend and onto the other side of the clip.

If someone were truly worried about the Ocean band coming undone they could thread something else through the holes of the two band layers and tie it off, like twine or a twist-tie.
It's not about the band being too stiff. To hook that lug through two holes it would have to split into two pieces that snap back together. Otherwise you're left trying to twist the curve on the end of the lug through the hole.

A1000

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
UK
For sure, that has been the issue with some bands I have had, looks like the ocean band you could put the lug through 2 holes so the end won't pop out but I havn't tried one.
I have the Ocean band and it's not designed for the titanium strap loop to do that and I isn't possible. This is the first time that I have read instructions for a watch strap but it's a canny design. Once you have fed about 2 ridges through the titanium strap loop you can push the loop across and it latches into the next indent in the wave of the strap back. Firstly, this narrows the gap so the strap can't move and secondly by doing this the waves of the strap interlock so the strap can'r come undone.

Between these two mechanims it seems to hold like a limpet;)

Reactions: Dealmans

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I haven’t seen ocean band in person, but it looks like it might be too stiff to thread it over the narrow bend and onto the other side of the clip.

If someone were truly worried about the Ocean band coming undone they could thread something else through the holes of the two band layers and tie it off, like twine or a twist-tie.
lol not going to do that before every surf, defeats the purpose

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
36ae4be62c25803e9ce19d43bb1db2ee.jpg

9e16d7dc256029d8ab1ab35a278af3f1.jpg

2fbc1c64bf76ae21e1c33c939eb8b81d.jpg

Now I have all new and types however I'd recommend not buying the starlight alpine loop or you'll need to wash it regularly. I also can't understand how it can support mountain climbing activities.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
Now I have all new and types however I'd recommend not buying the starlight alpine loop or you'll need to wash it regularly. I also can't understand how it can support mountain climbing activities.
Yep, I have the Alpine Loop in Starlight. I love it but I have learned every time I shower I wear it and soap it up. Then wipe it down with a towel and away I go. It is a dirt magnet for sure. Trying to find a 3rd Party Black that is really the same length as Apples. I learned WKC and Apple seem to think 210mm is not the same. Now WKC says I need their XL. We will see once it arrives.
IMG_0155.jpeg

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
24 hrs old & absolutely love my Ultra & Trail Loop band. Not as big as I thought it would be & no weight at all. Coming from a series 7. Love the trail loop, so comfortable & soft. No problem sleeping in.
Damn, I should’ve gotten that colour

intoxicated662

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
I am debating on whether or not to get the starlight alpine loop now after reading the comments on here. Would you all recommend getting the Green alpine band instead or neither? No one locally has either on display to actually try them on or anything. I was thinking of getting 1 band of each type style. I already have the midnight ocean band and it is comfortable. Ordered the black/gray trail loop, won’t arrive unti December.

LawsMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
I am debating on whether or not to get the starlight alpine loop now after reading the comments on here. Would you all recommend getting the Green alpine band instead or neither? No one locally has either on display to actually try them on or anything. I was thinking of getting 1 band of each type style. I already have the midnight ocean band and it is comfortable. Ordered the black/gray trail loop, won’t arrive unti December.
I really like my green alpine, it’s very comfortable and secure, and personally think the green looks great.
image.jpg

paapplefan

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2015
My 14-return day window was up on last Friday, so of course now I see the watch available with the trail loop at my local Apple Store this week. Not last week. I have just the loop on order, but it's not coming for a few weeks. It is frustrating that just the loop wasn't available earlier. I like the Alpine band more than I thought I would, but I think the trail loop will be better for me. Just have to wait now.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Now in Denver just about every store has the watch paired with the band available in any combination you could possibly want. But the band sold separately is nowhere to be found. Very weird and hopefully a situation that resolves itself soon.

Reactions: paapplefan

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
Now in Denver just about every store has the watch paired with the band available in any combination you could possibly want. But the band sold separately is nowhere to be found. Very weird and hopefully a situation that resolves itself soon.
I noticed that as well. Just about every Apple store by me has the Trail Loop Watch combo in stock but the band separately still says December 20th for me.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
My 14-return day window was up on last Friday, so of course now I see the watch available with the trail loop at my local Apple Store this week. Not last week. I have just the loop on order, but it's not coming for a few weeks. It is frustrating that just the loop wasn't available earlier. I like the Alpine band more than I thought I would, but I think the trail loop will be better for me. Just have to wait now.

I was in a similar situation. I originally got the watch with the orange Alpine Loop in small size which was too small for me. I would have preferred to get it with the black/grey Trail Loop but wasn’t available at launch. I went to swap out the small orange Trail Loop for a medium one a two weeks ago but they told me I’d have to swap out the whole watch which I really didn’t want to do.

I ended up swapping it for one with blue/grey Trail Loop which I have grown to like but I prefer the black/grey one which I have on preorder for delivery between Nov 8th and 15th. I do prefer the Trail Loops over the Alpine and Ocean though.

driekraaien

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2022
I noticed that as well. Just about every Apple store by me has the Trail Loop Watch combo in stock but the band separately still says December 20th for me.

Seems Apple is reserving the available bands to go with the watches. My order for the black trail loop is also estimated for the end of December.

driekraaien

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2022
It’s a pity that availability is an issue, but given the shortage I understand their priority to ship with the watches. It’s not a real issue for me either, I love the Alpine as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.