Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
I have been having issues with several pairs of earbuds I use while running and using the Apple Watch Ultra to stream Apple Music or Pandora. I lose connection often with just about all of them - Soundcore, jabra, Soundpeats, Bose, etc. If I take my iphone with me I never lose have any connection issues. This leads me to believe the bluetooth signal from the watch is weaker than the iPhone. I don't recall having this issue until the last few months or so. Is this common?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I use mine with AirPods and I don't recall ever having this issue. Never tried with third party.

I would expect that the signal would be worse than the phone, certainly, but it should still be completely usable. It might be worth a swap if you have AppleCare or warranty. Un-pair and re-pair first of course to see if that resolves it.

Jl199986

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2024
I’ve have this too. Ultra 1. It’s definitely the watch, as I‘ve tried 5 different sets of earbuds AirPods, AirPods Pro 2 (x2), AirPods Max, and Sony headphones. It disconnects when it has to go across my body when my wrist is down/ back when running. Funny part is it wasn’t like this when new and the watch hasn’t been dropped hard or such. When new it had a strong signal consistently. I wonder if somehow they reduced Bluetooth radio power in an update hoping for better battery life?? I’ve seen people say switch wrists and such, but it remains a too weak signal to stay connected.

unpair /repair, resets, updates, nothing has fixed it.

APPLE- please up the power in the Bluetooth module again!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I’ve have this too. Ultra 1. It’s definitely the watch, as I‘ve tried 5 different sets of earbuds AirPods, AirPods Pro 2 (x2), AirPods Max, and Sony headphones. It disconnects when it has to go across my body when my wrist is down/ back when running. Funny part is it wasn’t like this when new and the watch hasn’t been dropped hard or such. When new it had a strong signal consistently. I wonder if somehow they reduced Bluetooth radio power in an update hoping for better battery life?? I’ve seen people say switch wrists and such, but it remains a too weak signal to stay connected.

I was just going to suggest switching wrists! That’s a shame that it didn’t help.

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone. I think something happened during an update as I used to have a pretty solid connection with most of my earbuds.

Reactions: Carrotcruncher

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
And just this week I was told I should get an Apple Watch to use with wireless earbuds at the gym... instead of wishing we had AirPods Shuffle

(Airpods with a built in iPod Shuffle)

Reactions: Carrotcruncher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.