Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch Ultra will gain a 10% percent larger display upon switching from OLED to microLED in 2026, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce.

apple-watch-ultra-1-1.jpg

The current Apple Watch Ultra has a display size of 1.93-inches, whereas the upcoming microLED model is apparently due to feature a 2.12-inch screen. The microLED panel is estimated to cost two to three times more than the equivalent OLED display used in the current model, at a price of around $120. It is due to be supplied by Germany's ams OSRAM and South Korea's LG Display.

Apple's plan to bring a microLED display to the Apple Watch Ultra is very widely corroborated, starting with a report from display analyst Ross Young in January 2023. The advanced display offers improved brightness, color reproduction, dynamic range, viewing angles, and efficiency, making images look more like they are "painted" atop the display glass. The project is part of Apple's plan to reduce its reliance on Samsung as a supplier while yielding benefits from engineering its own displays in-house, just like its chip technology.

TrendForce's 2026 launch time frame for the microLED Apple Watch Ultra remains unchanged and is later than several other sources, which have largely centered on 2025.

Apple has reportedly been working on custom microLED display technology for almost a decade. The company is said to have plans to replace all of its existing LCD, OLED, and mini-LED panels with microLED in the long term, with the technology being designed to be scaled up from the Apple Watch to the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Vision Pro headset.

Article Link: Apple Watch Ultra With 10% Larger Display and MicroLED Expected to Launch in 2026

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I bought the Ultra 2 a week ago. Yes it is large, but I am fine with the current size.

However, I cannot imagine wanting or needing an even larger piece of metal strapped to my wrist.

Let's hope Apple don't go crazy with this and we end up where we are today with these massive iPhones…

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
That 2.12-inch screen might seem big, but you know what's a really huge deal? The 2030-and-later Apple Watch sizes, which I'm leaking right here:
pipboy.jpg

I guess you could say this is quite the explosive reveal. ☢

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I bought the Ultra 2 a week ago. Yes it is large, but I am fine with the current size.

However, I cannot imagine wanting or needing an even larger piece of metal strapped to my wrist.

Let's hope Apple don't go crazy with this and we end up where we are today with these massive iPhones…
You do know it’s called making the bezels slimmer not making the whole watch bigger

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
You do know it’s called making the bezels slimmer not making the whole watch bigger
I have read the article a few times just to check, as I may have missed it.

Please show me in the article where it says that.

Happy to be wrong.

Thanks! 👍

Edit:
Just not sure we got to the current 6.7" size from the original 3.5" screen by slimming bezels… but if that's what you want to call it go ahead.

I call it making the casing larger…

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
You do know the watch size will be the same but the screen will be bigger so don’t understand you guys
Yes, I was just making a simple joke to try and put a smile on some people’s faces. 🙂

Apologies for not making it perfectly clear that I’m aware that the outside face dimensions are remaining the same, and the screen size increase is purely engineering genius of making smaller bezels. 🤓

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Rotate this "need to make bigger" Watch to LANDSCAPE and make height as tall as the existing. WIDTH would add much screen space but still look fine on a wrist (where we all have plenty of space for wider but not necessarily much more arm for taller). Classic examples of "landscape" watches to illustrate long term precedent for watch orientation like this...

WideFaceWatches.jpg

How often do you use your phone or tablet in landscape orientation? You always use MB and desktop that way. Watch would work just as well wider than it is tall. And that would deliver more screen space for apps and space for more battery too.

Think different.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmi

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
I have an Ultra. I'm 6' 3" and 270lbs with giant man mits to match. The Ultra is big enough as it is.

If Apple makes it too big, there will be a second hand market for the Ultra and Ultra 2.

I love my first generation Ultra. It's still my favorite personal item and watch. I have several "non smart" watches I acquired over the years, and the Ultra is my go to.

This thing is big enough, though. Don't make it any bigger.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Rotate the Watch to LANDSCAPE and make height as tall as the existing. WIDTH would add much space but still look fine on a wrist (where we all have plenty of space for wider but not necessarily much more arm for taller. Classic example of "landscape" watch...

How often do you use your phone or tablet in landscape orientation? You always use or MB and desktop that way. Watch would work just as well wider than it is tall. And that would buy screen space for apps and space for more battery too.

Think different.

That's a really bad idea when flexing the wrists back. I already hit button on my series 6 when doing pushups, planks or downward dog.

Reactions: arkitect

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
And still Apple don’t get it!
The AW Ultra, by their own marketing, is a watch for the outdoor enthusiasts.
Perhaps instead of making it brighter, and making images crisper, that they focus on their marketing remit, and what their customers want. Oh I forgot, they know best.
We don’t want a brighter screen, it’s already too bright, we want longer battery life, on device mapping and routing, and training metrics (like HRV recorded and presented every second)
Until then, the Garmin Epix Pro will win out!

P.S. Cue the fanboys with the smart watch blah, makes calls blah, most of that can be done, when hooking up with an Android Phone! Yes Fanbois, there’s another phone iOS out there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.